• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

cvp7900":3dstpe8w said:
Matt, do you need more pics? I have a few that you did not list. Did you want to list all?

Let me know.

Which ones? Dottybacks?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Sebae Clown, Midus Blenny & Diamond Goby.....sorry I didn't look up there scientific names.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A. sebae is very rare in the trade. You may just have a Clark's clown. If it was though, they get 5 inches long, and they're very deep bodied when mature. That's like a softball with fins in your tank!

Midas blenny is on there, it's Ecsenius midas.

Diamond goby? Does it have a yellow head, white body, with a horizontal blue stripe under its eye? Constantly eating sand? If so, it's a Valencienna goby. I covered them in the "Unsuitable Fish" part.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_Wandell":1z6ojwz2 said:
A. sebae is very rare in the trade. You may just have a Clark's clown. If it was though, they get 5 inches long, and they're very deep bodied when mature. That's like a softball with fins in your tank!

Diamond goby? Does it have a yellow head, white body, with a horizontal blue stripe under its eye? Constantly eating sand? If so, it's a Valencienna goby. I covered them in the "Unsuitable Fish" part.

I'm not sure if it's a Sebae, but that's what they sold it to me as. And a pic of my diamond boby.

Attachments

• Crissy 013.jpg
    Crissy 013.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,286
  • Crissy 011.jpg
    Crissy 011.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,286
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cvp7900":1uoy1how said:
Matt_Wandell":1uoy1how said:

I'm not sure if it's a Sebae, but that's what they sold it to me as. And a pic of my diamond boby.

Yeah, that looks like a Clark's clown. They're huge nasty fish when they mature.

I think the goby you have is V. puellaris? It's definitely a Valencienna sp. The issue with these fish is that they need a whole lot of mature sandbed to get adequately fed. I've seen them starving in 55s with a nice deep sandbed. Each one covers something like 10 square feet of sandbed in the wild on average, to forage for tiny infauna in the sand. They ignore prepared foods IME. In addition, they get around 8" long when fully grown!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_Wandell":30zb9fy2 said:
How long have you had the goby? Is it eating?

5 mo. He eats all the time. Why? Wait I had him with my old tank so he must be 9-10 mos old.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_Wandell":35agkkm6 said:
cvp7900":35agkkm6 said:
Matt_Wandell":35agkkm6 said:

Yeah, that looks like a Clark's clown. They're huge nasty fish when they mature.

I think the goby you have is V. puellaris? It's definitely a Valencienna sp. The issue with these fish is that they need a whole lot of mature sandbed to get adequately fed. I've seen them starving in 55s with a nice deep sandbed. Each one covers something like 10 square feet of sandbed in the wild on average, to forage for tiny infauna in the sand. They ignore prepared foods IME. In addition, they get around 8" long when fully grown!

8O He eats shrimp pellets as prepared food. He digs under my rocks all the time. Making little tunnels. He's so cool to watch.

cindre2000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say you mentioned almost every fish that I have kept in my various nanos, including the whitetail dwarf angel. However, I did keep a fuzzy dwarf lionfish (with a yellow bellied damsel, neon blue damsel, whitetailed angel, and bicolor blenny) in a well filtered 30 gallon. Though, once the dwarf got past a certain size I would have to move him to a roomier tank.

I miss my fish...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cindre2000":w1nmdvsv said:
I have to say you mentioned almost every fish that I have kept in my various nanos, including the whitetail dwarf angel. However, I did keep a fuzzy dwarf lionfish (with a yellow bellied damsel, neon blue damsel, whitetailed angel, and bicolor blenny) in a well filtered 30 gallon. Though, once the dwarf got past a certain size I would have to move him to a roomier tank.

I miss my fish...

Thanks! Fuzzy dwarfs are way cool fish for reefs. I currently have one in a 90 gallon reef tank with an aggressive community. They grow pretty quickly, and they do get too big for what I'd consider a nano.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One Ecsenius blenny that I have been seeing more of, is Ecsenius stigmatura, the "tail spot" blenny.

Would be a lovely nano fish. I have had mine for several months.

Curiously, he really prefers flake food over anything else. Mine seems to be even smaller than the bi color I had previously.

The LFS got one in by mistake, had it listed as a bicolor. He didn't know what it was and I didn't save either for the fact it was clearly an Ecsenius blenny, so I bought it. :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Laura D":z0n6dh8v said:
One Ecsenius blenny that I have been seeing more of, is Ecsenius stigmatura, the "tail spot" blenny.

Would be a lovely nano fish. I have had mine for several months.

Curiously, he really prefers flake food over anything else. Mine seems to be even smaller than the bi color I had previously.

The LFS got one in by mistake, had it listed as a bicolor. He didn't know what it was and I didn't save either for the fact it was clearly an Ecsenius blenny, so I bought it. :D

Thanks Laura! Nice looking fish! Any pics you can share?

I've been to a wholesaler and seen somewhere around 8 or 9 different species from this genus at one time. There are just SO many. There's a lot that are extremely similar in appearance too, and nearly impossible to distinguish from each other. The E. opsifrontalis complex is a good example of this. Here's one of my favorites that I haven't seen offered for sale, E. axelrodi.

Attachments

• pict0037.jpg
    pict0037.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 1,178
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just knew I would be asked for a photo!! :lol:

No, I don't have a decent pic but will try and get one sometime soon. I will have to get the glass cleaned on the side of my tank real good, so I can get a good photo of him in his fave hidey hole. If I get a good one I will post it for you. You don't see those tail spot blennies very often, although my LFS just got in another one the other day, they must be getting popular in the trade.

We don't usually see much variety in fish out here, just usually run of the mill stuff, so I was eager to get something I had never seen before. It's pretty cool how many of these type of blennies there are, and I imagine they all would make nice reef fish for small tanks.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you give a mention of chromis vanderbilti already, but might be worth expanding on it. I got four of'em last week and I'm just blown away by them. I'd think they'd be perfect in a nano.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cjdevito":2h2vay0z said:
I know you give a mention of chromis vanderbilti already, but might be worth expanding on it. I got four of'em last week and I'm just blown away by them. I'd think they'd be perfect in a nano.
Oh yeah, those are great little fishies. How much interspecific aggression are you seeing? How big of a tank is it?

I got a group of 6 Apogon compressus the other day, by the way. Their eyes shine bright blue! 8)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Laura D":2vxsvvz8 said:
I just knew I would be asked for a photo!! :lol:

No, I don't have a decent pic but will try and get one sometime soon. I will have to get the glass cleaned on the side of my tank real good, so I can get a good photo of him in his fave hidey hole. If I get a good one I will post it for you. You don't see those tail spot blennies very often, although my LFS just got in another one the other day, they must be getting popular in the trade.

We don't usually see much variety in fish out here, just usually run of the mill stuff, so I was eager to get something I had never seen before. It's pretty cool how many of these type of blennies there are, and I imagine they all would make nice reef fish for small tanks.

Thanks Laura!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: