• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I won this little tank at our last frag swap and finally got around to taking it out of the box and setting it up a few weeks ago.
I also won the Marco rock that is in it...lol... well a small part of the rock I won anyway. The rock had been cycling for a long while, but by the time I finally got it to look the way I wanted, I'd managed to undo all of the benefits of pre-cycling the rock.

The sand is new and was seeded with 1/2 cup of sand from my 120g tank. I plan to use the stock filter that came with the tank although I switched out the ceramic media insert and added carbon there instead. If necessary in the future I will put 1/2 carbon and 1/2 GFO in there. The plan is to maintain the tank strictly through water changes and a low bio-load (like I have a choice with a 6g tank..lol). There is a heater hidden behind the rocks and I may add a nano Koralia after I see what the flow is like with the corals added.

The tank be monitored by an ACJr controller. The room has A/C to benefit all of the tanks (and me :)) in the warmer months.

The stock light is still on there and will probably support low level coral, though at some point I will likely get something stronger - or at least with some blue in it - from Wingo. I'm not looking to go as far as a Par38 bulb as i think it would destroy the simple look I am going for.

All of the corals will come from my other tanks and the original plan was to do the tank with all pink corals, but I have a few others that I'd like to use in there. The mix will be mostly zoas, mushrooms and a small leather or 2 and a piece of my purple sponge.

I am really on the fence about livestock...I currently have 2 Percs that I would like to put into this tank. They are about a year old and only 1 1/2" long. Currently they reside in a 50G Tenecor AIO tank BUT they live in a tiny corner of the tank (there are 2 pair of percs in there, each living at opposite ends of the tank). The tank has 2 narrow 'alleys' at either end that are 1" wide X 6" long x 18 inches tall..and they only ever come to the very edge of their 'alley' to eat, so a 6G tank may seem like a mini ocean all their own.
I really want to take the 50g tank down but can't incorporate these fish into my other tanks as they both have clowns in them already..and I've had them since they were tiny, so I'd like to keep them.

Does anyone have a pair of percs in a tank this small that have thrived? I know 20G is suggested.

Here is a pic of what she looks like so far:
(oh, the media bag had shrimp in it to restart the cycle, it has since been removed)

IMG_9773.jpg

Thanks for looking!

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
What are you thinking about keeping?

I am really on the fence about livestock...I currently have 2 Percs that I would like to put into this tank. They are about a year old and only 1 1/2" long. Currently they reside in a 50G Tenecor AIO tank BUT they live in a tiny corner of the tank (there are 2 pair of percs in there, each living at opposite ends of the tank). The tank has 2 narrow 'alleys' at either end that are 1" wide X 6" long x 18 inches tall..and they only ever come to the very edge of their 'alley' to eat, so a 6G tank may seem like a mini ocean all their own.
I really want to take the 50g tank down but can't incorporate these fish into my other tanks as they both have clowns in them already..and I've had them since they were tiny, so I'd like to keep them.

:)

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Hey Kathy of you thought of turning your 6G tank into a Zoa only thank? with a pistol shrimp and goby?

No, would rather have some diversity in there with different sizes/types of corals.

Pistol Shrimp/goby pairs aren't my thing and the 3/4" sand bed wouldn't support what they need to be happy.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Kathy,

I actually think PAR 38 look very good with a 6G tank with a light dome and bracket.

I have setup up one demo with a Fluval EPI(~6G also). I will be showing it at Nerac and I know you will be there. LOL

Here is the light bracket and dome I am talking about.
http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/light_bracket.php

Does the tank has a glass cover? If so consider couple cleaner gobies. They like to hang around the top edge if you have a nozzle or magnet to provide a launch site on fish passing by.

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Are there any clownfish police here? If so I don't wanna implicate myself. LOL.

I have some juveniles in a 4-5G so I cannot say for sure in the future. They are from a bigger system because other fish are chasing them They are doing very good in the small tank. In fact, they are doing better in the small tank than in the larger system due to stress caused by other fish.

I also have couple LARGE adults that grown from babies over about 2 years in my fuge. They grow MUCH BIGGER than the same batch in the display tank.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Kathy,

I actually think PAR 38 look very good with a 6G tank with a light dome and bracket.

I have setup up one demo with a Fluval EPI(~6G also). I will be showing it at Nerac and I know you will be there. LOL

Here is the light bracket and dome I am talking about.
http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/light_bracket.php

Does the tank has a glass cover? If so consider couple cleaner gobies. They like to hang around the top edge if you have a nozzle or magnet to provide a launch site on fish passing by.

Yes, I will be at Nerac Wingo and will take a look at your suggestion. Is that the same bracket you told me about when I last saw you?

Send me a PM with pricing info please..and let me know if you have the whole bulb thing for it too :)

Yes, it has a glass cover, but I'm not going to use it. If I put anything on there it will be a small mesh cover. Would like to keep my little clown pair in there and have heard from a few well respected folks who have think I should give them a try in there.

Cute Tank!!! Have Fun Filling It!!!!!

Thanks Kim, you know I will :) :hug:

ruha456

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I've had them in there two months and since I have only the gbta, clowns, yellow watchmen, sexy shrimp, clean up crew and a Pom Pom crab I'm only using a marineland led I picked up at petco. So far so good. And since I'm not keeping corals I think that's suffice.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: