• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Crissy, just an FYI, that is an Indonesian lord and not one from Japan or Australia. The latter are what we're talking about here.

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
StevenPro":6y774j5i said:
Wouldn't someone advertising and selling Japanese Lords end up in jail eventually?

Apparently not, since they're coming in to this country regularly.

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
marillion":3a7q3cr8 said:
GreshamH":3a7q3cr8 said:
Chip, I'm sure where Gems come from, they out number Lords by leaps and bounds. Besides, a fish can make a quicker come back IMO, then a encrusting photosynthetic coral can.

Okay, so I'll counter with...if Gems are so common, then why the $1,500 wholesale price tag?

Y'all annoyed yet? ;)

Peace,

Chip

You missed a key point in my post Chip, I enlarged it a bit for you :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duly noted and added to the round file ;) Never said grammer, nor spelling, was/is a strong point of mine :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gresh, you must've missed this point, then :

marillion":19y0vjg2 said:
GreshamH":19y0vjg2 said:
Chip, I'm sure where Gems come from, they out number Lords by leaps and bounds. Besides, a fish can make a quicker come back IMO, then a encrusting photosynthetic coral can.

Okay, so I'll counter with...if Gems are so common, then why the $1,500 wholesale price tag?

Y'all annoyed yet? ;)

Peace,

Chip

I regularly see new Japanese lord morphs offered up for sale. This is the first time in a long time Gems have been seen, and the price is huge.

Something doesn't add up. They're either plentiful and able to be brought into this country, or not.

Peace,

Chip :P

clarionreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gem tangs are not even common in the epicenter of their range.
Its not like they're the local scopas.
And futhermore; if any of youse guys controlled the supply, the price would be just as high...wouldn't it?
Steve

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
marillion":7c5kjzoo said:
Crissy, just an FYI, that is an Indonesian lord and not one from Japan or Australia. The latter are what we're talking about here.

Peace,

Chip

Thanks for clarifying that. Didn't know there was a difference.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cortez marine":2xbyjik9 said:
Gem tangs are not even common in the epicenter of their range.
Its not like they're the local scopas.
And futhermore; if any of youse guys controlled the supply, the price would be just as high...wouldn't it?
Steve

Where they come from, I'm sure they out number the acans on the ocean floor :D

true, it's a controlled market, thru and thru. The US doesn't see many, others will pay far more then the ol El Cheapo Americans :lol:

I'm still waiting on a way to actually see if these "Japanesse" acans are even that. IMO, if it has better colors, they slap the Japanesse label on it for a higher selling point.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GreshamH":1q2yaxfd said:
Duly noted and added to the round file ;) Never said grammer, nor spelling, was/is a strong point of mine :lol:

heh some folks here think the same of me ;)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GreshamH":awx3ai7b said:
I'm still waiting on a way to actually see if these "Japanesse" acans are even that. IMO, if it has better colors, they slap the Japanesse label on it for a higher selling point.

AMEN! ;)

Seriously, with all the acans coming out of Indo/whatever nowadays, you'd think that SOME of them would have colors that are amazing.

I've yet to see it. That's the 'way' to tell. :D

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the advent of the internet, the collectors/exporters have had a glimpse into what is "rare" and will fetch them more money. If it's pretty and another country is willing to pay, or a stateside company that pays a premium is willing, it goes to them. Now, if they want to jack the price of this pretty piece, they can add a marketting key words, like Japanesse acan and fetch that premium.

Where do you think the micros are coming from, and what premium has been placed on them by the exporter/importer?

dizzy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's truely rare it is probably not sustainable. Please leave it where it is. Remember sustainability is far more beautiful than any fish or coral could ever be.

sdcfish

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys,

I was lucky enough to come across a friend of mine (wholesaler outside the U.S.A) who get's the Gem tangs now and then. To give you and idea of their frequency, you can catch about 1 gem tang for every 40 boxes of fish that are shipped.

These were the first Gem tangs I had ever seen with my own two eyes....although I had heard about them many times being around over the years.

The price issue is simply "supply and demand". I just took a chance and said yes, I will pay that price.......and they sold in one day! I guess $1500 was too cheap.

I do think we have chance of getting more in the near future......keeping my fingers crossed. Maybe in another 15 years, I will see some more. Kinda like the blue porcy puffers. 8O

Best regards

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh, I've seen a few first hand, and I've by far not seen even half of what you've seen Eric 8O

dizzy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sdcfish":1b8dp8eb said:
The price issue is simply "supply and demand". I just took a chance and said yes, I will pay that price.......and they sold in one day! I guess $1500 was too cheap.

Gem tangs may be expensive due to limited shipping routes. However the same type of supply and demand issues can be artificially created by switching to a mandatory certified fish supply. If a bill similar to the Case Bill were to pass, the price of many, many currently common species could go through the roof. Not necessarily because they are rare or endangered, but only because of the difficulty proving they are not. If you were a certified wholesaler with the entire country to sell to you might survive quite well selling to maintenance companies who service the rich. The average retailer will likely be forced out of business as his average customers will not be able to pay the inflated prices.
Mitch

Tanu

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
marillion":2jiulqss said:
I heard they're sold in Germany for $250.

What's with the $2-4k price tag here in the US? This is on the ones that supposedly came in.

"The Phantom Tangs"

I'll fly to Germany round trip to pick up one for $250.

Peace,

Chip
In German stores, they go for about 500-800 euros, the same goes for The Netherlands. 500-800 equals about 700-1100 USD I guess.

In Europe they are also hard to find, but not as hard as in the US it seems to me.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: