• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Thanks, Bill, but all I have left to do is add the substrate, plant the seagrass, and fill this mother UP! Yeah, baby! :D

A

Anonymous

greenighs":3k7fg816 said:
Thanks, Bill, but all I have left to do is add the substrate, plant the seagrass, and fill this mother UP! Yeah, baby! :D

I wasn't talking about helping you with the TANK :wink:

A

Anonymous

ctgretzky99":nur7893m said:
greenighs":nur7893m said:

I wasn't talking about helping you with the TANK :wink:
:oops:

:lol: :lol:

A

Anonymous

You crazy kids with all your sexual innuendo...

Tank looks great, Clare! How many different kinds of macro will you have?

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

I've been told that I should limit my macro species to two or three. So, I've decided to choose two of the heartiest local red macros to anchor to the rocks, and plant the entire substrate with eel grass. There will be two 175 watt MH (15,000K) to support the grass, so hopefully that will be enough.

A

Anonymous

I can't wait to see it all done, Clare...I love seahorse-specific tanks.

When I get home I'll try and dig up the shot of the 65g seahorse tank I used to have running at the shop I ran. I have photos of the babies I attempted to raise in the shop, too.

I really should organize my reef photos, but I have around 17,000 jpg files on my machine...it'd be a full-time job. :)

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

Here's a sneak preview ... it's gotta do a minicycle before I add more macros and the seagrass. The sandbed is crazy deep, I know. I have to find some temperate sand sifters now.

tank-filled-vert-2.jpg

(The sponge filter is in the sump to seed the rock with bacteria.)

A

Anonymous

cvp7900":1lpoc692 said:
Clare, you mixed white and black sand?
No, it's 80% CaribSea Refugium Mineral Mud on top, with a bottom layer of 20% topsoil/potting soil (rinsed, soaked and skimmed of all the perlite).

The top layer (about 1/3 of the Mineral Mud) has spent the past 6 weeks cycling in a rubbermaid tub in my kitchen, with a sponge filter and lots of old freezer-burned mysis and other frozen fish foods thrown in. Extra pungent, I tell ya. But it's really rich now, and full of nitrifying bacteria. I'm feeding it sinking shrimp pellets daily until I add the livestock in September (they're coming from Australia then!!) :D

A

Anonymous

Okay, installing the auto-top-off system (JBJ, and a 15-gallon Tamco tank from U.S. Plastics ((nice and strong, doesn't bow, won't crack)) with anAquaLift pump) tonight, then I order the canister filter. It will mainly be used for chemical and mechanical filtration (carbon, Polyfilter), and additional flow. The intake will be from the first section of the sump, right after the filter sock, and the return is to the display.

Question is:

Fluval 405 or Eheim Pro II Filter 2028? Anyone have experience with these filters?

A

Anonymous

Progress thus far. I collected some seagrasses and macros in Rhode Island this weekend (yes, in the rain).

Attachments

• sump-macros_01.jpg
    sump-macros_01.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 3,279
  • seagrass_01.jpg
    seagrass_01.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 3,278
  • planted_01.jpg
    planted_01.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 3,278
A

Anonymous

Greenie, any idea what that thick-stemmed macro in the second picture is? I've been growing it in low light areas of my tanks for a couple of years. (It was a hitchhiker) I keep thinking that it would be a good hitching post for ponies. Looks like you beat me to it. :D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: