• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GreshamH":35cugorg said:
naesco":35cugorg said:
Why do we have to have a science approach here.

1. Borneman and others feel they are under threat.
2. The species can be aqua-cultured here or at site.
3. Wild species often suffer from disease and there is a high DOA rate.
4. Aqua cultured species survive in hobbyist's tanks.

Simple!!! Stop the import of wild species. End of story.

5. BC AC or wild caught, are tough shippers

Thanks for that, Gresham.

Wayne

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
naesco":17dhg3z3 said:
GreshamH":17dhg3z3 said:
naesco":17dhg3z3 said:
Why do we have to have a science approach here.

1. Borneman and others feel they are under threat.
2. The species can be aqua-cultured here or at site.
3. Wild species often suffer from disease and there is a high DOA rate.
4. Aqua cultured species survive in hobbyist's tanks.

Simple!!! Stop the import of wild species. End of story.

5. BC AC or wild caught, are tough shippers

Thanks for that, Gresham.

Wayne

BTW, thats a totally scientific approach.

Ret_Talbot

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PeterIMA":7w5hy3oe said:
It is not clear to me what LINI has been doing. Your posting (cited with a URL on this forum) makes reference to surveys being conducted by Banggai Fisheries Department. Please clarify what is being done by government agencies in the Banggai Islands and what is being done by LINI.

Peter

Hi, Peter.

Here is the information I have in answer to your question:

LINI will soon conduct a more comprehensive survey and monitor the Banggai population(s) in North Bali.

LINI plans to conduct training for collectors and traders of BCF in Banggai in November 2008, in collaboration with Banggai Fisheries district officials.

LINI and MAC have been actively involved in the development of Banggai Cardinal Fish Management Plan (started in August 2007). Final draft will be discussed in November 2008.

The District government of Banggai Islands designated ‘marine conservation areas’ in the Banggai islands, in November 2007.

The Banggai Fisheries District will further develop and implement the Management Plan which includes marine conservation areas.

LINI will assist the government in implementing the management plan (including, but not limited to, conducting any surveys, trainings etc that will be needed to bring this about).

Some BCF harvest monitoring has been conducted by the Banggai Fisheries district, with the collaboration with the Ministry of Marine Affairs and Fisheries at the National level.

LINI staff will be visiting Banggai and some other places that are along the trade routes out of Banggai to collect more information about the holding facilities of the middlemen, and about the other (released) populations of BCF in other parts of north Sulawesi.

I hope that clarifies, and, as always, I would appreciate any thoughts or comments.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: