Experienced Reefer
Rating - 66.7%
6   3   0
Fathom thanks for the pm
we will set up a appointment an compare your lamps to the pacific sun
we can go from there thank you for you time and advice
anything to improve my system and life support of anemones
no one else knows about anemones and lighting or willing to try

Not a problem Greg. Should be interesting to see effects and what's actually happening. See you soon.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi I know we're late to this thread but we've gotten a few emails about it so we just wanted to throw in our two cents:

1) Lighting is very much a personal choice, and there's really no right or wrong answer. The right light depends on what YOU are looking for and it's important to understand the advantages/disadvantages of the main lighting types (MH, LED, T5) to make your decision. Once you do that you can go a step further into the strengths/weaknesses of specific brands within that technology (ie. Rapid LED, AI, Ecotech, Fathom, etc).

2) Specifically for LEDs, the differences between most of the name brand (ie. not Chinese/generic LEDs) fixtures are becoming fairly subtle, so understand what you're paying more/less for. Do you want certain colors (ie. UV, red, green, cyan, etc) included in your light? Do you want the ability to dim all/some of the colors? Do you want wireless control? Do you want a full fixture or a DIY project? If you answer a few of those basic questions it'll help the decision making process a good amount because for every 20 people that say a certain light has been fantastic for them I'm sure you'll find another 20 that will say another light from another manufacturer is better which can be pretty confusing without actually seeing the light in person.

3) There's certainly nothing wrong with mixing lighting types. If you love the color of T5's but want shimmer go ahead and add a strip or two of LEDs to get that shimmer. If you love the growth from MH's but don't want to use as much electricity supplement it with a few T5's or LEDs. Again, there's really no wrong answer. Everyone has different priorities and resources (time, $$, etc) so everyone's lighting should be different.

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Not going with LEDs is like playing an Atari when the the Xbox360 is out. IMO new technology=Better everything! I never heard of company's spending millions on R&D to make a worse product. So yeah full spec LEDs all the way !

Nottick

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Meh yes and no. I'm sure there are tons of company's that dump money into R&D which then fails horribly.

It's a preference honestly. I think almost all products today will grow coral but who's to say.

Do what looks best to you.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: