• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Vic8361

Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Hey im thinking of getting a 6 bulb t5 powermodule with all ati bulbs.

Is this too much for lps and softies. Only sps i have is monti caps and 2 frags i got for free of other things.

I dont want to bleach or kill any of the softies. Thanks.

My tank is a 40breeder. Think its 36x18x16high
I ran this tank with only six T5 bulbs.
ssc_1156.jpg

I think it would work out good for you.
Vic

FlyTekk

KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Rating - 98.6%
139   2   0
Lost my last tank same way. Wow if you have 6 bulbs on a 24" high tank im wondering whats going to happen to my 16" high with 6 bulbs. They say the ati fixture puts out much more light than other fixtures too. I may have to place them really high?

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Hey dude,

You are A okay with a 6 bulb t5. If you are really scared of burning certain corals start low and bring them up higher. Yes T5's do have advantages in terms of color rendition and on the fly swapping bulbs as mentioned in previous posts. It's all a balance of aesthetics and growth in some ways.

AI LEDs are very good lights and proven. Radions are great as well but the consensus of reviews show that the light has some spectrums that are useless. You are essentially paying for the look and tech with your pumps.

I am sure you are already aware of certain downsides with T5's namely cost of bulb replacement, heat (this was big for me), and power usage.

Vic8361

Rating - 100%
142   0   0
The choices are 4 bulbs and 2 bulbs. So i 2 bulbs were gonna be blue for 10 hours. Than the 4 bulbs

Aqua special blue
purple
Blue
Blue

were gonna be one for 6 hours.
I would just run the 4 bulbs then run the extra two for three hrs a day for your sps.
I couldn't keep a lot of my zoos high in the tank they wouldn't open all the way.
I needed to keep them lower and shaded for them to thrive.

whats up big vic...that tank was amazing...bro i remmember being stuck infront of it drooling....lol

I'll be back some day.
Vic

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
I am now using ai led units and honestly I was more pleased with colors of my mh t5 system. My tank is 65 gallon and 24 inches tall. I was running an outer orbit pro 2x150 watt metal halide with 4 ati blue plus. Now I have the AI LEDs the colors are not as good with my MH system. If I turn the blues up I can get some unreal Colors but the Coral is simply unnatural looking

Last edited:

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
I used to also run ati sun power 6 bulb on 15 inch tank and it was not a problem for softies and most lps. They can be acclimated to higher light. I was not really able to keep any chalices though. Just have some places for corals that would be need to be shaded. Also of you stay closer to blue spectrum with bluer bulbs you will have no worries

akma

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
That aquablue is really white. I like a slightly bluer tank. I would do 4 blue plus and 2 purple. My friend has the aquablue in his 6bulb fixture buts hes planning to change Out the aquablue to a purple plus tp make it 4 blue and 2 purple

The choices are 4 bulbs and 2 bulbs. So i 2 bulbs were gonna be blue for 10 hours. Than the 4 bulbs

Aqua special blue
purple
Blue
Blue

were gonna be one for 6 hours.

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I am now using ai led units and honestly I was more pleased with colors of my mh t5 system. My tank is 65 gallon and 24 inches tall. I was running an outer orbit pro 2x150 watt metal halide with 4 ati blue plus. Now I have the AI LEDs the colors are not as good with my MH system. If I turn the blues up I can get some unreal Colors but the Coral is simply unnatural looking

That was the perfect fixture. Mh/t5 combo. Add a Reefbrite to it and u have the best if all 3.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I have 2 Aqua Blue's with 3 Blu+'s and a Purple+ in my 6 bulb fixture. Definitely too white.
The new ATI Coral plus bulb sounds interesting. I ordered 4 Blue+, 1 Purple+ and a Coral+ to replace them. Hopefully it will look better.

FlyTekk

KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Rating - 98.6%
139   2   0
Im thinking of going 2 purple and 4 blue like you say and forgo the aqua special. But then i said tomyself what ever happened to the actinics? I hear they are less par. Maybe thats a good thing for me since im a lil worried about paring my corals to death?

How bout 2 actinics, 2 blue+ and 2 purple?

FlyTekk

KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Rating - 98.6%
139   2   0
Okay so i got the purple plus. It is white. It looks pink when its on but it whitens up the tank. I like it alot! Have one purple plus with 3 blue plus and its awesome. Finally! My clowns look deep orange/red where as with LEds they were light orange/orangeyellow. Corals popping! NOw what to do with other 2 bulbs. Im thinking another purple plus and an actinic so not to use anymore par intensive bulbs.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: