• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I can't speak of the suitability of any of those fish for nano, because I have never kept a nano, but I can say that is one outstanding piece of work.

Nicely done!

Louey

A

Anonymous

Looks good, but...

I've never kept a cardinalfish at home!

My favorite saltwater fish family! Give them a try some time :D

Anyway, a few specific notes...
Blue eye Cardinal, Apogon leptacanthus (2.5")
I've seen this fish kept in groups in large tanks. Not sure how well it would do in a smaller tank.

Just about the perfect fish. Also called the glass or threadfin cardinal. A true schooling fish, it will school in even small tanks. They are shy but gradually gain a bit of boldness if nothing in the tank will bother them. Hearty eaters, hardy fish, breeds easily in captivity. A group of 3-4 would definitely be okay in a 20 gallon.

Other small cardinals suitable for a nano are the Pyjama cardinal, orangelined cardinal (another schooling fish), any of the luminous/arrow/mini cardinals (small schooling cardinals under 1" TL, such as apogon neotes or rhabdamia gracilis) if you're lucky enough to find a source of them. The conch fish (a cardinal that lives inside of conch shells, even commensually with live conch) would also be suitable, just a bit cryptic.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Louey":3cthlqv1 said:
I can't speak of the suitability of any of those fish for nano, because I have never kept a nano, but I can say that is one outstanding piece of work.

Nicely done!

Louey

love0030.gif
Agreed!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Matt. I did get some red "X"s though. It must be me.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys!

wings":1u3nrhqj said:
Nice Matt. I did get some red "X"s though. It must be me.

Nah, I did too just now. I think I made an internetiquette boo boo. I hotlinked all those from fishbase.org, and just now realized I need to get authorization to use them. Once I do I can attach them in a separate thread here at RDO and hotlink from there so they'll always be visible.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cjdevito":2hdokm8f said:
Looks good, but...

I've never kept a cardinalfish at home!

My favorite saltwater fish family! Give them a try some time :D

Anyway, a few specific notes...
Blue eye Cardinal, Apogon leptacanthus (2.5")
I've seen this fish kept in groups in large tanks. Not sure how well it would do in a smaller tank.

Just about the perfect fish. Also called the glass or threadfin cardinal. A true schooling fish, it will school in even small tanks. They are shy but gradually gain a bit of boldness if nothing in the tank will bother them. Hearty eaters, hardy fish, breeds easily in captivity. A group of 3-4 would definitely be okay in a 20 gallon.

Other small cardinals suitable for a nano are the Pyjama cardinal, orangelined cardinal (another schooling fish), any of the luminous/arrow/mini cardinals (small schooling cardinals under 1" TL, such as apogon neotes or rhabdamia gracilis) if you're lucky enough to find a source of them. The conch fish (a cardinal that lives inside of conch shells, even commensually with live conch) would also be suitable, just a bit cryptic.

Thanks CJ!!!

I forgot about the pajama cardinal. :D

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonderful work, Matt!! :D

Are you planning on expanding (in terms of pictures and descriptions) the goby "section"?

Again, excellent job!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really only have one problem Matt. The Blue Spot Jawfish. You say "West Coast Mexico". That's kinda a bit broad, and innaccurate. If you go to Magnalana Bay, you'll find none. Go to Aculpulco, you'll find none. They're only found "within the Sea of Cortez, Baja Mexico"

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bleedingthought":475hqd8t said:

Are you planning on expanding (in terms of pictures and descriptions) the goby "section"?

Again, excellent job!

Yes!

It's such a huge job, I'm saving it for last. Hopefully by the end of this week. I'm free all day Friday. :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GreshamH":xjvwvhuc said:
I really only have one problem Matt. The Blue Spot Jawfish. You say "West Coast Mexico". That's kinda a bit broad, and innaccurate. If you go to Magnalana Bay, you'll find none. Go to Aculpulco, you'll find none. They're only found "within the Sea of Cortez, Baja Mexico"

Hey, some books say "Eastern Pacific". :D I'll fix it.

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_Wandell":1j09e34x said:
bleedingthought":1j09e34x said:

Again, excellent job!

Yes!

It's such a huge job, I'm saving it for last. Hopefully by the end of this week. I'm free all day Friday. :D
Awesome!!! :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_Wandell":128kd4fb said:
bleedingthought":128kd4fb said:

Again, excellent job!

Yes!

:lol: Very true

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Matt, I'm taking my time reading that book you wrote ;) but I just wanted to say upfront: VERY NICE JOB 8)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brilliant stuff Matt. Mentally filed for use when I get my tank. 8)

Hopefully before too long... :(

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I did a bunch more stuff this weekend. Filled in the goby section, but still writing a bit of info for each goby species. If anyone has any info contrary to what you see, weird behaviors of a fish, common fish I haven't added, whatever, please let me know. Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arabian dottyback, Pseudochromis aldabraensis

I hate this little biotch!! I'm fish sitting for my sis-in-law until my her tank finishes cycling. He took out 3 of my peppermint shrimp. He supposed to eat bristle worms but he seems to have a taste for my shrimp. If I could catch the bugger, he would be flushed!

Ok, I'm better now. I needed to get that off my chest.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt, do you need more pics? I have a few that you did not list. Did you want to list all?

Let me know.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: