• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I recently start to add cyclopeeze to my fish diet. The fish love it and thus I added a little more food along with the cyclopeeze. After, 2 weeks, the nitrate went from 0 to, almost off the chart, now 70!

Do you find your nitrate go up after feeding cyclopeeze?

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
After, 2 weeks, the nitrate went from 0 to, almost off the chart, now 70!

In 2 weeks? :confused: What test kit are you using? Why are you blaming the Cyclop-eeze, when you state you added more food to the Cyclop-eeze? What food was that? If it's frozen, did you rinse it before feeding? What skimmer are you using? :scratch:

13402_rgb.jpg

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
I feed way more cyclopeeze then I should (I sometimes have orange skimmate) and I've got zero nitrates. I don't think they alone would cause that. I keep sand in my display so I know not all the cyclopeeze is making it into my skimmer.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
don't blame the cyclopeeze, unless you fed an entire brick the No3 would not jump that high.

like Mike said, I bet something is dead in the tank, check under the rocks for the body. :(

ReeferGoneMad

I Smoke Live Rocks
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
rocks, powerheads, algaes check everywhere. my main ingredient i feed is cyclopeeze heck sometimes i get lazy and just feed them only. and i have a heavy mix of corals. my nitrates so far since my cycle have been undetectable.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Nothing big died unless you count bacteria which I cannot see. Even the snail population seems quite the same. Opps, one firefish died but he jumped out of my tank so the nitrate won't be due to that. The skimmer skimmed a little more than before except for last two days (it almost overflow my cup with wet skimmate)that prompted me to test the water.

The fish load actually get lighter because I traded out my beloved 6" Powder Blue to my much smaller foxface(supposingly in Jhale's tank some day). The foxface eats a lot more macro algae all other tangs in the tank combined.

The water flow drops quickly due to whatever's clogging the tubes, pumps... after I added cyclopeeze to the diet, or once again may be just I added too much food.

The problem would most likely be overfeeding or the clown is moving the sand too much-she makes 2 pot holes the size of her size(3.5-4 inches) everyday. Finally, could it be too many shrimps laying eggs and trapped at the filter socks and attract even more dirt-they are completely soiled?

As for the brand of the skimmer, MOIDOL, can you help? It's the tank at the door on 18th Avenue.

The test kit is Aquarium Pharmaceuticals.

Last night, I did a 7% water change, clean all pipes, pumps and filter socks, water flow back to normal. Re-test the water the same kit, color is between 10-20 while testing it with another kit, same brand, 0-5. Time to dump the kits. It must have a shelf life issue. Got to find my other salifert to compare.

To explain why I suspect cyclopeeze at one time is that the bloody looking slimmy liquid make me feel that it will feed micro organism and thus attract large amount of the dirt to be deposited onto the sand bed and the tubes, and filter socks. After I change the habit of feeding, including both more regular frozen food and cyclopeeze, I noticed a lot more detrius on the rocks and the corals.

Last edited:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
oohh my head...

wingo,

don't use cheap test kits

don't pour in the "bloody looking slimmy liquid" from the cyclopeeze.

do blow your rocks off to remove the detritous.

how large is the foxface? I'm trying not to place any large fish in my tank now to keep the No3 down.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
oohh my head...

wingo,

don't use cheap test kits

don't pour in the "bloody looking slimmy liquid" from the cyclopeeze.

do blow your rocks off to remove the detritous.

how large is the foxface? I'm trying not to place any large fish in my tank now to keep the No3 down.

Now that it's in that tank, she will be too happy there that she won't want to leave. HAHA. It's ~2 inch tall and 4" long. Oh, I think she was born in Italy because she eats the sphagetti aglae all day long none stop.

Well those kits come from whoever, I brought the entire setup from when they go out of hobby-they are freebies. No wonder my mom used to say "there's no free lunch." I did buy my own salifert but too absent minded to remember where I mislay it.:shhh:

ReeferGoneMad

I Smoke Live Rocks
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
oye vey:splitspin. filter socks dirty. slimy stuff. detrious. sounds like u have many nitrate magnets. i have used cyclopeeze and only cyclopeeze. u know that bs marine snow stuff well guess wat i make my own with cyclopeeze. never had a jump in nitrates like that. i always say u are ur tanks best filter(ie. vision, ur arm, ur fish net). looks like instead of blowing stuff around u should net it out and clean the filter socks. ur clown shouldnt be a problem matter fact it tossing the sand around gives ur corals a nice mix of bacteria to snack on. unless ur clown was displacing every square foot of ur sand bed then id say thats the problem. but i think in ur last post u just found it.

techreef

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe your cyclopeeze is bad? when i melt a piece of cyclopeeze from my frozen bar of the stuff, the RODI water stays clean, just filled with the little red dots of whatever cyclopeeze is made up of. there's no orange or yellow colored water, and nothing is remotely slimy.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: