A

Anonymous

Hi folks, I just got an Oceanic reef ready 70 gallon, 36" wide x 18" deep x 24" tall with the intention of making it into a fully automated orchidarium for growing lowland to low upland rainforest orchid species, primarily Bulbophyllum from Papua New Guinea and the Western Pacific Warm Pool islands. This means that the tank will need to have constant high humidity, high moisture supply, yet still maintain hearty fresh air supply and strong internal air circulation. Construction will be probably slow, as funds and time allow. I will post updates as I go.

Here's the tank on the "stand":

Attachments

• newtank032708.jpg
    newtank032708.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 297
A

Anonymous

The air in the apartment is way too dry, so I need a timeable, reliable way of humidifying the tank when fresh air is being fanned in. I bought a $30 Reli-On cool mist ultrasonic humidifier and plumbed it using 3/4" ID flexible tubing to one of the the 1" bulkheads in the bottom of the overflow. The fog emanates pleasantly from the the slats of the overflow tower and rapidly fills the tank. This fogger will run when a fan, which will be plumbed to the second overflow drain hole, is pumping fresh air into the tank.

Attachments

• humidifierblkhd.jpg
    humidifierblkhd.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 299
  • relionhumid.jpg
    relionhumid.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 296
A

Anonymous

Test run of the fogger.

Attachments

• tankfogged.jpg
    tankfogged.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 292
  • tankfogging2.jpg
    tankfogging2.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 295
A

Anonymous

Already found a problem. The low spot in the tubing fills up rapidly with condensed water and blocks the flow of the mist completely, so in order to eliminate the low spot, I changed fittings to make a hard 90 instead of the curve of the tubing. Now the tubing runs straight across.

Attachments

• newfitting1.jpg
    newfitting1.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 289
A

Anonymous

Looks pretty cool so far. Any pics of the species you'll be keeping in it?

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

I'll be watching this one too. One thing that always intrigues me about terraria with regular fogging, is how do you keep the glass clear from condensation and algae growth? Just regular cleaning?

A

Anonymous

The Escaped Ape":1fuw039w said:
I'll be watching this one too. One thing that always intrigues me about terraria with regular fogging, is how do you keep the glass clear from condensation and algae growth? Just regular cleaning?

Tom, a properly constructed orchidarium should have enough fresh air coming in and enough internal air circulation that condensation doesn't really occur. Condensation from overnight temp drops + high humidity from a seal tank can cause rot and is something that should be avoided at all costs.

A

Anonymous

Hey! That stand is from Ikea. It's what I used for the television for that log cabin we sold in Tahoe. Pretty good deal, huh? 8)

How's Austin suiting you so far?

A

Anonymous

Austin's great, but I hate being landlocked. That's my only real complaint. The job is awesome, the department/university are also awesome.

The stand is perfect, for $50, it's pretty well constructed, and it has a crosspiece with a gap normally for cords, but I matched it up with the holes from the overflow, so I didn't have to drill a hole in the stand.

A

Anonymous

Looks good so far Chris. What do you do for substrate / medium? Oh yeah and if you are looking for other plants like bromeliads and stuff there's a good tropical plant store not far from where I live on Lamar and Kramer called 'It's A Jungle' you should check out sometime.

I am thinking of turning that half circle tank I have into a brackish mudskipper paludarium complete with mangroves and a tidal system.

A

Anonymous

Goldstein":3bhwc1sn said:
Looks good so far Chris. What do you do for substrate / medium? Oh yeah and if you are looking for other plants like bromeliads and stuff there's a good tropical plant store not far from where I live on Lamar and Kramer called 'It's A Jungle' you should check out sometime.

I am thinking of turning that half circle tank I have into a brackish mudskipper paludarium complete with mangroves and a tidal system.

I think that would be badass and you should go for it. I've already been to 'It's a Jungle'. Nice folks. It's the only "orchid" place in town, so of course I visited on like my first week.

A

Anonymous

My ADDA waterproof fans came in today. The 60 mm one will pump fresh air from the overflow drain and the 92 mm will provide strong internal air circulation. If you ever need to do a viv or something where you will use a fan in a high moisture/condensation situation, I cannot recommend these fans highly enough. They will run even if completely submerged.

Attachments

• fans.jpg
    fans.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 251
A

Anonymous

I dunno, that's a lot of money I could be spending on plants instead!

A

Anonymous

So I had to figure out a way to mount a 60 mm fan to pull air from a 1" hole of the overflow bulkhead in the tight space of the overflow box. So I picked up a PVC electrical access box and set the fan 45 degrees relative to the intake end to give a smooth angled transition from the 60 mm fan diameter to the 1" intake. I sealed the edges with great stuff foam, and will trim off the excess using a utility knife when it fully cures. I won't put a lid on the electrical box to allow the push side of the fan to vent to the tank without restriction.

Attachments

• fanboxintake.jpg
    fanboxintake.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 217
  • fanbox.jpg
    fanbox.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 216
A

Anonymous

Just got the acrylic top, custom cut 3/8" cell cast with holes drilled for the mister bulkheads and the mounting screws for the internal circulation fans. Note the gaps to vent the air being pushed into the tank to make it a flow through air system.

Attachments

• Acryliclid1.jpg
    Acryliclid1.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 196
  • acrylic2.jpg
    acrylic2.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 195
A

Anonymous

So I just installed the electrical box with the intake fan and wired it up. When you stick your hand/face near the side slats in the acrylic top, you can really feel the air pushing out. I think it's going to work perfectly. Also attached is an image of the lid with the internal circulation fan mounted.

Attachments

• circfaninstall.jpg
    circfaninstall.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 190
  • intakefaninstall.jpg
    intakefaninstall.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 189
A

Anonymous

My weather station came in today. Awesome. With the bottom filled with a little bit of water, the tank maintains ambient humidity of 72%, WITHOUT the fogger running, even with the fresh air pumping in. The apt humidity is 46%. Now I gotta get a surge protector and timers.

Attachments

• Weatherstation.jpg
    Weatherstation.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 180

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: