• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

P

Pedro

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Damn, you guys can't catch a break. As long as i don't see a Regular Stream thread, i'm all good!

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
108   0   0
The shafts are
stainless steel, you can prove this because stainless steel cannot be
picked up with a magnet. Stainless steel will develop a surface
oxidation, it is not really rust because it will never procede beyond
the surface. You will see the same thing on stainless steel forks
and knives when taken from the dishwasher, if you look close they
have small spots of oxidation. You can scratch it off with your
fingernail or even a cloth. The shafts should not come out. All
stainless steel shafts in pumps show this, if you remove the end
pieces from a maxi jet shaft you will see the same thing. The
problem is that the shafts have come out but any pump I send you will
form small spots of surface oxidation and this will not harm the
reef, if it did they would not sell iron as a reef supplement

this is what i was told when talking about my recent rust issue ,,(NOTE THIS IS NOT WITH VORTECT THIS WAS WITH MY TUNZE NANO )

tomzpc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if it was rust, which I'm not sure that it is because I get the same deposit on the titanium impellar of my velocity pump, I would just vinegar soak it, clean it off and not worry about it. We put cups of phosban or rowaphos into our system and those are basically rust.

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Because it's not your vortech! :) Just kidding. Perhaps it is indeed 100% harmless.

I should have pulled the screw last night to check it out. What bothers me is that the few times I've pulled the pump out to clean it I've always wiped off a brownish orange film from the magnet. I figured it was just algae/film from being in the tank. Seeing how easily the dust wipes off when dry kind of freaks me out. Whatever it is it accumulates fairly quickly and I'd imagine it has put an unknown amount of this into the water.

fritz

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Hmmm VERY interesting. I run phosban/rowa religiously.
Anyone have some nearby and a magnet? See if it sticks or if the dust is attracted to the magnet. I'm going to try it when I get home.

fritz

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
You likely wouldn't see any except on the cleaning surface where it would be attracted. The cleaning surface is usually very scratchy and dark so you wouldn't notice it if it were there.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: