• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I have some chips in the front of my tank now :( . does anyone if they can be fixed, and someone who could do it?

_JHL0336.JPG

_JHL0332.JPG

_JHL0333.JPG

_JHL0334.JPG

_JHL0335.JPG

Salesbig

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Hmm.. maybe the same way you repair a car windshield?
They have the thing the gets injected into the glass and it prevents further breaking..
YOu can get it at any automotive shop

Worth a shot
One more .. only if its external... im sure you know that

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
i forgot to mention they are on the outside.

it happened today due to a fire in my building,
the firemen dinged the tank with some equipment
when they were checking my apt.

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Damn that sucks J. Luckily he didn't blow the thing out. They sure carry some heavy equipment. I think you got lucky. But even if you fix it, it might look very distracting. How big are they? I have a very small one that i noticed the other day myself. For now it's no biggie.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
they are small, from five feet away they look like baby snails.
up close they look bad though, and I'm guessing they decrease the
resale value of the tank by quite a bit.

as for the neighbor he started the fire in his bathroom by lighting a hookah and leaving it unattended. why the hookah was in the bathroom he did not say. regaurdless an ember lit the TP on fire which lit the bathmat on fire which caused a ton of smoke and made me call the FD.
the neighbor was passed out on the couch and did not know his own bathroom was on fire. given these facts he's going to pay for the repairs.
I really hate to think what would have happened if i was not here :mad:

grisha

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Jon, i feel you man i had a firemen breaking in in to the apt week ago while i was at work. aftermath is - traumatized cat, metal door destroyed, furniture thrown around, wall and window broken.
howda hell they dang your tank man?

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I was not there when they went in, but they were all carrying big metal tools and wearing a ton of crap. so I guess one just walked by the tank and hit it with something they were carrying.

come to think of it this is the same thing that happened to my 55 and the reason I upgraded to the 120. the 55 got a small crack though, this does not look dangerous, just annoying.

moral of the story, do not let fully laden firemen near your tank, unless the building or tank is on fire.

drunktank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
john , no i did not call the city.

i still believe it's the neighbors fault. the firemen were just doing thier job.

Your neighbors obviously at fault, but how well or easy is it going to be to get the money? Although the FD was doing their job, they should excersize some causion when entering someones home. Esp if the fire was already under control.

But in the long run. Whoever you can sack to get the money to fix ur tank- mite be a good idea to at lease inquire about the cities rules etc.

just my opinion to know all ur options :hug:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I agree John, I told my neighbor about it already in front of other residents in the building, he did not have much to say other than okay.

I'm not sure when the firemen entered the apt, I left the door open. It could have been before they found the source of the smoke.

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
they should excersize some causion when entering someones home.

I have to disagree here. The guy was probably looking around to make sure everything was ok. The last thing on his mind is worrying about scratching a fish tank. To us is a big deal, but to them it's life or death. Just be thankful it didn't get smashed, and make that SOB pay for a new one. If not, make sure he passes out again on the couch, outside, or anywhere where it's convenient.

drunktank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have to disagree here. The guy was probably looking around to make sure everything was ok. The last thing on his mind is worrying about scratching a fish tank. To us is a big deal, but to them it's life or death. Just be thankful it didn't get smashed, and make that SOB pay for a new one. If not, make sure he passes out again on the couch, outside, or anywhere where it's convenient.

Well i didn't mean it like that :dead1:

Whether its a fish tank, furniture, statues, paintings etc. If something is damages, esp something of a high value - it begs the question of whos responsible for it. As i said, they should be exercising some degree of caution in someones home. But as Jhale said, he's not sure when they entered. If they knocked over a 10 dollar picture frame i'd let it go, but lets say they knocked over a $3,000 statue or painting, i dunno if i could be so easily convinced they werent at fault. I'd hate to bash them for trying to do their job, but Jhale could be lookin at a pricey fix to this issue. Why pass up the opportunity is the city has some sort of policy to help him out, cause you know the dead beat who started the fire wont give a damn

As for the man who started the fire... roll out the MR war machine :tank:

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I think home owners insurance goes a long wait towards putting one at ease. And that goes for stuff like fires, floods, etc. And yes, you can get it for an apt too.

Now i do have a problem with this. Since they left your door open, who's responsible is they just happen to break in? I know that if my door was left open, i would be deep red!

Psycho graphic

Trouble Maker!
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
J, look in the phone book for a glass shop that does mobile auto glass. They won't be able to make it flawless, but they should be able to make it WAY less noticable. I have a client of mine who does this work, it's amzing how well they can fix something like this.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: