Do you quarantine your livestock/lliverock before placing in your tank?

• yes, always

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • sometimes

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • no

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • undecided

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

SuRFeR BoY

BooSten Audi A4 -Aim
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I've read so much about quaranting, but I'd love to get your feedback about it!
Always qt. It’s impossible to keep ich out of a reef tank. If fish are fed well, they will coexist with ich. You may not even realize it is in your system. It’s Brooke and velvet that will kill every last fish and is avoidable with qt imo.

Timfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, EVERYTHING needs to be quaritined, fish corals and inverts. I however have to agree with PAULB on most of the QT setups and prophylactic things done cause too much stress and ultimately kill animals. I use live rock in my systems along with large oversized UVsterilizors. (~1/2 watt per gallon)

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
I never qted before. I Had ich and just dealt with it and some fish died. Still didn't qt. This year I bought a nice sailfin and it had velvet. And killed all my fish except 2 chromis'. Now I qt every fish. I lost fish that I had for nearly a decade.

Last edited:

TerraReef

Experienced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are completely obsessive over quarantine. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. We care a great deal about the animals in our care.

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
It’s ? must… anyone saying other please let us drop a fish w velvet in your tank.. let’s see how that goes.
Some parasites and bacterias can be fought, others it’s over.
Also u don’t need to go through every med and so on.. u can deworm a fish or even watch it for 2 months just to make sure it doesn’t have brook or velvet

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
I never qt. Had ich and just dealt with it and some fish died. Still didn't qt. This year I bought a nice sailfin and it had velvet. And killed all my fish except 2 chromis'. Now I qt every fish. I lost fish that I had for nearly a decade.
You prob had strong ich,, velvet takes down huge fat healthy fish and kills alll like the plague

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
I dunno. It killed my neon dottyback, royal gramma, 3 clownfish, powder brown and sailfin tang all within a few days of each other. Losing 2 fish a day. It was heartbreaking. Only the two green chromis didn't die.
Could be bacterial
Or even brook… who knows… velvet and if they are swimming up too by surface, swimming into power heads and literally look
Like zombies.. that’s how u know.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
I have never quarantined anything. I've been bit this for reef pests (red bugs, AEFW, sponges, stolonifera), but never had any issue with fish at all (jumping doesn't count in my opinion).

I should also state that I don't really have room for a real quarantine system, if I had a full basement I would definitely have a tank where I could observe new animals for pests.

Timbo

Got Reef?
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I never quarantined a fish before but after losing half my stock because of a new fish being added I will probably quarantine to observe for a month before adding to the tank from now on.

It was a crushing blow to see fish that were all several years old, fat, and healthy be decimated by what I think was velvet. I had to take out almost all the rock, which was set up perfect, and move them all to qt to treat and waited 90 days to add what was left back into that tank.

I have not added a single new fish since the loss because it scares the living $hit out of me to go through all that again, even with a quarantine tank set up.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Not only do I hypo salinity treat my fish, I currently quarantine LPS (euphilias) to prevent bacterial infections (including brown jelly and peeling tissue) with ciprofloxacin, after I had one head contaminate and wipe out almost a dozen other species in my system, jumping from one head to another. Treatment is for 7 days, I'm dosing twice a day, since I have so much of the antibiotic prepared from one pill, and have to discard the remainder after treatment in my 5 gallon tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: