MR TANK DONATION FOR SCHOOL:the build - Page 3 - Reefs.com

Home  / Forums  / Global Forums  / Freshwater  /  MR TANK DONATION FOR SCHOOL:the build
Re-reefer
05-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Yah, if you get a chance stop by Manhattan Aquariums (vendor here) they have a very large & nice cichlid tank and you can get some ideas there, too.

05-19-2011, 12:19 PM
ok,i'll stop by there today

reefmaniac
05-19-2011, 12:25 PM
Hey if you are ever around Staten Island or NJ, I have a nice sized box of plants, rocks and a nice piece of driftwood you could have. There is some slate in there as well to make some nice flat shelves.

05-19-2011, 12:49 PM
Reef,i'd be happy to have them.

05-20-2011, 12:09 AM
hey Bris, I went down to manhttan aquariums and realized i know the place. i used to go by but stopped because i was into freshwater and they tend to not have much in the way nor much interest in that particular area. the first two guys as i figured told me they didn't know much and don't sell africans but one of the gentlemen went the extra mile to get a guy from downstairs to help me. uphill from here. he anwered my ques and searched the store and basement until we found guys small enough for my tank.he texted his (boss?) to give me a deal and told me about tankmates ect. he did most of the work long before he knew i would buy.just to educate me. i like that.knowing i was on a budget he looked out and i bought two fish and a few supplies. will definitely recommend and visit again.

05-20-2011, 05:42 AM
yah I pm'd reef I'm going to SI today I'll grab that stuff for you and you can pick it up from me in Queens and save yourself the extra toll and mileage.

What new fish did you get? Where's the pics mannnn! LOL I used to take pics in the bag because its the easiest way..they don't have anywhere to swim out of the shot lol

Re-reefer
05-20-2011, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yah-the submariner View Post
hey Bris, I went down to manhttan aquariums and realized i know the place. i used to go by but stopped because i was into freshwater and they tend to not have much in the way nor much interest in that particular area. the first two guys as i figured told me they didn't know much and don't sell africans but one of the gentlemen went the extra mile to get a guy from downstairs to help me. uphill from here. he anwered my ques and searched the store and basement until we found guys small enough for my tank.he texted his (boss?) to give me a deal and told me about tankmates ect. he did most of the work long before he knew i would buy.just to educate me. i like that.knowing i was on a budget he looked out and i bought two fish and a few supplies. will definitely recommend and visit again.
Glad it worked out for ya.

05-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Trigger thanks!! i completely appreciate that! As for the fish i studied the list you gave me extensively!i found a site cichlid forum.com and they have a brief african genus gallery which helped me identify by site the guys you recommended. you picked some winners AND you was right about the bad boy of the bunch. manhattan aquariums didn't have any of them for sale but all of the ones you mentioned in display(and thanks to you i was able to identify most of them or their behavior,the guy though i was a pro-which we know isn't close to true)
that being the case i went off list and got two juvie frontosas. i have been in love with them forever. i may have a male and female and i know they get big,but i have to have them. and they were rated as mildly aggressive.they were with the other guys with no problem and as i will not be going over 20 fish there will be room in the tank.
i will get some pics of them today and plan on getting the other guys you mentioned. the Calvus grows slow but i looove how they look.i need some other stores to look into,so if you have any suggestions let me know. i need little guys except for the calvus as they take an eternity to grow,lol

Re-reefer
05-21-2011, 06:45 AM
Frontosas are nice. There was a guy out in BKLN that had some tanks in the basement of a pizza shop or something that was breeding them years ago. Slowly the people I've met and tanks I've seen over the years is coming back

05-22-2011, 11:21 PM
I love those guys,i will put up pics very soon