• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Group Buy at ATA (Atlantis Tropical)

Orgainizing a group buy at the following link

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/for/137596719.html

Please list what you want, I will sum up the purhcase and we share the expenses and margins for DOA.

I will put a holding tank in my club in Brooklyn so that you guys can have a more flexible time to pick up.

I myself will get a lot of live rock and some sand, plus couple fish. That should take care of somewhat half of the minimum $500, so lets do this together.

I will ask them to ship LS air while dry and heavy stuff ground.

I will summerize who want what here:
:hug: :goldfish2 :fish:

Ground/Dry Goods
Wingo: 80lb LR
Wingo: 40lb LS

Andy: 20lb LR Rubble

Air/Live Stock
Wingo: 2 Percula
Wingo: 3 Cleaner Shrimp
Wingo: 6 Flame Scallop
Wingo: 1 Red Ear Slider

Andy: 6 Discus
Andy: 2 Dwarf Lion

Last edited:

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Did you talk to them yet? How are you plan to split the shipping cost? UPS is not very cost effective to ship large amount of fish, corals, rocks, dry goods, etc..

I am in for some stuff, only after I have a confirmation from my buddy it is a legit place.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Eric stepped out and will be back in half an hour.

I will seperate the overnight order with the heavy stuff that goes ground. UPS ground usually takes 4 days to arrive even though UPS claims willt ake up to 10 days. So the LR, sand, equipment or so will go ground while LS will go air. I will let him tell me how much shipping cost first before I can tell how to share. My housemate is a shipping manager before so he basically can tell right off by hand picking the stuff up and tell me how much shipping it should be from there to here. However, the thing that actually worries me is how to split the "problem" of DOA. Let say 2 Clown fish ordered by person A and 3 ordered by person B but one of them died upon arrival-that's an issue we have to figure out first.

Last edited:

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Wingo, I would seperate your initial thread into lovestock and dry goods - you will be able to keep track of it better, also, you should use the first thread as the "holding ground" for what people want, have confirmed getting and whether or not they paid - this will help you keep track of it and also help the membership see the transaction is completed.

Having done a number of group buys, I have found this to work well.

House

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
there are always going to be DOA's in group buys. in this case i doubt there will be any refunds. it will be hard to figure out who gets what then, like you said.

also shipping live rock cross country via ground in the winter is not something I would do.
I'd imagine most of the life is going to die on it.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
JMO ,ask them if you can ship airport to airport,,you will save lots of money on shipping ,about 150 or more .that only if they ship that way

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Overnight from Cali is extremely prohibitive unless you are ordering a grand or more at cost. At those prices and no pictures I would be extremely weary. A lot of those prices are extremely under wholesale and it just doesn't sound kosher. If they are so reputable why are they posted on clist and not on their own site?

John

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 85.7%
12   2   0
Pierce is checking into it this week and as don said he has a friend in 2 weeks going to cali and is willing to look into the place. I say we sit still until than to find out what they really have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: