A

Anonymous

Hmm. It goes for the equivalent of about $390 over here! 8O

I might have to make this something I try and pick up in Japan at some point. You'd think it'd be cheaper over there (but I haven't checked yet and won't assume...).

A

Anonymous

If you can get it from ADA Japan, I would definitely figure it for cheaper. The ADA supplies I get here are all Japanese imports so the price I'm paying includes the freight cost of moving it from there to here.

The only thing you might be able to get cheaper in europe than by going through Japan might be the ADA rimless tanks. I've been told those are actually manufactured in germany.

A

Anonymous

Time for me to do some research. Now back to our regular scheduled program!

A

Anonymous

I’m beginning to suspect the algae I’m dealing with may in fact be cladophora, which is a bit tougher to eradicate than, well, anything else. If I got a good enough photo, would any of you be able to identify it?

If it is clado, my options get a lot more limited.

A

Anonymous

you can try squirting peroxide directly onto most algaes with a small (1ml) squeeze bulb syringe, btw-i've seen that trick work wonders :)

A

Anonymous

So have I. If it's not clado, that's my method of last resort. If it is clado, it's moot - H202 is reportedly ineffectual against the stuff. So are blackouts, excel overdosing, and the "conventional wisdom" of upping fertilizer dosing.

A

Anonymous

Sigh. After doing a lot of investigating and staring at an awful lot of pictures of algae, I'm just about convinced cladophora is indeed what I'm dealing with.

This is a bit of a problem. So much so that the general advice I've been given so far consists of, "Break down the tank and start over - it'll be the only guaranteed solution, and easier than anything else you could try."

This stuff seems to be the bogeyman of planted tanks.

Yet in all the digging I've done, I have seen a few reports of people who have had success getting rid of it... a few with excel overdosing, a few with h202, one with rosey barbs (not an option for me, due to their size and aggressiveness), one with amano shrimp. For each report of success with a given method though, I can find ten others reporting that that particular method didn't work.

Being the first planted tank I've set up, I've regarded this all along as a learning experience. That being the case, I've no intention of tearing the tank down at this time. Instead, I'm going to try all of the "iffy" solutions, one at a time, and see if I can't figure out a way to beat it.

Since some of you are talking about it giving this a go, let me give a piece of advice:
Do not buy plants mail order domestically. It's fine to get them from other hobbyists, but I'm positive the introduction of the algae I'm dealing with came from plants I received from a particular vendor. Plants grown in Singapore have to receive a phytosanitary certificate to enter the country - which means no snails, no snail eggs, no algae. Of the singapore growers, www.aquaspotworld.com is probably the overall best.

To start the course of treatment, for the next week or so I'll attempt spot treatments with excel at twice the recommended dosage. If that doesn't work I'll give H202 a shot after that.

A

Anonymous

I don't know if it is the same but I do get hair algae on my 20gl (1 year) and 1g nano (6 months). The both have 2-3 Watts per gallon of 6500k lighting. I just harvest it every now and then. both seem to be slowly crowding out the stuff.

By contrast my 6 year old 10g never gets the stuff. It has 1.5 watts per gallon of light at a much lower K value.

my .02

A

Anonymous

Hair algae is what I thought I was dealing with, but cladophora is something else. Here's a couple pics (not my tank):

cladophora1.jpg

cladophora3.jpg

Also for reference, it feels rather gritty if you rub it between your fingers. Not slimy at all, like you'd get with other types of thread like algae.

A

Anonymous

cjdevito":3s1s4q73 said:
If you can get it from ADA Japan, I would definitely figure it for cheaper.

Just for interest, they go for about $225 or £116/€155. When I start, I'm going to have to place an order with my brother in law...

A

Anonymous

Just to document this is one place so I have it for reference later...

Starting Excel overdose treatment tonight. Will use a dosage of 7.5 ml every other day, which I will adjust as needed. Turn off filter, spot treating via pipette, concentrating on cladophora strings that are in with the HC lawn, wait 10 minutes then turn filter back on.

If anyone is wondering why this is supposed to do any good, Excel contains a non-trivial amount of gluteraldehyde, an anti- well, everything. It's used in many commercial algaecides, as well as embalming, hospital disinfectants, etc. This is why one has to be careful not to overdose with Excel. However, a lot of people have experimented with dosages twice and three times as much as recommended and seen it beat back considerable infestations of algae, and without hitting concentrations so high that it causes problems for the other life in the tank. The dosage I'm using is overall about three times as much as recommended, but skipping one day between treatments so I can instead hit it with a hammer twice as hard when I treat the tank.

A

Anonymous

Yes, I know. However, nothing I'm keeping is at all sensitive to the stuff. I also know the tank can handle a dosage of 7.5 ml because that's exactly the recommended amount to add to a tank this size after performing a large water change, so it's gotten a dose that heavy numerous times in the past with no ill effects.

A

Anonymous

Update: There seems to be some positive progress :D

Came home from work today and noticed that the patch of cladophora I've spot treated with Excel twice now has gone white. With just the slightest hint of pink. Even better, some other clado elsewhere in the tank has started to pale a bit - leading me to believe that I won't even need to spot treat every little clump, as perhaps the excel in the water column is gradually having an effect itself.

I don't want to sound too confident at this stage, but I'm definitely feeling optimistic now.

All fish and plants are doing just fine. The only affects of the excel overdosing on them has been a pronounced growth spurt on the part of the stem plants.

A

Anonymous

cjdevito":k8ytgdix said:
Update: There seems to be some positive progress :D

Came home from work today and noticed that the patch of cladophora I've spot treated with Excel twice now has gone white. With just the slightest hint of pink. Even better, some other clado elsewhere in the tank has started to pale a bit - leading me to believe that I won't even need to spot treat every little clump, as perhaps the excel in the water column is gradually having an effect itself.

I don't want to sound too confident at this stage, but I'm definitely feeling optimistic now.

All fish and plants are doing just fine. The only affects of the excel overdosing on them has been a pronounced growth spurt on the part of the stem plants.

i was dosing excel at 3-4 times the 'recommended' dosage and never had an issue other than the plants doing better than i had expected, and all nuisance algaes eventually disappearing-i doubt you'll have any issues arise from it's 'overuse' ;)

A

Anonymous

beaslbob":12lpn38z said:
plants like anacharis and vals are also harmed with excel

i don't know about anacharis/elodea, but i've had nothing but good results with both italian, and corkscrew vals with excel :)

A

Anonymous

Update: Been dosing 7.5 ml of Excel daily for a week now. Pretty much has solved the algae issues. Some of the stuff continues to hang on, but very little remains. I think I can honestly say it's dealt with, now. And far more easily than I was led to believe it could be.

A

Anonymous

To celebrate, here are some new pics.

Attachments

• arcuatagrowth.jpg
    arcuatagrowth.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 99
  • leftcloseupwkillie.jpg
    leftcloseupwkillie.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 103
  • fulltank20080130.jpg
    fulltank20080130.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 101
A

Anonymous

More pics...

Attachments

• killiespawn.jpg
    killiespawn.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 103
  • killieclose2.jpg
    killieclose2.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 105
  • killieclose.jpg
    killieclose.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 99
A

Anonymous

Can I get a woot, woot?

Looking very good. I'm actually coming round to the idea of one of these smaller tanks. 8)

PS: just shown the wife. She was impressed. You're helping me out here. :lol:

What are the dimensions of the tank btw? Regular float glass or the opti-white high clarity equivalent? I'm looking at what I think may be the same tanks, supplied in the UK (though they're confusingly not marked ADA tanks).

Same ones?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: