jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Pseudo Boy said:
Blah Blah Blah I was looking at the AP702. How good is it if you like the GSM better ? FOr $1700 bucks it better kick some ass.

Kasei

for $1700 it better do more than kick ass :scratchch

what's up with Deltec pricing? :headache:

do they use 3/8" tubing or what?

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Heres me ASM G3 this is the second cup of skimmate since I got it this weekend, the first one was the "test". This cup was to my liking. Here are some pics. Got this in about 2 days of skimming. Its running with a Sedra 5000 with recirc mod. The feed pump is only about 130gph and the sedras the recirc pump.

Pro: Good skimmer for the money, nice skimmate, tuning isnt that hard
Cons: Uniseals suck, can only be used in sump

000_4271.jpg

And another
000_4277.jpg

-Kris

gforce6

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Nice Skimming Kris, you got yourself a good investment.

Couple question for you Kris,
How big is your skimmer foot print?
Is 130GPH feeding to your skimmer recommanded by ASM?
Dose that ball valve give you accuate water level in your skimmer?
Dose unseal leak any water from skimmer?

Last edited:

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Here is a picture of my Barr Aquatic SK4220
barr4220.JPG

pros - great skimming power, air flow gage, quick disconnect banjo fittings, awesome craftsmanship.
cons - very finicky and requires lots of fine tuning with the gate valve after any changes in the tank, need a huge pressure pump to run this beast.

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
as you all know, i run a skimmerless system (rich is gonna delete my post - he he)

so my skimmer is essentially the surface of my sump - the "oil slick" collects there. i simply scoop it out every few days by having it overflow into a cup.

the advantage is that my plankton enjoys its life in my system and i barely feed my tank at all (probably would never need to, but i feel like i should). it almost runs like a self-sustaining ecosystem.

In any event, as with everything else in this hobby, i always keep my eyes open for new things to spend money on, among those MIGHT be a skimmer. If i do get a skimmer, i would want a high quality one that is small, simple, and plug-and-play. The two choice i present myself with is the Deltec Turbo 1250 or the new Tunze DOC 9015 (waiting to see reviews on it). The advantage would be the end of the manual surface skim which would be replaced with simply emptying the collection cup, the disadvantage would be that i will have another piece of equipment to maintain and i would lose out on all my plankton being skimmed out. my sump is essentially my refugium, so the skimmer would skim the life out of it.

so i am still on the fence for now.

Rich, if i do end up getting one of those skimmers, I will post a pic on this thread as i owe you one.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
gforce6 said:
Nice Skimming Kris, you got yourself a good investment.

Couple question for you Kris,
How big is your skimmer foot print?
Is 130GPH feeding to your skimmer recommanded by ASM?
Dose that ball valve give you accuate water level in your skimmer?
Dose unseal leak any water from skimmer?

Thanks Jung. It was about time I took the skimming part of the setup serious.

The footprint right now is about 13.5inchs x 9.5 inches.
They reccomend something in the range between 100-200gph.
The ball valve I got is actually working out pretty good, but if Frank can get his hands on the gate valves I'd change over.
The uniseals do leak out water, but that part of my skimmer is underwater so you can't tell. It's not a lot I just see bubbles come out of it every now and then.

-Kris

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Kris the skimmer looks like it's doing a great job!

Pierce what pump is feeding that monster skimmer?

Albert, once you skim you'll never go back to not skimming ;) looking forward to your pic.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I really want to see some smaller skimmers in action. It's a great point of reference for people running seaclones on a 100g tank with 5 tangs and wonder why they have a nitrate problem ;)

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
uhm this is my remora in action with a mag 3 i empty about 2 cups a day at this color? this is right after i cleaned it
DSC04446.JPG

this skimmer lowered the amount of Co2 in my tank way down, the reason why i know that is my PH went down because my kalkwasser top off isnt forming HCO3- bi carbonate to much now, it keeps your PH stable as well as link your Po4 change to it.

nitrate lowered alot and SPS are starting to color up right after it, im a firm believer of rich's method

once your water is unsaturated with protein and phospholipids, your water has alot more room to saturate dissolved oxygen, because these molecule, co2 and salt itself taking up alot of dissolved oxygen, our tank at 35ppt only saturates at like 5-6PPM of dissolved oxygen, thus a huge limit to livestock.

Last edited:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
spykes said:
once your water is unsaturated with protein and phospholipids, your water has alot more room to saturate dissolved oxygen, because these molecule, co2 and salt itself taking up alot of dissolved oxygen, our tank at 35ppt only saturates at like 5-6PPM of dissolved oxygen, thus a huge limit to livestock.

I have an O2 test kit, my water is always at 100% capacity when I test it.

I guess my skimmers doing a good job then. reef devil. pics to come.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
my reef devil.

it collects a half cup every two day's the stuff it pulls out is very thick and dark.
it works best when it's neck is kept clean. if I don't clean it, it continues to work, but the crap is left stuck to the neck in a nice thick layer of dark green sludge, yummy.

reefdevil.jpg

the reef devil is a downdraft skimmer rated for a 120 gallon tank, it's a bit underpowered for my tank. there are bio-balls in the black intake tube which chop up the bubbles being sent in along with the water.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: