• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

fishinchick

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I've been told a few retail outfits just picked up Gem Tangs from a wholesaler in L.A.

I've been up there several times this last week and I havent seen them.

I heard that they may have been less than legally imported (OMIGOSH not in THIS industry).

If they are legal, I'd love to hear where they are comming from and who's got them. Hopefully someone ethical got them here legally.

Fish_dave

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that two places on 104th have had them recently. The price may make you think that they were smuggled in but I would think that they are legal. There is no reason to not bring them in legally, no restrictions that I am aware of. Generally they come from Maritius and the supplier there told me two months ago that he would be back to shipping soon. These may have come in direct or may have come in from Europe. They are occasionally offered from Hong Kong for a much more reasonable price. Any of those three sources should come in Legally. Why smuggle something that is legal.

Dave

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard they're sold in Germany for $250.

What's with the $2-4k price tag here in the US? This is on the ones that supposedly came in.

"The Phantom Tangs"

I'll fly to Germany round trip to pick up one for $250.

Peace,

Chip

fishinchick

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told they sold for $1500 at the wholesale level.

I realize these guys are rare and stuff but please.

Maybe they were accidentally imported as Scopas tangs and they didnt know what they had :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The price we were quoted was around that as well. No idea if they were legally brought in or not, didn't bother to ask... not at that price anyways. I've seen them online for 4k though. yikes.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fishinchick":1w8otxmg said:
I was told they sold for $1500 at the wholesale level.

I realize these guys are rare and stuff but please.

Maybe they were accidentally imported as Scopas tangs and they didnt know what they had :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fish_dave

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The word I heard today was that they came in from Japan. That would help explain the 1,500.00 wholesale price.

If people are happy to pay 1,500.00 then I guess it makes sense to bring them in from Japan.

Dave

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they can bring in Gem Tangs from Japan, then why not acanthastrea lordhowensis from there?

That doesn't make any sense...

Peace,

Chip

Fish_dave

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acanthastrea would require a cites permit. Gem tangs are not cites app. II animals thus would need no cites permit to export or import. Big difference.

Dave

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish_dave":1f3e1yhq said:
Acanthastrea would require a cites permit. Gem tangs are not cites app. II animals thus would need no cites permit to export or import. Big difference.

Dave

That's my point, tho. Gem tangs are far less l plentiful over there than lords. So why make it illegal to export them? What are they protecting if they're so plentiful? If the entire reef over there is protected, then how do the gem tangs get out?

I hope I'm being clear enough...I just don't get it. :)

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chip, I'm sure where Gems come from, they out number Lords by leaps and bounds. Besides, a fish can make a quicker come back IMO, then a encrusting photosynthetic coral can.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to get a frag of the Lords......I saw on a site 10 polyp/$900.00 or 4.5 polyp/$500.00. 8O

That is definately the money maker.

WayneSallee

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cvp7900":2ykfhc2p said:
I need to get a frag of the Lords......I saw on a site 10 polyp/$900.00 or 4.5 polyp/$500.00. 8O

That is definately the money maker.

You have to look at two things.

1) how fast does that species grow.

2) how much will the price have dropped by the time you have a bunch of frags ready to sell.

Wayne Sallee
Wayne's Pets
[email protected]

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GreshamH":1cvvhmkz said:
Chip, I'm sure where Gems come from, they out number Lords by leaps and bounds. Besides, a fish can make a quicker come back IMO, then a encrusting photosynthetic coral can.

Okay, so I'll counter with...if Gems are so common, then why the $1,500 wholesale price tag?

Y'all annoyed yet? ;)

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a fish that likely be beaten to death by my $20 atlantic blue tang within a week of being in my tank. If the atlantic blue didn't get him, I'll bet the sailfin would.

They are purdy though.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WayneSallee":2o2b8m7h said:
1) how fast does that species grow.

Pretty quickly when you feed them.

WayneSallee":2o2b8m7h said:
2) how much will the price have dropped by the time you have a bunch of frags ready to sell.

Price of Japanese lords 3 years ago = $50-100/polyp

Price of Japanese lords 3 minutes ago = $50-100/polyp

Peace,

Chip

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: