jnelson

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Been playing with the idea of getting a small AIO tank like a Fluval Spec or Ecoxotic EcoPico for my computer desk in my bedroom (my reef tank is out in my living room). Was thinking I could get a handful of small, active FW fish and a couple of plants.

Can anyone suggest a good starting point for me? Want to get fish and plants that are pretty hardy/low maintenance and preferably with nice colors.

richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
You can get killifish. Those are really small and colorful. Apistogrammas come in a variety of types and colors as well but they need a bigger tank.

Try throwing in some shrimp in there. I really like the freshwater shrimp. Cherry shrimp are nice. if you can get crystal shrimp, a little more expensive, but really nice looking

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Killies are really nice little fish, my favorite I kept was my Aphyosemion striatum. There are a few nice little gobies as well sold as Gudgeons. My favorite little FW fish though are probably Threadfin Rainbows (Iriathena weneri I think). Beautiful little guys. Harlequin Rasboras are another nice one.

For plants, I always loved Java Moss. It looks just like moss and grows fast and doesn't need much light. Anubius sp are good too but they grow VERY slowly.

Almost forgot another amazing little FW fish. Galaxy Rasboras. i never kept them but they are tiny and very nice little fish. You should check out azgardens.com. Very nice site to get some ideas from. They sell TONS of little FW fish and shrimp.

I love FW threads! Most of my experience is FW. Anyway, you also might want to check out the dwarf Corydoras catfish. They are really cool. Cory hastatus is the most common one I have seen. Great little cleaners. You could also toss and Otttocinclus or 2 in there for algae control. Although the plants should out compete the algae. The good thing about Ottos is that they usually don't bother the plants.

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Why are you giving us the website link? Now, I want to get shrimps that costed only $1.95 but shipping is like $60 next day air.:argue:

Killies are really nice little fish, my favorite I kept was my Aphyosemion striatum. There are a few nice little gobies as well sold as Gudgeons. My favorite little FW fish though are probably Threadfin Rainbows (Iriathena weneri I think). Beautiful little guys. Harlequin Rasboras are another nice one.

For plants, I always loved Java Moss. It looks just like moss and grows fast and doesn't need much light. Anubius sp are good too but they grow VERY slowly.

Almost forgot another amazing little FW fish. Galaxy Rasboras. i never kept them but they are tiny and very nice little fish. You should check out azgardens.com. Very nice site to get some ideas from. They sell TONS of little FW fish and shrimp.

I love FW threads! Most of my experience is FW. Anyway, you also might want to check out the dwarf Corydoras catfish. They are really cool. Cory hastatus is the most common one I have seen. Great little cleaners. You could also toss and Otttocinclus or 2 in there for algae control. Although the plants should out compete the algae. The good thing about Ottos is that they usually don't bother the plants.

jnelson

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Thanks for your suggestions guys.

I ended up going for a Fluval Spec today. Took a trip out to Tropical Aquariums in Deer Park and they gave me the hook up. Great people, stock and service!

Here's what I ended up with:
- Fluval Spec (running stock filter - biomax, foam and carbon)
- Stock lights/stock pump
- Three Neon Tetras
- Approx. 2 lb. black gravel substrate (from established tank)
- Approx. 2 gallons water (from established tank)
- Approx. 1 lb. of stones (also established tank)
- Nice big ball of Java Moss

Was told that the cycle should be non-existent or minimal (everything was kept wet for the drive home); I will keep an eye out and will probably do a water change tomorrow just to be safe. I still love my reef but I'll be damned if planted FW tanks don't look cool too :)

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
You can add the Aqua plus and Cycle, I think, that come with Spec tank just to be safe. It will stabilize your new water and jump your bacteria if a cycle is needed.

If you are going with planted tank, you should increase the power of the stock light to a minimum of 4W LED. The little guys that come with the tank is only 2W. I can sustained java moss but not growing them. I have couple Spec tank under various test configurations.

Last edited:

jnelson

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
I noticed that Tropical Aquariums actually had some GU10 bulbs on their Fluval Specs, might look into something like that. If it won't be overkill, I may even shoot for an all white PAR bulb.

If I go the PAR bulb route, can I just get one of the "regular" PAR bulbs from somewhere like Home Depot? It doesn't seem like I would need an aquarium-specific one just to grow the plants but I could be wrong.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean Tropical Island Aquarium? There are three nano tanks under the main 90g display tank when you walk in. The middle tank is a spec, the tanks on the left and right side are fluval edge. The fluval edge reef tank has two 12" led strips from Wingo, the planted edge has mr16 leds from Wingo and strips. The bulb you saw on the spec was not able to grow plants, really just algae haha maybe with daily water changes it would work out, but no I think home depot PAR prob won't work too well. The spec is $79.99 and that Wingo bulb was $98. Kinda just a $hits and Giggles tank, idk if you've seen it in the last 3 weeks but that spec is now a pico reed w/2 lbs live sand 2 pounds LR(approx) one green Duncan and one small clown

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Have you seen this thread on tpt ? http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/planted-nano-tanks/138344-show-me-your-spec-3.html

Some of the guys have the stock light running for plants but you really have a limited choice of what to put under the stock lights.

If you get new bulbs for that, make sure the spectrum is 5500K-6500K or Daylight bulbs. I'm not sure if homedepot carries those for the PAR bulbs.
If you want to go with minimum cost, you can try using a desk lamp and fit in a 9 bulb daylight spiral CFL to light up your spec. It will be more than enough light that you'll need for it.
Here is a good read regarding the spiral CFL http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lighting/85667-par-data-spiral-power-saver-bulbs-2.html

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
This tank has been lit by my 4x1W and 3x2W LED at times for 3 months since Mother's day which I bought to the show.
This is one of my FW baby rearing tank but I found that the power head seems to strong for that purpose.

Water has not been changed since then. The same Moss ball but much larger now, I would say about double in size. However, it's seems to be getting out of hands-the new growth is everywhere but does not take a ball shape. The low light demanding plant to the left and covering most of the the back ground is grown out from one branch of it smaller than my pinky. This plant's stem and leave can stay above water surface unto at least 1 feet when I was using this plant as a filter for my turtles. If you look closely on the surface sticking out from the back some very high light demanding plants start to grow back from green to purple in a week I put there.

I would say the best color and growth for plants is 6,700K but it grows a little bit of algae on the glass. So I changed it to 12,000K, a bit too white but does not support algae growth and so far it's over a month that the glass does not require cleaning.

I just called Tropical, he say the MR 16 bulb and power supply over his Spec tank is only $49.00 not $98. It may be a different model Train is referring.

PAR bulb is an over kill.

Both PAR bulb and GU10 runs at line voltage which is not as safe as low voltage MR16's 12v

Attachments

• Spec Tank Planted Under 3x2W Wingo LED for 3 months IMG_1911 copy.jpg
    Spec Tank Planted Under 3x2W Wingo LED for 3 months IMG_1911 copy.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 99
  • Spec Tank Planted Under 3x2W WingoLED for 3 months IMG_1910.jpg
    Spec Tank Planted Under 3x2W WingoLED for 3 months IMG_1910.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: