• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/16655-my-new-finnex-30-glass-cube.ht

Hey David, I see your buying my tank. make sure you buy the one with the built in refugium. if your keeping softies the regular lights are fine, but if i were you i would not make the same mistake i made. Go for the HQI lighting setup, its worth the extra money. youll wind up upgrading if you go with the regular lights anyway. youll ned an extra power head insinde the tank and if i were you i would not buy the stand that you can buy with it. Heres my link, it will give you more than enough info. BTW, I repalced the lights with 2 Hamilton 250watt 14K lights. Everything in there is popping and healthy now.
heres the link dave.

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
Hey David, I see your buying my tank. make sure you buy the one with the built in refugium. if your keeping softies the regular lights are fine, but if i were you i would not make the same mistake i made. Go for the HQI lighting setup, its worth the extra money. youll wind up upgrading if you go with the regular lights anyway. youll ned an extra power head insinde the tank and if i were you i would not buy the stand that you can buy with it. Heres my link, it will give you more than enough info. BTW, I repalced the lights with 2 Hamilton 250watt 14K lights. Everything in there is popping and healthy now.
heres the link dave.
so much for the link.....lol

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Last edited:

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
thanks coby. yes the reason i didn't see the link was because i'm used to the blue link. as for the lights... i don't really think i would need more then the 150 for my application. you no there's no right way to light up a tank. everyone has different opinions and they do what works for them. as for your application i'm sure your tank must look awesome...but theres a cupple reason why that wont work for me. 1 is the tank is only 17" high so i don't think i would need the penetration on the 250 bulb. 2- the 150 is a DE Bulb which is comparable to the 250 SE bulb. 3- having 2x250 on a 24" tank may cause you to have some heat issues which i really don't want to expierance, really wouldn't like to have to buy a ice probe or chiller for a tank i will have at the office. last but no least is $$$$ issues, if your tank is at home it's going to cost you more to run the two light's instead of one. Coby, try and see how much of the light is being dispersed into the room instead of the tank. I'm assuming since the rule of thumb is 1 MH per 2', maybe alot of light might be going into the room instead, even if you have them close together unless you lower them alot to not give them enough room to spread there beam which can also bring you some heat issues. and be careful with how low you hang them because the tank is only 17" high and if too low you may have some bleaching issues with the corals (sps), that's the reason i had to sell my pendent. it was just to close to the tank. anyway, i hope it works for you though. I'm just trying to be helpful and if there's anything i could do to help just let me know..
Dave< dont get the HQI $200 lights! I didnt realize it was only 150 watts! Get the cheaper one and get a seperate light system for the top of it. I dont think 150 watts will do the trick. Sell the ones that ome with it and invest in something good. youll thank me later. Im running 500 wats of MH on mine

Mabe this is easier to click

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/16655-my-new-finnex-30-glass-cube.html

Last edited:

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
There is no top to this tank I want you to know. there is two peices of glass and the middle is left open and the glass did not fit properly over the top. kept falling in. since I leave the top completely open, there is never a heat issue on the tank. My lights are 12in. off the water and as you know the pendants have the bulbs sitting vertical, not horizontal which doesnt gice you the spread of light you would need. I would still suggest to go with the cheaper lighting the tank comes with and then sell it, then go out and but the fixture you really would like for this tank. The fixtures they come with dont do justice for the tank. If your going with softies I wouldnt worry so much, but im sure your going sps on this as well.

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
that's very true. how about the 150hqi, do you think it still won't be enough.
There is no top to this tank I want you to know. there is two peices of glass and the middle is left open and the glass did not fit properly over the top. kept falling in. since I leave the top completely open, there is never a heat issue on the tank. My lights are 12in. off the water and as you know the pendants have the bulbs sitting vertical, not horizontal which doesnt gice you the spread of light you would need. I would still suggest to go with the cheaper lighting the tank comes with and then sell it, then go out and but the fixture you really would like for this tank. The fixtures they come with dont do justice for the tank. If your going with softies I wouldnt worry so much, but im sure your going sps on this as well.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
in my humble opinion, I dont think the 1MH will cover the tank. the pc"s will make it look like it does but your sides wont get the mh coverage. Trust me, get the cheaper fixture with it, then sell it for at least $100.
buy the fixture you really want on that will cover the enire tank. Most of the fixtures for this tank run in the $600 range. Thats why I went with 2 hamilton 250's, its a cheaper way to go and im happy with my choice. you know I have one of your hamiltons on this which im selling on here so I can buy a new one. Hey, wanna buy yours back, lol...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: