MR TANK DONATION FOR SCHOOL:the build - Page 2 - Reefs.com

Home  / Forums  / Global Forums  / Freshwater  /  MR TANK DONATION FOR SCHOOL:the build
05-18-2011, 11:34 AM
cowfish you're right. you read my mind,i just looked at some in a lfs and plan on picking up a few. Always on a budget though,lol

05-18-2011, 01:16 PM
upgrades
Attached Thumbnails

05-18-2011, 01:29 PM
new editions: red claw crabs-3,Malawi-9,algae eaters-2, also some green quartz rock for color. hoping to add honey or lava rock! THE KIDS LOOOVE THESE GUYS!! BUILD CONTINUES,THEY GIVE MANY THANKS TO MR!!

05-18-2011, 01:41 PM
upgrades
Attached Thumbnails

05-18-2011, 01:44 PM
africans..
Attached Thumbnails

Re-reefer
05-18-2011, 03:06 PM
What would be a great project would be to get the kids together and go rock hunting, pick up some shale also. Then get together and build a rock wall background for the tank.

Search for "DIY Rock Wall" it can be done on a tight budget.

some ideas:

05-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Loving those rock walls

https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/...ly-set-up.html

05-18-2011, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbris1 View Post
What would be a great project would be to get the kids together and go rock hunting, pick up some shale also. Then get together and build a rock wall background for the tank.

Search for "DIY Rock Wall" it can be done on a tight budget.

some ideas:

Yup,that definitely looks awesome and worth looking into!!

05-18-2011, 05:49 PM
ok already you have a BIG problem M. Auratus..the yellow ones w/ the black stripes. They will get big, UGLY and extremely mean. By the selection of fish I see it looks like you probably got them at a petland discounts or chain store they are the cheapest and most common. The orange ones (Red Zebra) are not too aggressive and the purple ones (Kenyi) if you have too many males they will change color and turn into males which are yellowish pink and will get ugly also. Try to keep more females than males of any type of fish. Plus they will breed and you will likely have some survivors and interesting mixes. I would get those Auratus out. Bring them back to the store maybe trade for something else if possible or store credit for filter materials/food etc. Also I would not buy fish from chain stores they usually do no acclimate their fish and they get ich CONSTANTLY. I once bought some africans from a petland discounts and the ich wiped out my whole tank. I lost a good thousand dollars or so worth of fish Including a 8" Royal pleco which goes for $150+ itself. Some great species to look into are the rarer more expensive ones they are definitely worth the money for their personality and individuality. Calvus,Aulonocra (Peacocks), any Tropheus, Julichromis, Neolamprologus Brichardi, Duboisi. Those are your best bets to have a gorgeous tank w/ fish that are not super aggressive and stay pretty small. You can google those names and see what type of fish I am talking about and if you need help finding them I can check w/ a few places I know and pick them up for you. In all my years of cichlid keeping these are my favorites. I have some pics of my cichlid setups in my album if you want to see. Lava rock is what you want for your setup. That is what buffers your PH.

05-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Triggerman thanks for the info. yes the first few i got were from petland,but i wised up and have been hand selecting fish from lfs. new world ect. but Africans are not my specialty so i would not attempt to act like i have it all covered.working it out,man. working it out.i've been studying up constantly,i'm going to look into those guys and try to add them to the tank. thank you for caring enough to give me a heads up.