Ideas for a FW desktop tank - Reefs.com

Home  / Forums  / Global Forums  / Freshwater  /  Ideas for a FW desktop tank
Ideas for a FW desktop tank
07-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Been playing with the idea of getting a small AIO tank like a Fluval Spec or Ecoxotic EcoPico for my computer desk in my bedroom (my reef tank is out in my living room). Was thinking I could get a handful of small, active FW fish and a couple of plants.

Can anyone suggest a good starting point for me? Want to get fish and plants that are pretty hardy/low maintenance and preferably with nice colors.

07-12-2011, 10:28 AM
You can get killifish. Those are really small and colorful. Apistogrammas come in a variety of types and colors as well but they need a bigger tank.

Try throwing in some shrimp in there. I really like the freshwater shrimp. Cherry shrimp are nice. if you can get crystal shrimp, a little more expensive, but really nice looking

Psycho-ologist
07-12-2011, 01:44 PM
How about a regular 10 gallon tank with lower light needing plants and a small school of cardinal tetras?

07-13-2011, 03:12 AM
Theres cute lil puffers you can get they are like pea puffers or something..a pygmy breed they are like 1/2"

07-13-2011, 03:13 AM
guppies are also colorful but they breed like crazy you might have to sell some for feeders lol

Vendor: WingoLED
07-13-2011, 06:03 PM
I put baby Glo Fish in my Spec. I also have crystal shrimp other Spec tank before but I am upgrading this to a larger EBI.

A Presentation of Tank Bred Designer Clownfish and other Live Stock

WingoLED.com..... Email WingoAgency@yahoo.com ........... SMS/Text: 347 878 3092

07-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Killies are really nice little fish, my favorite I kept was my Aphyosemion striatum. There are a few nice little gobies as well sold as Gudgeons. My favorite little FW fish though are probably Threadfin Rainbows (Iriathena weneri I think). Beautiful little guys. Harlequin Rasboras are another nice one.

For plants, I always loved Java Moss. It looks just like moss and grows fast and doesn't need much light. Anubius sp are good too but they grow VERY slowly.

Almost forgot another amazing little FW fish. Galaxy Rasboras. i never kept them but they are tiny and very nice little fish. You should check out azgardens.com. Very nice site to get some ideas from. They sell TONS of little FW fish and shrimp.

I love FW threads! Most of my experience is FW. Anyway, you also might want to check out the dwarf Corydoras catfish. They are really cool. Cory hastatus is the most common one I have seen. Great little cleaners. You could also toss and Otttocinclus or 2 in there for algae control. Although the plants should out compete the algae. The good thing about Ottos is that they usually don't bother the plants.

Last edited by howze01; 07-13-2011 at 06:40 PM.

Vendor: WingoLED
07-15-2011, 11:46 PM
Why are you giving us the website link? Now, I want to get shrimps that costed only $1.95 but shipping is like $60 next day air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howze01 View Post
Killies are really nice little fish, my favorite I kept was my Aphyosemion striatum. There are a few nice little gobies as well sold as Gudgeons. My favorite little FW fish though are probably Threadfin Rainbows (Iriathena weneri I think). Beautiful little guys. Harlequin Rasboras are another nice one.

For plants, I always loved Java Moss. It looks just like moss and grows fast and doesn't need much light. Anubius sp are good too but they grow VERY slowly.

Almost forgot another amazing little FW fish. Galaxy Rasboras. i never kept them but they are tiny and very nice little fish. You should check out azgardens.com. Very nice site to get some ideas from. They sell TONS of little FW fish and shrimp.

I love FW threads! Most of my experience is FW. Anyway, you also might want to check out the dwarf Corydoras catfish. They are really cool. Cory hastatus is the most common one I have seen. Great little cleaners. You could also toss and Otttocinclus or 2 in there for algae control. Although the plants should out compete the algae. The good thing about Ottos is that they usually don't bother the plants.

A Presentation of Tank Bred Designer Clownfish and other Live Stock

WingoLED.com..... Email WingoAgency@yahoo.com ........... SMS/Text: 347 878 3092

07-16-2011, 12:09 AM
Well, if you buy 2 shrimp, then it's only $30 each to ship them! See, I'm saving you money now!! If you want to go crazy, buy 3, then it's only $20 each for shipping.....

08-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Thanks for your suggestions guys.

I ended up going for a Fluval Spec today. Took a trip out to Tropical Aquariums in Deer Park and they gave me the hook up. Great people, stock and service!

Here's what I ended up with:
- Fluval Spec (running stock filter - biomax, foam and carbon)
- Stock lights/stock pump
- Three Neon Tetras
- Approx. 2 lb. black gravel substrate (from established tank)
- Approx. 2 gallons water (from established tank)
- Approx. 1 lb. of stones (also established tank)
- Nice big ball of Java Moss

Was told that the cycle should be non-existent or minimal (everything was kept wet for the drive home); I will keep an eye out and will probably do a water change tomorrow just to be safe. I still love my reef but I'll be damned if planted FW tanks don't look cool too