tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
:sigh:
i am loving my t5's right now. I've tried all lighting systems, and t5s were my last effort, and it seems that for my tastes, the last choice was my best choice.

i am running the t5 6x54w ATI Sunpower, but not the dimmable model.

I guess it is comparable to LEDs that have multiple colors in them- not just blue and white.

I have a purple and blue looking going on right now. I really like it. It's like....17k with purple tinge.

The bulbs on my schedule will last me about a year if not more. And are about $20 to replace per year.

I would have needed 2 LED units for my 4' tank. That would have run me over $800 at the cheapest but popular (good ratings) LED unit plus some to customize color and lenses.

I bought my t5 straight from reef geek at a nice low price deal and it would take me over 5 years to catch up to the cost of LEDs compared to the purchase of the t5 system and bulbs each year.

Also, I have the apex jr so using 2 light channels (the ati fixture has 2 bulbs on one then 4 bulbs on the other) i can program blues in the dusk/dawn and have the brighter whites/colors come on midday. Other features like storms, etc i really do not care about.
But if you went with the dimmable T5 unit, you could still get something like that i guess.

:)

Of course, the t5s will need to be unmounted at least 1 x per year if not more to cycle bulbs, and for routine cleaning of the fans and the acrylic shield. But, that would take 10 min if that and the fixture is wicked light.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
A single Atlantik could handle a 75 easily but you'd have to turn it down. If you know you want to upgrade in the future the Atlantik could also go on anything up to a 150 XH by itself. Anything 6' would need 2 units unless it's a deep dimension tank.

ChrisB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
:sigh:
i am loving my t5's right now. I've tried all lighting systems, and t5s were my last effort, and it seems that for my tastes, the last choice was my best choice.

i am running the t5 6x54w ATI Sunpower, but not the dimmable model.

I guess it is comparable to LEDs that have multiple colors in them- not just blue and white.

I have a purple and blue looking going on right now. I really like it. It's like....17k with purple tinge.

The bulbs on my schedule will last me about a year if not more. And are about $20 to replace per year.

I would have needed 2 LED units for my 4' tank. That would have run me over $800 at the cheapest but popular (good ratings) LED unit plus some to customize color and lenses.

I bought my t5 straight from reef geek at a nice low price deal and it would take me over 5 years to catch up to the cost of LEDs compared to the purchase of the t5 system and bulbs each year.

Also, I have the apex jr so using 2 light channels (the ati fixture has 2 bulbs on one then 4 bulbs on the other) i can program blues in the dusk/dawn and have the brighter whites/colors come on midday. Other features like storms, etc i really do not care about.
But if you went with the dimmable T5 unit, you could still get something like that i guess.

Of course, the t5s will need to be unmounted at least 1 x per year if not more to cycle bulbs, and for routine cleaning of the fans and the acrylic shield. But, that would take 10 min if that and the fixture is wicked light.

Cool thanks for the input , What config of bulbs do you have? I have ai sol blues now and I am not to happy with them. these are the led make up of the Orphek Atlantik .
28 ? 17,500K white
10 ? 12,000K white
24 ? 460nm blue
8 ? 450 nm blue
4 ? Orphek special High range red click here for Spectrum Graph
4 ? High range 380-430nm UV
It seems that The Leds are starting to up the spectrum. this is what one of the Orphek guys sent me.
Chris,

Thanks for contacting us.

The Atlantik and all of our models use proprietary LEDs that we have developed based upon our work and knowledge of the marine industry. The LEDs are a specific blend of spectrums that give corals exactly what they need while eliminating what they don?t

For example?..

Most of the companies out in the hobby use a lower temperature white LED that is between 6000k and 10000k, you will occasionally find a 12000k one but it?s rare. The whites in channel 2 are a 17500k LED. This is a much bluer LED that gives corals what they need. The mix of Blue, UV and red along with the high temperature whites provides the correct spectrums. Check out the spectrographs on the Atlantik page for specific fixture information regarding what the actual unit does versus the other companies who repost the spectrograph from the LED manufacturer. We spend money and research on testing and development versus ordering a bunch of loose LEDs from one company or another. This is in part why we do not share any info about our sources?.it gives us a competitive edge. J

We do however share info about the drivers and other components in our systems if you would like. The drivers are all meanwell and this has given us rock solid reliability and consistent power to the LEDs.

As for Radion and AI? There really is no comparison. The Atlantik fixture is more than twice the coverage and power that any of their models offer and this makes the pricing much better in favor of Orphek.

LOL I wish I can buy both :dead1:

Last edited:

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
I first had it as:
blue +
aquablue
aquatinic white (purple)
aquablue
actinic
blue+

it will be:
blue+
coral plus
purple fiji
coral plus
blue
blue

If I could afford the newest ATI T5 LED combo I would get that if only because with LEDs you can get over 20k blue. I would only have that setting one my tank say...1hrs a day so I can see what colors it brings out, but find that at a point the blue is just too much and the amount of the coral body that actually fluoresces vs the rest of the tnk looks ...well, ugly to me.

Reefcowboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Have tried LEDs in past, corals did ok, but did not get same growth and color(not even close) to t5s. I tried top led brands with tips from many store owners and even emailed back and forth manufacturers for the right height for good par. Even though the LEDs give a nice blue, crisp white look, T5 s are still in my opinion the way to go if you want a bullet proof system that will result in corals doing well.
I'm upgrading to a bigger tank, and will get the ati unit you are thinking of as well.

ChrisB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Ok cool that was good for me. It sound interesting as hell tho I never knew that I'm going to do some more research on that. The whole white blue ratio
AI support told me for my Sol blue to keep them all the same ex:W40% B40% RB40% of course ramp up and down for sunrise and set. It looks like I might go with the T5s its just the proof is there and The Orphek Atlantik looks great sounds great .I was looking for some proof and this where I got the Orphek idea from this guys tank .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKCLuIYBx30
Please watch this and let me know if the corals look good for leds? As I did fish only my first reef is 1 year old , all I have had was Ai sol blues on it and I rarely see other reefers tanks so I have nothing to gage it against. He is using an older model orphek
I watch this and wonder what the hell is the cost of running a tank like this. .

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
LEDs are great especially for large tanks.. But they are better in color as far as I've seen against t5.. I have two 40 g t5 tanks, but my 7 ft tank is run by LEDs.. LEDs will achieve it soon enough.. If I had to compare color Saying t5s are a 10... LEDs would be an 8... I have aqua illuminations I couldn't be happier.. I hated mh.. I had it for 9 months... My LEDs wash out some corals but most look amazing!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: