A

Anonymous

To support the false bottom, I used small unglazed, unsealed (no wax) terracotta pot saucers. The terracotta wicks water with it's porous structure, making it easy to evaporate into RH. So far, it gives a boost of 4-5% over the ambient, and it also helps sustain the occasional boost from the fogger. Once plants are in, the ambient RH will also in increase significantly.

Attachments

• falsebottom.jpg
    falsebottom.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 270
  • saucers.jpg
    saucers.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 272
A

Anonymous

Most of the plants are mounted, so to accommodate hanging them, I wrapped two sides (the back in the far side) in hardware cloth. This is the last step until May, most likely, since I can't afford the misting kit and lighting until next paycheck.

Attachments

• wocolumn.jpg
    wocolumn.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 266
A

Anonymous

Looks pretty solid so far. Can't wait to see the plants in there.

Eff the frogs! :evil:

Peace,

Chip ;)

A

Anonymous

Looks nice so far Chris.

You could always catch one of the abundant green anoles around here and toss one in later if you are starved for movement.

A

Anonymous

Yep, looking good.
When I move to a place that has more light I'm going to start tinkering with a hardy species or two.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mistking kit that I'll use for automatic watering came in today. It's basically a super high end RO/DI system pressure pump with misting nozzles. Very nice, hopefully it's reliable and durable.

Attachments

• mkins3.jpg
    mkins3.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 206
  • mkins2.jpg
    mkins2.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 205
  • mkins1.jpg
    mkins1.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 205
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Chris, how man species are you planning for this thing?

I keep seeing orchids for sale in various places, even Home Depot. I'm tempted to grab one, but still have done zero research.

I need something that will do well just sitting in a window, and can tolerate temp drops down to 50 or so. I don't have the space for a vivarium type setup yet.

Anyway, looking good.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JimM":e2qz51ll said:
Hey Chris, how man species are you planning for this thing?

However many will fit, maybe more.

I keep seeing orchids for sale in various places, even Home Depot. I'm tempted to grab one, but still have done zero research.

Probably all damn dirty hybrids.

I need something that will do well just sitting in a window, and can tolerate temp drops down to 50 or so. I don't have the space for a vivarium type setup yet.

Pretty much any cattleya hybrid will do fine as long as the window gets some direct sun in the morning or late afternoon.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
coprolite":3rqq2g96 said:
Most of the plants are mounted, so to accommodate hanging them, I wrapped two sides (the back in the far side) in hardware cloth.

Can you go into detail about how the cloth is secured? Or is it?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_":1k3ytsoe said:
coprolite":1k3ytsoe said:
Most of the plants are mounted, so to accommodate hanging them, I wrapped two sides (the back in the far side) in hardware cloth.

Can you go into detail about how the cloth is secured? Or is it?

Matt, I just made hooks out of Aluminum hanging wire and hooked them into the cloth and then over the sides, where the gaps in the acrylic lid are.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, as an update, most of my collection was killed or extremely damaged in a shipping incident, and I sold much of the rest. The tank is finished, everything is automated. I still have a handful of plants, but I've been pretty down on it lately after the incident. I still have a few species that are only in a handful of collections in the country, all from Papua New Guinea.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks. Sorry to hear it :(

....want some riccia? I think it'd do okay emersed grown in your setup, and it's about all I have to offer that would.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
coprolite":3ds7fp45 said:
No worries guys. These things happen. Fortunately, like I said, I didn't lose any rare ones. I just dropped coin on new plants that should get here next week. Mostly really small divisions, all of them from Papua New Guinea except for one.

http://forum.theorchidsource.com/cgi-bi ... 9;t=011415
http://forum.theorchidsource.com/cgi-bi ... 107#000000
http://forum.theorchidsource.com/cgi-bi ... 123#000000
http://forum.theorchidsource.com/cgi-bi ... 9;t=011187

Wow, 100% hit rate. Love all of 'em. 8)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: