russianmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Kathy - that looks amazing! To have a realy koi pond is the ONE reason I want to leave Brooklyn. Here's what my goldfish pool looks like:
earlypond.jpg

I know all too well that Koi get too big - so I only have some fancy carp in there. Where do you get your water hyacinth? I end up going to Hicks nursery (they seem to have a really good aquatic gardening section).

I also had to get rid of that cattail - it grew so huge. This spring, I am putting in a miniature one.

Beautiful job on all your projects!

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Thanks guys & gals :)

Lissa..nervous energy..you know why...lol

Russian..I LOVE your stone work! Very pretty!! When it gets a little warmer all of the bigger nurserys should have water hyacinth. LMK if you can't find any. Agreed the cattails can be a pain..I've taken mine out of the pond a couple of times (they're in a milk crate to contain them) & each time they continue growing even on land! Then I feel guilty & put them back in.. The mini version ones are very nice..maybe this year :)

Dom..no fishing!..unless I can fish in yours...lol

Michael...tyvm..and your help planting those bushes last fall was great..your green thumb showed through. Now...regarding Sammy puppies and digging in my yard..not happening. My future puppy & I will take a lot of long walks, but he'll only be in the yard with major supervision...

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
thanks for sharing the photos. we could have collaborated and made a DIY pond book :)

I think you need your own design show.

Chapz

Chap Attack Begin!!!!!
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Looks great. DIY is sometimes the best to do.
I didnt realize this thread was that long.
This gives everyone an understanding on how hard work can pay off.
Awesome job Kathy.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Wow..almost 4 months have gone by...and they've been a lousy 4 months for my pond.
The good news is I found homes for about 70 fish that had spawned in the pond over the past 2 seasons. The bad news is I lost a bunch of my Koi starting shortly after that. The fish looked great, but they were dying, no symptoms that we could see. I still have one in my freezer that is getting shipped off to a University for a necropsy to try and figure it out, so that maybe it won't happen again.. Hopefully whatever it was has now passed as I haven't lost a fish in almost 3 weeks now. But while it was happening I lost 2 of my biggest/oldest Koi (and about 12 smaller fish) and that was heartbreaking for me.
I'm continuing to feed an antibacterial pellet as they have less likelyhood of impacting the balance in the pond and I'll probably continue to do so for another week due to all of the new water.
The other bad news is the pond sprung a leak. :( Over the course of the last 2 weeks I've had to add approximately 5 or 6,000 (yes, thousand) gallons of water. Last night things went critical and I decided to bite the bullet today and gather up the stuff I would need to make repairs.
A gallon of Stress Coat, a kiddie pool and a new $400 liner....ouch...and a vacation day spent in the yard instead of on the boat. Nuts!

Took a few pics in between moving fish and rocks...

Early in the day..need to drain the water that was still in the pond..
IMG_2498.jpg

I'd taken the fish and smaller plants out and put them into a 6' kiddie pool...nice green water eh? lol
IMG_2500.jpg

Almost empty...there was a nasty puncture low in the liner that I didn't get a pic of..I put a big patch on it and left the old liner in place and put the new one directly over it. Swept up all the gunk off the bottom and removed it..
IMG_2504.jpg

Finally got the new liner in and started to put all of the rocks around the edges...
IMG_2505.jpg

The milkcrate with the cattails were added back and the hoses got cranked up..
IMG_2507.jpg

I was seriously running out of daylight by this point and had to get the filters running again (they were isolated for the hours this took to do and each was oxygenated by placing the pump inside of the filters to keep the bacteria alive), and needed to get the plants and fish back into the pond.

By the time the last fish was moved from the kiddie pool it was about 9:45pm (started this oddessey in the morning...). The water finally finished filling about 11:30 tonight..so I'll have to wait until the morning to see if the fish are still ok but I expect they should be (fingers crossed!!..and I have been peeking with a flashlight) I'll try and grab a quick pic before I head off to the boat in the morning...ahhh back to vacation time :)
I smooshed a few of my plants while doing this and the crud that came off the bottom of the pond rates right up there with skimmate as far as smell..so maybe I'll visit the yard again after we have a good hard rain...lol

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Update..the fish are all present & accounted for :)...but the yard is a MESS :( ...mud everywhere, trampled everything...so the pics will wait a bit till I clean it back up :bablefish..good news is the pond is still full of water!! Yippee :party:
Off to the boat first though ;)

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
is there anything Kathy cant do? :tongue1:

Oh plenty Dexter!! I just love to play in dirt (..as in soil...) so that all is a pleasure & not work to me :)

I don't think she can impregnate a woman.
Thxs for clearing that up for me Russ..lol
...but ..if I went to medical school and became a doctor... and then went into the right speciality...hmmm..

Where there's a will...! ;)

Thanks for the kind words Leslie, Ryan, Chong!! :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: