MR TANK DONATION FOR SCHOOL:the build - Reefs.com

Home  / Forums  / Global Forums  / Freshwater  /  MR TANK DONATION FOR SCHOOL:the build
Manhattan Reefs MR TANK DONATION FOR SCHOOL:the build
05-16-2011, 01:56 PM
hey! Previously i came to the MR community for a donation of a tank and any supplies for an opportunity to create an aquatic habitat for the students(and teachers it seems).i wasn't exactly sure what the approach should be but i decided africans and just work with what supplies i got. well,MR CAME THROUGH! i did invest some of my own funds but largely just about all i got was donations. the offering of advice and parts was more evidence of how awesome this site is. my of the teachers found it hard to believe a community of fishkeepers would go through so much trouble and be willing to part with expensive equipment-but that's exactly what happened.
i took pictures with may camera but i seem to have misplaced the battery charger it's not as amazing or extensive a build as i've seen on here but i went with what i could.
i will post pictures from my phone,it has a pretty decent cam,so you guys know where everything went.I appreciate everyone and if there is anymore tips,suggestions, advice,equpiment additions please feel free as it is a work in progress. thank you. Yahya aka yah

05-16-2011, 02:46 PM
First acknowledgments: {Manhattan Reefs} this would have been impossible without you guys!
My wife for patience, support and inspiration n the build and my 6 month old son for his patience and continued interest as the build went on-definitely a next gen MR reefer.
Rodney from Total aquariums- contacted me and put me in contact with a great and generous gentleman(i will edit in his info when i get the ok) who donated a 90gal,stand,LOTS of saltwater, previously LR(now freshwater/brackish LR). great guy,great family.
andrew aka 45acp- donated a rena xp3(which runs like a dream.first one i've ever used-i'm a believer) with media and tubing.48 fl light fixture.and a bunch of great plastic plants.cool guy,cooler car.
steve spacernyc, S1024L and AR0026: for pending pick ups, constant contact and patience.
honorable mentions: stbarnabas, jerl77, 4fish-skene, camanuch, aqua pro builder and cryptics.
all for offering when they in no way had to.

Last edited by yah-the submariner; 05-17-2011 at 12:33 AM.

05-17-2011, 12:28 AM
this is what come of washing and curing the LR for several weeks. This is why i has taken so long to start the build.after placing in the tank there was still a little die off so i set the rock work and and let the tank run for another week or so. here are some images from my camera phone. still looking for the battery so i can take the images off of my digital camera.
Attached Thumbnails

05-17-2011, 10:54 PM
http://youtu.be/6qA97zDDgQc

Last edited by yah-the submariner; 05-18-2011 at 10:04 AM.

Re-reefer
05-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Very nice. Africans can be very territorial/aggressive so you may do well to research the types of rock you can use and then try to go and find some (like in a park) so as to create more "territories".

05-18-2011, 10:23 AM
Hey man I wish I could help more but I don't know didaly squat about Africans. Lol.

05-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbris1 View Post
Very nice. Africans can be very territorial/aggressive so you may do well to research the types of rock you can use and then try to go and find some (like in a park) so as to create more "territories".
+1

Not they can be, they will be. More rocks are needed.

Maybe some rocks like these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvGEYHUmmyU

05-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Bris i absolutely agree. i am working on collecting more rock work. i've already added a few more plan on muuch more eventually. thanks for the input. always looking for ways to improve

Psycho-ologist
05-18-2011, 11:27 AM
Use "Texas holey rock" - will help buffer the aquarium water, looks nice and will provide numerous hidey holes and territories.

05-18-2011, 11:33 AM
LOL,Camanuch it's cool. Biazarro,i know. i have a mixed cichlid tank at home(not africans) so i know about the need for rock work. i like that tanks rock work. i've been looking at A LOT of different rock work.so i plan to add a lot more