partobe

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi Everyone. I have my 36 gallon low tech tank set up. Still too cloudy to post pix. I went yesterday to pick up my glass hood. Figured while I was there I would have my ph tested so I could start thinking about what kind of fish I wanted to put in after the tank cycles. From the tap it test high at 7.6(thats as high as the chart card goes so could be higher) They suggested "proper ph 7.0" I put in my tank and this am the tank is testing at 6.8( I must have put in a little too much). My question is can I have fish in 7.6 ph(besides cichlids )? Or do I need to keep adding the ph 70 each time I add water.
Here are the fish Im thinking
A Betta tank 1 male 6-7 females
A dwarf gouramis tank
A community tank with mixed platies and swords
Angels
thanks for your help

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Out of the ones you listed the Platies and Swords would probably be best at a higher pH. I would avoid Angels with a higher pH though since they usually like it lower. I agree with Jeff though, throw away the proper pH and just work with what you have.

partobe

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks Howze Ill just start using reg tap water with a little stress coat. Ive ruled out the Betta because I want shrimp and I had already figured out the Angels wouldn't work. Platies and swords arent my fav so Im going to doa little research and see what else might work. I think I would rather have fancy guppies than sword are platies but even they dont excite me that much.

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
What about Rainbows? Some of the bigger ones may not be safe with the shrimp but there are smaller ones like Furcata or Threadfin that are pretty small and are beautiful little fish. There are plenty of nice little Barbs too that would work. Again, the bigger ones should be avoided because of the shrimp but the Danios, White Clouds and Rasboras would be great. Especially Rasboras, they are cool little fish! Harlequins are pretty easy to find, cheap and very nice.

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
The male furcata is just a real looker. The threadfin is a good one too. They got small throats so the adult shrimps are safe but still babies are a snack.

@partobe, just remember if you plan keeping shrimp (ie, dwarf shrimps) if it can fit in the mouth if a fish, it will eat it. There really is no shrimp safe fish. Well except for the otocinclus catfish. All others have some risk in eating your shrimp.
The harlequin rasbora (well the smaller false harlequin) I got before and learned the hard way that they harass the dwarf shrimps so I took them out. Still a case to case basis though as some had successfuly kept them with dwarf shrimps.
Danios and white clouds will make a feast of the baby shrimps so if you plan on breeding the shrimp, shy away from them or you can just keep bigger shrimps such as the amano shrimp (great algae eater too).

Try to look into endler's live bearers. kinda like guppies but are not guppies. much smaller and prolific breeders too. I also have them in my tank now together with my dwarf shrimps.

Here is a nanofish list from tpt http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/planted-nano-tanks/31095-nanofish-list-v1-0-a.html not all are shrimp safe though.

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
What about Rainbows? Some of the bigger ones may not be safe with the shrimp but there are smaller ones like Furcata or Threadfin that are pretty small and are beautiful little fish. There are plenty of nice little Barbs too that would work. Again, the bigger ones should be avoided because of the shrimp but the Danios, White Clouds and Rasboras would be great. Especially Rasboras, they are cool little fish! Harlequins are pretty easy to find, cheap and very nice.
Blue rainbow is my favorite

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
threadfins are my favorite Rainbows. The blues would get too big for him but they are really nice fish. I really like the Amano Shrimp too. Very good algae eaters and they are tough too. I had babies survive with little fish like that because of the huge amount of java Moss I had. They would hide in there and pop out when they were big enough. Your Java would probably have to grow out a bit for that though. Amanos are tough too. I had a 55 that I emptied (almost, there was about 2" of water in it) when i moved. Put the tank in the garage over the winter. When I went to move it in the spring, there were about 50 Amanos in there. Guess I missed a couple when I emptied the tank and they crazy in there.

partobe

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
thanks Jeff Wingo and Howze
I dont plan on raising the shrimp just want fish that wont eat the adults and if they wouldnt eat the babies that would be even better. The amano shrimp are nice looking but by sand is black and the back wall is black so I was hoping to find fish with a littl color to them. I wanted betta but I guess they would tear the adult shrimp up so thats out. I was thinking gourami but they would also eat my shrimp. I love the rainbow fish but my ph is really high and from what I understand they like low ph?
So now Im thinking plattys and guppies. Honestly Im not excited about either. Would bettas kile the amano shrimp? Are there any larger colorful shrimp? Man I thought salt water was hard lol. Oh what about blue crayfish?

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
The rainbows should be OK with higher pH. 7.6 isn't all THAT high anyway. I don't think you would have any problems with a Betta and Amanos. I had a couple of them that were up near 2" and I don't think a Betta would bother them.

I agree with Jeff about the Endler's Livebeares. If you aren't excited about Guppies, they are pretty cool little fish. Have you seen the Variatus Platies? They are a pretty good alternative to just regular old Platies.

partobe

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks Howze
Dont you need to add salt to the tank for platies? How wouldn't that affect my plants? What I think Im going to do is give the tank like another 3 weeks then take a trip over to fish town and see what catches my eye. I will have a list of do's and donts. I know Im pretty much stuck with platies or guppies if I want the small red shrimp(and I do). I checked out Endlers and they really dont do it for me they kind of look like feeder guppies to me. I guess ive gotten use to the salt water fish and just need some time to adjust.

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Nah, you don't need salt for Platies. Everything that is sold now is all captive bred and they raise them in fresh water. What about the Galaxy Rasboras? They are pretty amazing and they are teeny tiny little guys.

partobe

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
ok the more research i do the more it looks like Im stuck with guppies. They seem to be the only ones who dont go after the shrimp. I was leaning platies but on several threads people had posted that platies attack their shrimp. Now I have to convince myself I like guppies

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
I have the little guys in my tank.
Petco Union square regularly has the galaxy rasboras in stock for $3.99+tax.
Pacific on Delancey(I think) also has them from time to time. Much pricier though.
Bronx zoorama also has them in here regularly.
Cheapest to get them is in petco union square.

As for shrimp,you can get them at win aquarium over at mott st. between grand and broome. I think they have em for $2.50 a piece for the fire red shrimp and $10 a piece for the Crystal red shrimp(stripe red and white).
I suggest you get them from the swap and shop of tpt as the do 20 for $20 shipped on the regular cherry red shrimp.

Last edited:

partobe

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
thanks Jeff Im in queens and no car not sure how they aould fare on the subway. In two weeks Ill be ready to add fish I would actually love to have a tank of them they are so pretty. Ill see if they have them at fishtown. It takes me an hr by bus to get there but I take a care home after buying fish and that takes less than 20 min. The plants I bought from you seem really happy(well their alive and for me thats happy)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: