greg 45

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Pacific sun has a color similar to that doesn't seem to offer much
maybe they can chime in here on this issue.
yorgos from imagineaocean doesn't even own a par meter
do most of these company's do any research with there customers
most reefers want blue leds for pop what about growth
blue grows nothing
running my pacsuns at 100% looking for more power

Last edited:

greg 45

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
now I am confused if I run a uv and it has a uv filter what is it producing
nottick how usefull is this just like the pac sun has red green orange
aren't all the colors in the spectrum enhanced by the water this is making me dizzy
when I go out in the sun it doesn't look like any of these lamps
I guess we cannot replicate the sun no matter how hard we try its like 3000 par or more

Nottick

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
now I am confused if I run a uv and it has a uv filter what is it producing
nottick how usefull is this just like the pac sun has red green orange
aren't all the colors in the spectrum enhanced by the water this is making me dizzy
when I go out in the sun it doesn't look like any of these lamps
I guess we cannot replicate the sun no matter how hard we try its like 3000 par or more

Greg... I am by no means an expert on this however Im a smart guy and look at things as logically as possible.

We will never replicate the sun IMO. We can only hope to have a fixture that provides us with the essential Spectrums to the corals which others with much higher degrees than I have studied.

Also my requirements are simple:
Im in this as a hobby, not to make money so insane growth is not important to me and honestly if I was looking to aquaculture I would choose MH over LED anyday.

Low power consumption
Low heat transfer and production
Great Color "POP"
Long spans of time that dont require maintenance IE Bulb change every 6-12 months to compensate for spectrum shift

Many of these additional colors ( Red, Cyan, UV Etc...) May increase color and growth however how many times have you heard of someone with AI's Praising them for the color and growth ( all the time ) People love them. So with a fixture that can provide a little more for cheaper is great in my book. I personally dont think UV is necessary. Ive seen some nice tanks with AI's which lack the UV Spectrum.

All in all Great Price and quality Cree LED chips are good in my book and will have a review done by a well respected blogger in no time.

FathomLED

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 66.7%
6   3   0
Thats somthing you would have to ask them. it does not say on their site...

Regardless of manufacture it has been in use for a while and is proven to work which is all I need to sell me :)

Now that's just got me confused do you feel the violet is useful or not?

Greg... I am by no means an expert on this however Im a smart guy and look at things as logically as possible.

We will never replicate the sun IMO. We can only hope to have a fixture that provides us with the essential Spectrums to the corals which others with much higher degrees than I have studied.

Im in this as a hobby, not to make money so insane growth is not important to me and honestly if I was looking to aquaculture I would choose MH over LED anyday.

Low power consumption
Great Color "POP"
Long spans of time that dont require maintenance IE Bulb change every 6-12 months to compensate for spectrum shift

Many of these additional colors ( Red, Cyan, UV Etc...) May increase color and growth however how many times have you heard of someone with AI's Praising them for the color and growth ( all the time ) People love them. So with a fixture that can provide a little more for cheaper is great in my book. I personally dont think UV is necessary. Ive seen some nice tanks with AI's which lack the UV Spectrum.

All in all Great Price and quality Cree LED chips are good in my book and will have a review done by a well respected blogger in no time.

****************************************************************************************************

Growth in my opinion falls hand in hand with coral health. So wouldn't growth be something you would look for from a light?

Also the other colors are something to consider. Especially the red. As you can see in this excerpt from a Dana Riddle Study
"The Photosynthesis ?Pressure Relief Valve? ? The Xanthophyll Cycle:
Zooxanthellae (as well as many plants) have a protective pathway in place called the ?Xanthophyll Cycle?. In zooxanthellae, two xanthophylls are involved: Diadinoxanthin and Diatoxanthin. Blue light is absorbed by diadinoxanthin which converts it to diatoxanthin (in darkness, the cycle reverses and diatoxanthin reverts to diadinoxanthin). There are various other names for this naturally occurring process ? phycologists (those who study algae) call it Non-Photochemical Quenching (or NPQ), while others call it ?Dynamic Photoinhibition?. Whatever the name, this xanthophyll cycle offers protection against high intensity light. However, the protection offered is not unlimited. When all diadinoxanthin is converted, the cycle offers no further protection. Figure 2 shows the absorbances of these two xanthophylls. Note that only blue light is involved in the conversion and it offers no protection from other wavelengths, especially red light" Riddle, Dana-Reefs Magazine.

http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/...sity-requirements-shallow-tidepool-coral.html

Something to consider....

Last edited:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
If you can wait a month for my true opinion on rapid leds and the leds i picked i will be sharing my experience.

Good luck with that Tony. It's been a month since I put a radion over my frag tank and I still don't know what to think. I faded most of the SPS running at 45% max, spectrum looks ok, color pop is great on LPS/zoos and mediocre on SPS. Growth continued the same at the ATI T5 fixture that I had on there previously. I love the controllability but not an LED lover so far. I'm going to give it a good 6 months before I make a decision to keep or sell.

greg 45

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Well there is a issue I am a anemone person
Yes I sell them try to get back to health after shipping
so yes this is very important to sustain health and growth I see you selling maybe to cover costs for your tank so growth and life of a animal is important you frag also so why isn't growth important
There isn't a led company that can offer me help with led pacific sun keeps telling me to lower the power to 30 to 40 %
after I lost a big blue hadoni , this is the reason the pacific sun are up for sale on one of my threds
I am not a vendor on this sight so I am not revealing company name
Most mods on here know I don't promote the company on here or provide pictures
all these company have candles for par

FathomLED

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 66.7%
6   3   0
Well there is a issue I am a anemone person
Yes I sell them try to get back to health after shipping
so yes this is very important to sustain health and growth I see you selling maybe to cover costs for your tank so growth and life of a animal is important you frag also so why isn't growth important
There isn't a led company that can offer me help with led pacific sun keeps telling me to lower the power to 30 to 40 %
after I lost a big blue hadoni , this is the reason the pacific sun are up for sale on one of my threds
I am not a vendor on this sight so I am not revealing company name
Most mods on here know I don't promote the company on here or provide pictures
all these company have candles for par

pm sent
Lets have a look.
And see what readings can be taken as this is an interesting subject as we have not heard of any ill effects from Randy as to our lights over the anemone tank. 949 Fathom1 and we will set up a time and bring over the proper equipment (goes for you too Tony)

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Im hoping for the best rich. I think i got most of the colors needed for color and growth. I took before pics and cant wait to see the after :).

Fathom If your talking about the efficiency or par i would love to know how this led kit is doing.

Last edited:

Nottick

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Now that's just got me confused do you feel the violet is useful or not?

Low power consumption
Great Color "POP"

****************************************************************************************************

Growth in my opinion falls hand in hand with coral health. So wouldn't growth be something you would look for from a light?

Also the other colors are something to consider. Especially the red. As you can see in this excerpt from a Dana Riddle Study
"The Photosynthesis ?Pressure Relief Valve? ? The Xanthophyll Cycle:
Zooxanthellae (as well as many plants) have a protective pathway in place called the ?Xanthophyll Cycle?. In zooxanthellae, two xanthophylls are involved: Diadinoxanthin and Diatoxanthin. Blue light is absorbed by diadinoxanthin which converts it to diatoxanthin (in darkness, the cycle reverses and diatoxanthin reverts to diadinoxanthin). There are various other names for this naturally occurring process ? phycologists (those who study algae) call it Non-Photochemical Quenching (or NPQ), while others call it ?Dynamic Photoinhibition?. Whatever the name, this xanthophyll cycle offers protection against high intensity light. However, the protection offered is not unlimited. When all diadinoxanthin is converted, the cycle offers no further protection. Figure 2 shows the absorbances of these two xanthophylls. Note that only blue light is involved in the conversion and it offers no protection from other wavelengths, especially red light" Riddle, Dana-Reefs Magazine.

http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/...sity-requirements-shallow-tidepool-coral.html

Something to consider....

I dont feel Health and growth go hand in hand. A coral can be healthy but not growing as quickly. There are numerous contributing factors which promote coral growth which includes Water parameters...

People have had great growth with the two tone AI's so to me water parameters play a larger role given the scenario.

All in all if people are content ( as am I content) with some of the AI tanks and can get a fixture which is better ( IMO of course ) for a fraction of the cost ( Minus some bells and whistles which have no proven gains ) its a winner in my book.

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Good luck with that Tony. It's been a month since I put a radion over my frag tank and I still don't know what to think. I faded most of the SPS running at 45% max, spectrum looks ok, color pop is great on LPS/zoos and mediocre on SPS. Growth continued the same at the ATI T5 fixture that I had on there previously. I love the controllability but not an LED lover so far. I'm going to give it a good 6 months before I make a decision to keep or sell.

I am pretty sure your fading is due to running them at less than half power. Obviously you need to take it up slowly but why would you expect vivid colors running anything at 45%? Also, I want to go fishing and is your leprechauns beard still alive? :givebeer:

FathomLED

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 66.7%
6   3   0
Im hoping for the best rich. I think i got most of the colors needed for color and growth. I took before pics and cant wait to see the after :).

Fathom If your talking about the efficiency or par i would love to know how this led kit is doing.

Much deeper than efficiency and par. It gets down to spectrum analysis irradiance and reflectance based on the corals you house in your system. If you read the Riddle article there is a saturation point.

Also apparently due to the influence of this Rapid has now updated their site for the fixture to include the fact they are using Semi LED. Wow some people must have some pull around here to make that happen!:scratch::scratch: :Lurking:

Last edited:

Nottick

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Much deeper than efficiency and par. It gets down to spectrum analysis irradiance and reflectance based on the corals you house in your system. If you read the Riddle article there is a saturation point.

Also apparently due to the influence of this Rapid has now updated their site for the fixture to include the fact they are using Semi LED. Wow some people must have some pull around here to make that happen!:scratch::scratch: :Lurking:

Or maybe it was brought to their attention that it wasn't listed :scratch:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: