• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I am going to buy some filter socks from filterbag.com but i am a bit confused. There's a lot of choices of material and i wanted to know what do you guys use? polypropelene felt, nylon monofilament? or polyester felt?
is there a difference? do some last longer than others?

I was tinking the nylon monofilament mesh bag might be a little more wear resistant than the poly felt.

Also does anyone want to split the shipping for an order with me? I will have them delivered to park slope brooklyn.

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
aaron said:
come on guys I really need to know

I purchsed a box of 50 of this one: 4" x 14"

http://filterbag.com/aquarium.html

filterbag.jpg

Rich

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I had originally ordered the 50 for about $2.00 ea. with the idea of using them for one week and throwing them out. However, when I added the Sedra to my skimmer, I started getting lots of micro bubbles and decided to use a second bag to stop the bubbles from the sedra. With that, I also decided I would start washing them.

I am going to spend the next two or so weeks determining what I feel is best for the sock/system. I am leaning towards using one for 4 days and washing it. Three days doesn't show much build up, on the fourth day I can see the bag becoming dark.

This may all change though, I only have two fish in the tank right now.

As for cleaning.. I usually put them in the washing machine with white vinegar. I do a 14 minute wash, and two rinse cycles.

Rich

nycmat

nYo
Rating - 98.2%
55   1   0
i was at that point a while ago. I wash mine by themselves in a machine with bleach. turn them inside out and then just wash them again on a rinse with no soap or bleach, this will endure that there is no accidents or residue to get into your system.

i am not a pro at it but it works for me this way

matt

Pseudo

OG Member
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
If anyone needs the same size sock that Rborgia has (4"X14") let me know as I am ordering 50 of them next week thursday. They are $1.85 each. So far 30 of them are spoken for. I will have 20 left. These will have the plastic ring on them. Does anyone need some?

Kasei

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: