A

Anonymous

SeahorseWhisperer_":3s80uwdd said:
I was not actually involved with the "censorship". That was before my time. And, I can understand why what I wrote was "censored". But, as far as not being interested in the drama, I must admit, this is very intriguing. I thought when I was asked by a girlfriend to join MOFIB, I would try to stay out of what had happened before me. I purposefully did not read the old threads to try to figure out what had happened. I just took her word for it. And, it seemed somewhat a waste of time to go back through hours and hours of bs. I thought I could be more useful if I went from where I came in. That was a huge mistake, I realize now. I would have walked away much sooner than I had. Even more, I wish I had taken the time to read this entire thread. I never would have volunteered to help in the first place. You guys really hate a lot of people, and now I get to be the villain of the day. I still wonder who SprackleCat was. But, now I know who Enigma was. I wonder how he came up with that name?

It is no matter to me, but I really think the subject should be dropped now. If anyone were to look back months or years from now, wondering when MOFIB jumped the shark, this thread pops up on top of the google search. They will read between the lines, see the personal attacks and wonder WTF happened. And, even worse, all the people who have been abused by these bullying tactics may hold a grudge. Who knows if they will retaliate against your..... >I will censor myself, but everyone knows so why?<.

I cannot offer advice at all, because you are much more worldly than me when it comes to the virtual fish forum world, but I would wonder if the people who turned on MOFIB may turn on other websites?

All in all, it matters not at this point. MOFIB is dead. Time to move on. The intrigue only lasts as long as this thread does. Delete it or fuel it. And, if it makes you feel better, and less at fault, you can blame me for all of MOFIBS issues, even though you have posted the lists of the people involved many times in the last 2 years, and I was not on them.

Put a fork in it already.

RIP MOFIB

It is amazing that you continue to say things like it is time to move on when you keep not moving on. You ignored all the advice given to you when you started at MOFIB, you were actually quite condescending about it, and now you are trying to play it off like you are the victim. You aren't. And your strawman arguements are so nasty, but I guess they do the job they are supposed to, they make you feel better by convincing yourself that other people "hate" or "abuse" others when they don't. Thats fine, if it helps you sleep better at night go for it.
I look forward to your lack of response since you are so insistent that the subject should be dropped. Though, to be fair, your saying that the drama should be dropped has been your line since you got involved, yet you have continued to stir the pot. If you really want it to stop, stop fueling the discussion yourself.

Ummfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though, to be fair, your saying that the drama should be dropped has been your line since you got involved, yet you have continued to stir the pot.

Not only that, but it seems that Suzy's active refusal to research both her role as a director and the past history of the organization that she was elected to run both played into severe misunderstandings with people who _were_ trying to help the organization. I'd say that the fact that she's now trumpeting the fact that she refused to do her homework serves as ample explanation for many of the comments that she's made to many people in the past, me included.

Then again, she may be entirely correct that she's better off for not having invested the time and effort to get up to speed on the history of the organization. Her efforts there had just about exactly the effect of many others' efforts there and look at how much time she saved by not doing any research.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rook":1pvaifm2 said:
So the mofib website, which at one time was being hijacked by Will and which needed emergancy board approval to take steps to regain control of the website, is now back under Will and apparently Steve's (who orchastrated the overthrow of Will's control) power?

Can't say. I never saw it be hijacked by anyone, but I did see Steve just leave. No idea who is running it now, I assume Amie and Will but that's an assumption. I managed it while I was there after Will fell out with Steve.

And, Jeff and Suzy are running a competing website using the Mofib brand name, without authority?

Nope. First, the MOFIB name isn't trademarked or registered, just the MOFIB domains and MarineBreeder as a corporation. The original new setup in Texas was supposed to be MOFIB International, so Suzy registered the domain to get ready for the move. That "brand" is Suzy's. There's no competition, the MOFIB International site has no forums, just the blogs and info that were proposed for the MOFIB site and blocked by the board at the time. I'd be happy to put the content on MOFIB, but they haven't allowed it.

And, the current intent is to turn all control over the Luis, the orginal coup organizer?

Never heard that Luis instituted a coup. Story I got was Steve taking control, but I'll believe anything. As for intent, ask MOFIB.

Come on - I could not write a more unbelieveable story, and yet here we are.

Don't be so modest, I'm sure you could. :)

Jeff

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checker":2n4bmvfk said:
Board index ‹ MOFIB Community ‹ MOFIB Members ‹ Voting Members
Apparently I'm not a voting member, just a member. Though Amie emailed that my "membership" didn't expire until September. Not sure which membership, MOFIB did have a confusing set of memberships.

Jeff

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slightly off-topic, but why don't any of you post at the MOFIB forums anymore? At least that I can identify, there's not much involvement from past MOFIB members, board members or even critics. As far as I recall, Matt's the only one who was permanently banned.

I also rarely post, but I haven't seen any threads that I felt I should reply to. And darned few new posts anyway. I do still dig through the forums for information though. Really hate to lose that resource.

Jeff

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[email protected]":2havwdel said:
Slightly off-topic, but why don't any of you post at the MOFIB forums anymore? At least that I can identify, there's not much involvement from past MOFIB members, board members or even critics. As far as I recall, Matt's the only one who was permanently banned.

I also rarely post, but I haven't seen any threads that I felt I should reply to. And darned few new posts anyway. I do still dig through the forums for information though. Really hate to lose that resource.

Jeff

Why waste time posting to something that is going to disappear in the very near future. :(

Rook

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The term "MOFIB" does not need to be registered with the feds in order to have intrinsic intellectual property rights. Although, who is left to sue you from MOFIB?

The Luis coup? Really? Did you read the proposed resolution above?

I was placed on read-only at some point for calling out Christian, but to echo snailman why waste time there? Especially with a group so intent on taking personal control over the "assets".

Don't be so modest, I'm sure you could.

Why did you leave Mofib, it seems you should fit in with that group quite well.

Ummfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slightly off-topic, but why don't any of you post at the MOFIB forums anymore?

I posted something that I thought would help the membership at the end of February and was placed on read-only status almost immediately by Will, with dire threats of being perma-banned should I ever post anything publicly of that conversation. I haven't really checked to see if I was ever taken off, but I sure didn't feel very welcome.

Update, I went back over there and it looks like someone deleted the "conversation" that I had with Will and I'm no longer on read-only. I feel so much more welcome now.

But I decided that I needed a break from MOFIB, especially as I was privy to some things that were happening after I resigned and before my access to the behind-the-scenes information had been removed that I did not want to be a part of. And since I no longer held a position where I could do anything about those things, I decided to let the duly elected people deal with it. I was really burnt out. I needed a break.

But you are kidding me, Jeff. Have you never read any of the old posts in the directors-only forum from the days when Matt owned the forum and created the first board of directors: him, John, and Luis? Do any of those old posts still exist in there, or were they deleted after my time?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rook":bsmlvalt said:
I did, but I'm not sure Luis had ever started anything. I can easily be wrong on this, but I didn't get the same indication you did apparently.
Rook":bsmlvalt said:
I didn't. I may have had similar goals, but definitely different opinions of how to accomplish them. I don't do politics well. I also don't seem to play by the rules.

The board decision while I was there was to move the organization and keep building. Now that seems to have changed, despite the work Suzy and I did. I am of the opinion that the corporate location did need to be moved out of Illinois, otherwise corporate donations were not available. I suggested two options, taking MOFIB private (Similar to the current proposal) and moving to Florida. The decision was to move to Texas. My only real disagreement with that move was the cost, Florida could have been done cheaply.

Now the current trend seems to be taking MOFIB private. Why Luis was suggested I'm not totally sure. He had taken over the moderators but had no other ties or reasoning I could see. Both Amie and I had offered as well. Maybe it was a coup.

I don't know who's in charge, and I'm not sure they have chosen the correct options, but something has to be done. I realize that the value of MOFIB has pretty much hit bottom, but there is still a lot of historical data in the forum posts that would be a shame to lose access to.

So, where do the ex-MOFIB people gather? Reefs.org has very little activity outside of this type of thread. MBI hasn't really developed in a way that I fit into, though the information is valuable. In the freshwater world there are plenty of dedicated breeding sites for specific species, not so much in the marine world. Reef Central is popular, but too broad and way too duplicated. I think I'm looking for a new home...

Jeff

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummfish":3sljb033 said:
Have you never read any of the old posts in the directors-only forum from the days when Matt owned the forum and created the first board of directors: him, John, and Luis? Do any of those old posts still exist in there, or were they deleted after my time?
I either missed them or they weren't there. I went back a few years in the posts to see what had been historically happening and came to the conclusion that the history was fighting between directors. I didn't learn from history very well.

What MOFIB really needs is a totally new set of management. I thought we were getting that with Suzy and I, but we were only a third of the directors. I'm actually sorry I saw the back side of the organization, when I first joined it seemed to work well.

Jeff

bookfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[email protected]":1soyvleo said:
Rook":1soyvleo said:
I did, but I'm not sure Luis had ever started anything. I can easily be wrong on this, but I didn't get the same indication you did apparently.
Rook":1soyvleo said:
I didn't. I may have had similar goals, but definitely different opinions of how to accomplish them. I don't do politics well. I also don't seem to play by the rules.

The board decision while I was there was to move the organization and keep building. Now that seems to have changed, despite the work Suzy and I did. I am of the opinion that the corporate location did need to be moved out of Illinois, otherwise corporate donations were not available. I suggested two options, taking MOFIB private (Similar to the current proposal) and moving to Florida. The decision was to move to Texas. My only real disagreement with that move was the cost, Florida could have been done cheaply.

Now the current trend seems to be taking MOFIB private. Why Luis was suggested I'm not totally sure. He had taken over the moderators but had no other ties or reasoning I could see. Both Amie and I had offered as well. Maybe it was a coup.

I don't know who's in charge, and I'm not sure they have chosen the correct options, but something has to be done. I realize that the value of MOFIB has pretty much hit bottom, but there is still a lot of historical data in the forum posts that would be a shame to lose access to.

So, where do the ex-MOFIB people gather? Reefs.org has very little activity outside of this type of thread. MBI hasn't really developed in a way that I fit into, though the information is valuable. In the freshwater world there are plenty of dedicated breeding sites for specific species, not so much in the marine world. Reef Central is popular, but too broad and way too duplicated. I think I'm looking for a new home...

Jeff
I admit I hang out in the MBI chat room a lot. Maybe too much?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you ever actually log out of it, Bookfish? :lol:

Seems if I am looking for you, I can pop in and find you there :D

mpedersen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[email protected]":30kwefpm said:

I was not "permenantly banned" Jeff, my account was unilaterally deleted by Stephen Kennedy, and no one saw fit to bring appropriate repercussions to him for his abuse of the power he had. This has been going on for years now; there is a culture of abuse by the leadership towards the members, particularly any who disagree.

More in my next post...

mpedersen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...here's the latest. MOFIB failed to hold it's elections this year (big surprise). While I have not followed it as closely as some others, I've been informed that legally, at the moment, there basically isn't a board (only one member's term hasn't yet expired, and most BOD members have absconded their responsibilities or flat out resigned earlier on)

In this latest move, SOMEONE has utilized MOFIB's mailing list to email the scant few members that still remain to ask them to vote on a proposal to give the MOFIB website to Luis Magnasco. This is actually against the bylaws and the law, and isn't being done in the appropriate manner as the only way MOFIB's assets can be divested is to another non-profit (and no, that doesn't mean they can form a new corporation and then pass on the assets to that new corporation, basically embezzling the assets). Thus, the only likely valid recipients of MOFIB's assets (domains, website, money) would be a non-profit like the MBI, MACNA, The Breeder's Registry etc. But members are being asked to give the site to a private individual, not to mention the same individual who was instrumental in helping remove the founder from the organization (I believe illegally) in the first place.

Here is the email that's was sent to MOFIB members for a "Vote"; the voting period has already ended (this email was sent out on the 18th).

One more day for the voting process. If you have not had the opportunity to vote yet, please take the time in the next 34 hours to vote. Thank you. Here is the original message: After careful consideration, the Board of Directors has unanimously chosen Luis Magnasco as the Trustee/Steward in charge of the Message Board and have voted to present this decision to the voting members of MOFIB for approval. Under this new direction, there will not be Board of Directors, but the site will function strictly as an internet site, with moderators to insure that posts are answered and remain on topic. Please select the link below to be taken to ballotbin and select either Yes or No to the following question: Do you accept Luis' Magnasco as the new Trustee/Steward of the Message Board? Once your vote has been placed, you will be able to see the current voting status. The vote begins immediately and will last until midnight Sunday, EST, or until a majority vote has been cast. At which time, a new vote may be in order, based on the direction that the voting takes. You will be updated immediately, please follow the message board for details.

Here's a big question - what happened to all the MOFIB MONEY? At one point there was a sizable chunk of change in MOFIB accounts - did it just vanish? The email above proposes to give the website to a private individual apparently...but what about the MONEY? Geeze...someone needs to hold folks accountable...I'd almost welcome the State of Illinois getting involved and just seizing everything at this point because this is beyond mismanaged. Of course, a search of the corporate records in IL has, for some time, shown that MOFIB is not in good standing with the state either.

Amazing how a bunch of people can get together to destroy something founded out of "freedom and equality" in the name of personal greed and their desire for dominion over their peers.

mpedersen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And so it goes...a friend who still has "member" access at MOFIB passed along that the vote has come to pass with the following results:

MOFIB Vote to make Luis the trustee of MB

Do you accept Luis Magnasco as the new Trustee/Steward of the Message Board?

Yes = 22 votes = 91%

No = 2 = 8%

And so it goes, apparently an unknown board of questionable validity that has failed to hold its elections has now obtained a mandate from a questionable set of members to potentially violate MOFIBs bylaws (granted, given the history, they will simply change the bylaws if necessary) and more importantly, potentially violated state law, in divesting its most valuable assets to a PRIVATE individual rather than another organization.

And once again, what happened to all of MOFIB's monetary assets? The board gives the website to Luis. What about the money?

I am not surprised that Luis Magnasco may be OK with this, as he generally failed to understand the basic concept of the legal papers he signed in the first place when he came on board as one of the initial board members I selected, constantly bemoaning years ago that MOFIB was "just a website". Well guess what, as far as you're concerned Luis, bravo. That's all it is now.

I must apologize as it was my mistake to think that Luis would understand that when he signed the papers that helped incorporate MOFIB, MOFIB became a not-for-profit legal entity / business. It had obligations and responsibilities and a framework of rules; it ceased being my benevolent dictatorship. It's just mind blowing that I worked my butt off to make MOFIB happen, and then people got greedy, broke rules, and fought over power fo the next 4 years, which fundamentally destroyed the community and lost sight of the whole reason it was started in the first place. And now, when its at its end, it's given to an ex board member who doesn't even know how to run a website. Nevermind that the 22 people who voted yes failed to understand that by doing so, they were voting to give up their rights to vote, and the concept of what the membership they paid for constituted. I can't believe that 22 people voted in for a dictatorship (but seeing the failure of the leadership from the day the organization was hijacked out from underneath me, I can understand how any change would be a welcome one).

If Luis is smart, he will seek to find a not-for-profit or non-profit organization willing to overtake the stewardship responsibilities that have been thrust upon him, basically righting the wrong of what the board has done. I'm not sure what legal ramifications exist for taking possession of assets that, in my loose legal understanding, can't be divested to a private person. Then again, maybe the vote of the members has the power to override that. And in the end, who cares, because who is going to take the time to a) report this to the state of Illinois and b) does anyone think that the state of Illinois will be interested in anything other than the TAXES that MOFIB owes to it (and has NEVER filed or paid?). So yes, because MOFIB is such small potatoes, the "leadership" can probably get away with whatever they want here.

Luis, if you ever read this, bravo. You got your wish. MOFIB is now just a website again, and hey, congratulations, now it's your tiny kingdom to run as you see fit apparently.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah I was listed as a member in good stand AKA eligible to vote, yet my access to the voting forum was revoked when I questioned just how legal it was that they wanted to do.

Ummfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lovely. Sigh. Did they at least let you vote? Because that would be one more thing they've done that's against the law. By the way, do you know who is supposed to be on the board at this point?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, no chance to vote. I started a thread asking why I had no access a couple months ago, BOD chimed in with other stuff but zero answers on why. It seemed rather obvious they did not know that, let alone what else was going on.

Ummfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, whatever BOD was left was no longer actually in control of the board? That actually seems to mesh with an experience I had with them a few months ago. In fact, it was fears of that very issue that were behind us switching servers several years ago when the guy doing the day-to-day admin got angry and stopped complying with guidelines from the BOD. I wonder if they had a coup back there where no one could see it? It wouldn't surprise me given how they stopped interacting with their members on very basic issues (like bookkeeping and meeting minutes).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: