LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
OK, this came with my caulerpa. I checked Deanos's hitchhiker links, but no luck. B. thinks it is an anemone, but what kind?

Attachments

• hitchhiker anemone.jpg
    hitchhiker anemone.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 310

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Hm... nice color on it. Is that when it's fully expanded? If it isn't, take a pic when it is, maybe we an better identify it then. Congrat on your first hitchhiker...:lol:

jenniebutterfly

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
looks like it could be a mojano, which are considered pests, but the nice colored ones like that or the tulip variety i like and would leave, just let it find a spot it is happy in and place corals away from it

tomzpc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely appears to be an anemone but can't say for sure what kind. I don't think it's a majano although I reserve judgement upon the posting of further pictures! :tongue:

You mentioned that you thought it came with the caulerpa? Did you put caulerpa into your main tank? If so, I'd keep a close eye on it as it can gain a stronghold and take over a tank in short time. It is near impossible to completely remove from rockwork once firmly attached.

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I don't think it has a skeleton. It just feels like a little blob of ....snot actually. I guess we'll let it grow and see what it turns into?

Also, I put the caulerpa in the sump. I would like to find some beautiful macro algae that is not too invasive for the main tank though. I want to hide the overflow a bit. Any suggestions? Jenny did you find anything good when you were posting?

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Wait! Jennie said I could leave it because it is a good color. Just need to keep other things away from it. As long as it will not spread rampantly, I would like to keep it to see what it is.

jenniebutterfly

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
you can always juice the ones that get too close. i like them, and plan on getting more again. i used to have one just like it in my sons tank, but it disappeared one day. i am thinking of dedicating most of my new pico to them.

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Is it a rapid multiplier?

My book said they grow to 4-6 inches. This one is only about half an inch. Do they grow quickly?

If I do decide to get rid of it or if it splits, it's yours!

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Leslie I just like to be cautious if it could be a problem I like to take care of it before it becomes a problem. If you like it keep it. Like Jennie said you could keep the ones you like and nuke the ones that become a problem.

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
jkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk HaHa, Superfly the cat stepped on the key board. Looks like he is tryng to tell a joke!

Looks like the anemone is being bothered by the astrea snails. Might not have to take care of him myself.

Will green grape caulerpa attach to rocks? That is the one that I bought. It kept getting sucked toward my pump so I put it in an onion bag and suction cupped it to the wall of my sump. As long as it is getting light it's OK right?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: