crox99

Audi Sport
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Kathy,

I don't know how this thread passed right by me but it was during tax season.......Anyway I can't stop looking at the first set of pictures and even my wife loves them.....BTW will you have some time next year to help me build these piece of heaven in my backyard? (that's when we move to LI):splitspin

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Sure Crox, I'd be more than happy to give you & Stephanie some ideas and clue you in on the things I did wrong in building mine :)

A couple of quick shots I took sometime over the weekend. The crystal clear new water only lasted a couple of days and now I have algae building back up. Not concerned as it is only 'green water' (no string algae) ans it will go away as soon as the water hyacinth get some bulk on them.
I removed the smaller waterfall that came in from the side and will reconfigure the piping that comes from the second barrel filter so it empties into the pond from the far end to improve water movement.
I finally tied all of my water lilies down into baskets for better control, but a couple of them sunk below the new higher water surface (about 3+ inches more of depth)..still waiting for them to grow out & resurface.
..always something more to do !!:spin:

IMG_2588.jpg

IMG_2574.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
looks good kathy , get a uv for the algae. I have clear water all year and when I shut it off i get green water. people think they dont work but I believe in it. catch some of those black koi's for me. I will show some pics later this week of my pond. I am loving this hobby then reef tanks this time of the year.

georgelc86

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
WOW...Its like out of an issue of Better Homes and Garden. When you got rid of the pool what method did you use. Sell it, scrap metal yard. I have a pool I am tearing down but am not sure how to dump it. Wanna find a way to recycle it if possible.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Thanks Jarrett..as soon as I can see them I'll grab a few for you..lol I do have a UV light out there, but it's connected to the 2nd filter that I have yet to hook back up. Getting to it :)

Warren..at the time it was fun..today I'd paid someone else to do the digging!!
George - the wall was rolled up and put out at the curb but I recall someone swiped it before it was officially picked up, so I imagine it was recycled by someone else :)

I'll post some new pics when the water is clear again.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
George..all of the pool parts except for the liner (and the ladder & filter that I gave away) went into the garbage. Curious why you're so focused on what I threw out 5 years ago?? lol

Crox..let's get that baby girl of yours born first..then onto the house & pond :) ..but I will be there for ya when you're ready!!:flower:

..got the UV hooked back up this morning...now off to the boat & a party ! :)

georgelc86

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Well because like I said I have a pool I am tearing down and it was just coincidence that I found your thread during the same week I was preparing to torn mine down. I dont know anyone that has torn down a pool before. I am just going to call 311 because our regulations for garbage removal are different than LI. Just getting some info that's all. I am weird I know.

rstimeout

Rating - 98.8%
79   1   0
KATHY very nice i just finished my pond 18ft long by 8 ft wide 4 1/2 deepest to 2ft i will post pics soon still have to landscape it and i put in 10 kio butterflys and some other names i cant spell lolololol if you need any kio i have a great guy up here for them i will post pics soon thanks for sharing

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
KATHY very nice i just finished my pond 18ft long by 8 ft wide 4 1/2 deepest to 2ft i will post pics soon still have to landscape it and i put in 10 kio butterflys and some other names i cant spell lolololol if you need any kio i have a great guy up here for them i will post pics soon thanks for sharing

Sounds great Rich :) Definitely looking forward to the pics!
What kind of filtration did you put in?
The butterflys are so pretty!...Shebunkin too maybe? ..I had to look up the spelling too ..lol Might be swinging through your area soon, hopefully I can catch up with then..it's been too long since I visited:(

rstimeout

Rating - 98.8%
79   1   0
KATHY any time you are up please fell free to stop by
filters i did a skimmer box and a waterfall filters extra large ones to hold the valume of water i will take pics tonight and try to post them thanks again

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Thanks guys :)

I hadn't realized that I last posted on this LAST summer. It pretty much looked exactly the same this summer, except for the addition of a UV.

Knock wood - all was fine until the day before Christmas...the 2nd time I had a Christmas crisis with this pond. (that story another time). Admittedly I don't check the pond daily during the winter, and usually someone else here will notice something is amiss. On the 24th I found there was only about 6" of water in the pond and a bunch of ice burgs. The fish were just swimming around. Argh.

I had a plant 'wicking' water away from the waterfall, corrected that and refilled the pond (ok, after I ran out to get a bunch of Stresscoat, had to find a hose that wasn't frozen... and not happy that the temp of the water I had to refill with (about 1400g..) was 60 degrees and the pond was about 45...). Next morning, all good. Christmas night, came home to find my Christmas lights (and inflatables) weren't on. Uh-oh, same circuit as the pond pump.
The lawn was a mine field of all the tie-downs for the inflatables, but I made it to the yard and reset the circuit. All has been well since then...as I said ..knock wood..

Will have to find some pics from this past summer and post them :)
...mmmm...warm air....ahhhh

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: