• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
As we all know, there have been issues with IceCap's new Vortech poweheads. I've been waiting patiently (as i'm sure have many others) for the kinks to be worked out before jumping in.

Would you think the time has come to safely buy a Vortech (with the battery back-up)? or are there still some issues and it would be better to hold off a little longer?

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
I have a gen2 and I think it's great. I have had no problems with it and it is silent. IMO and based on my limited experience with these, they're safe to buy now.

I'm also going to see if I can turn my $30 deposit on a nano-stream into $30 down on the battery backup. I'm very happy with my gen2 Vortech.

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
the gen2 is the latest model, correct?

at least i can know that their customer service will back up their products if more issues still arise.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
I've read nothing but stellar customer service from Eco-Systems and Icecap during the entire rollout of the Vortech. Every issue encountered seems to have been addressed and handled appropriately and to the satisfaction of the consumer.

It seems Gen2 is a vast improvement to Gen1 and like you said Albert, at least you know they'll stand by their product to make it right for you.

Does anyone know how to discern the product variation between G2 and G1? Is it noted on the packaging (probably not)?

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a G2 also.

R

inkblue

Rice Planter
Rating - 98.6%
145   2   0
i aLready toLd mY stoRy, doNt wanna dRag it out, but in shORt i got a braNd new vortech from iCeCap foR my (2 vorteChs laTer and aBout 3 montHs) trouBles and yeSterdAy, founD it stoppEd :mad: ...so needLess to say aM not tHeir biGGEst fan.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Fritz, where are you pre-order with on the nano stream? I may want to buy that delivery position from you.

The generation 2 does look more reliable and I have not heard of problems with them yet. Personally, I would wait until the controller is out and get the entire package. I can buy cheap quality standard power heads (Tunze 6080) if I don't want to control them.

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Fritz, where are you pre-order with on the nano stream? I may want to buy that delivery position from you.

The generation 2 does look more reliable and I have not heard of problems with them yet. Personally, I would wait until the controller is out and get the entire package. I can buy cheap quality standard power heads (Tunze 6080) if I don't want to control them.
i'm sure the controller can be added on once it comes out.
I dont want to put another HUGE Tunze in my tank, they are so ugly.

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
The vortech is comparable to a Tunze 6000 or 6100 in that they are controllable without a controller. I'm not going to buy a controller for my vortech I don't think it's necessary. In fact it's quite different from a Tunze. For example I had a conversation with Randy about this yesterday. If you point two Tunzes at each other on opposite sides of the tank, where that flow meets is violent. (or at least turbulant) However if you point two vortechs at each other, or one center glass, where they meet is calm. The flow from a vortech is soft and wide so when it runs into itself, if strong enough will create many small votrexes (no pun intended) but if the flow is weak it will just stop.

A vortech works best (IME) near the surface. For example on low and at surface it blows everything around in my tank. At center glass on the side, set to full on high there is not much movement 2.5 feet away. The water rushing out runs into water on its way back and it just stops. Now if I put the vortech near the surface and set it to full on high I knock rocks over.

(OFF topic but semi related: http://www.instructables.com/id/EIS1UZ8TGXEPZY2LNM/

Yes Cali I'm on the pre-order list. You can buy me out if you'd like or hit me off with some choice frags, either way.

Last edited:

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
i'm sure the controller can be added on once it comes out.
I dont want to put another HUGE Tunze in my tank, they are so ugly.

I am sure the controller will work with the current version, but "when" and "how much" is the questions I have. Lots of people waited a long time for a Seio controller:(. The Tunze controller alternate the flow speed and timing, it also is capable of shutting\slowing down flow at night. I believe the only Vortec's speed is adjustable without a controller, that basically is to tune the pump to the size of the tank it is used on.

The split power head configuration will not work for everyone, especially for those that don't like things hanging off the sides of their tank. I rather have the whole thing in the tank versus half of it inside and half of it outside, you also can't angle the outlet like a Tunze on a mounting system.

The flow is softer on these because it uses a bigger diameter prop and slower speed to move the water, that might be a good thing if you have a shorter distance to cover, it may not for a longer tank.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
i aLready toLd mY stoRy, doNt wanna dRag it out, but in shORt i got a braNd new vortech from iCeCap foR my (2 vorteChs laTer and aBout 3 montHs) trouBles and yeSterdAy, founD it stoppEd :mad: ...so needLess to say aM not tHeir biGGEst fan.

Don, sorry to hear your woes. Have Eco-Tech or Icecap stopped helping you with customer service? Are they still attempting to rectify the problem?

My comments were geared more towards the satisfaction of customer service as opposed to the product itself. As for the product, it seems it is much more reliable in G2 than G1. Dave and Don are slowly becoming the oddity as compared to the norm in G1.

swimmer

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
I have a gen2 and I think it's great. I have had no problems with it and it is silent. IMO and based on my limited experience with these, they're safe to buy now.

I'm also going to see if I can turn my $30 deposit on a nano-stream into $30 down on the battery backup. I'm very happy with my gen2 Vortech.
how much are the battery backup

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0

can you please take a pic of the pump on your tank so i can see something. close enough to see the whole pump

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: