• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
great little tank you got there buddy...
Thanks dude.:smile:

Powerbrites were a nice addition. However, I am in love with it set up as a planted tank.
I loved the planted set up but after having a lot of planted tanks here at home (had at most 4 planted set up at the same time), I just decided it's time for a bit of a change and try reefing out.
Plus the wife wanted me to get rid of most the tanks and just keep 1. Good that she let me keep 2.
1 planted and 1 reef, that's why I had to convert the edge.
Which by the way she appreciates more than the planted. So I can't argue with that. Gotta keep her happy.:p

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Just photo update of the tank.:biggrin:

Tank's Left Half------------------------------------- Tanks Right Half
P1080453.jpg
----------
P1080456.jpg

Some Random shots

P1080458.jpg

P1080467.jpg

P1080461.jpg

P1080471.jpg

P1080453.jpg
-----------
P1080469.jpg

I'm thinking of getting a couple of Ricordea Florida's and Possibly an Acan for the tank floor when I get rid of the GSP and Xenia frags.

Last edited:

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Hey friend! How's the tank going? Any updated FTS? I'm upgrading lighting to diy chinese leds...just waiting for the parts to get here. Sorry I haven't had a chance to get back to you...been really busy...if you still have frags for sale let me know and I could buy them from you this Saturday for sure...text me if you're available.

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Hey It's been a while my friend.:)
Haven't gotten to taking pics of the tank yet as the past weeks were busy preparing for the coming of the little one.
Most picture taking were of my wife as her pregnancy progresses. I never did expect that she will be all for having snapshots of her taken at different scenes and settings.:lol2:
Got some new acan frags and getting rid of some frags too so you're welcome to stop by saturday.

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Hey It's been a while my friend.:)
Haven't gotten to taking pics of the tank yet as the past weeks were busy preparing for the coming of the little one.
Most picture taking were of my wife as her pregnancy progresses. I never did expect that she will be all for having snapshots of her taken at different scenes and settings.:lol2:
Got some new acan frags and getting rid of some frags too so you're welcome to stop by saturday.

Understandable! You all are going to be great parents! :) She's due sometime in October, right? Can't wait to see the tank!

Sent from my PC36100 using Reefs

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Hey buddy? How's the tank and wife doing? Hope all are well! Thought about you yesterday when I noticed someone with an Edge, stand and all kinds of extra's on craigslist for $80 almost got it but someone beat me to it. :( Also, upset with you for ever telling me about Manhattan Aquariums...lol...why did you do that to my wallet? lol I am in love with that place...came home with 5 frags...bought my first acro since you suggested it. I sooo need more reefing friends local so we could all get together for reef talk.

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Hey everything's going well. The tank have been on the bottom of the priority list for now and the wife put on 1st.
Looks like a few more weeks before the little one comes out.
Sorry for getting you in trouble in MA.:lol: Lots of nice frags in their racks. Haven't been there for a long, long time already.
Looks like your tanks are doing good. I love the lights that you did. I see the acan really looks great in it.
The upgrade bug has been around the corner but no can do.:headache:
The wife will definitely kick me out if I do anything new with the tanks right now.

The edge is a nice little tank but really a headache trying to maintain the aesthetics while trying to upgrade it to be a home to corals.
I'm thinking of going with a Mr Aqua or ADA 12 gallon long in the future instead of the edge.

Last edited:

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Hey everything's going well. The tank have been on the bottom of the priority list for now and the wife put on 1st.
Looks like a few more weeks before the little one comes out.
Sorry for getting you in trouble in MA.:lol: Lots of nice frags in their racks. Haven't been there for a long, long time already.
Looks like your tanks are doing good. I love the lights that you did. I see the acan really looks great in it.
The upgrade bug has been around the corner but no can do.:headache:
The wife will definitely kick me out if I do anything new with the tanks right now.

The edge is a nice little tank but really a headache trying to maintain the aesthetics while trying to upgrade it to be a home to corals.
I'm thinking of going with a Mr Aqua or ADA 12 gallon long in the future instead of the edge.

I'm excited for you guys...better post pics once she's here! Priorities are understandable...you have them in the right place...you're gonna be a great dad. I start school again on Thursday...so unfortunately reefing will have to be lower on the priority list...as my school/work/kid's/tanks/dog/cat schedule is insane. Thanks for the compliment...I constantly stare at this tank even more so than before!

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
I'm excited for you guys...better post pics once she's here! Priorities are understandable...you have them in the right place...you're gonna be a great dad. I start school again on Thursday...so unfortunately reefing will have to be lower on the priority list...as my school/work/kid's/tanks/dog/cat schedule is insane. Thanks for the compliment...I constantly stare at this tank even more so than before!
She Finally was here my friend.:party:
Well that was a little over a month ago. Now I'm a proud daddy not only of my tanks inhabitants but our new daughter as well.:approve:

Really nice Tank!!
I am in the midst of setting up an edge. Little worried now about maintenance but still looking forward to having some corals and possibly one fish in there.
Hope it looks as good as yours.

Initially it seems daunting but once you get the hang of it, Maintainance will be a breeze.
You really have to be patient with the edge as it really has its quirks but it is one loveabe tank.

Here are some shots on the new lights I have on the edge.
Its an odyssea 24w pc fixture attached to the old acrylic arm where the powerbrites used to be.
The powerbrites were OK but the tanks stock was only surviving and not thriving so I decided to do the change.
The wife actually raised her eyebrows when I received the package containing the fixture but when she saw the fixture installed already over the tank she immediately said the tank looks better than when it had the powerbrites.:sigh:
P1100232.jpg

P1100226.jpg

P1100227.jpg

P1100230.jpg

P1100231.jpg

Last edited:

Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
First off...congrats on the new member of the family.
Second..your tank looks amazing!! Does the arm you added move up so you can access the opening?
Btw, Thanks for the advice and motivation to keep my fluval edged going.
For my edge I went with MR 16 replacement leds and I made a custom fixture with blue and white sme leds..

Looks great so far. Can't wait to add some corals and fish
:wink1:

Last edited:

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
I actually wanted a moveable arm but I wasn't able to find a good acrylic hinge(didn't wanna spend too much for it) so the whole arm is to be lifted off during cleaning.
It is actually attached to the black acrylic bracing the edge lip opening.
It acts in a similar way as the stock hood.

Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Dude, your tank amazes me. All I have in mine right now is 1 clown fish. No corals yet.
I do have a couple questions:

1. Do you have added heat from that Odyssey fixture?
2. Are those corals hard to maintain? I have no idea where to start with corals. I only have my lights on for about 4 hours right now. I supposed that is OK for 1 fish.
3. How long has your tank been setup? Mine has been running for about 1 month and I already have 1 fish. I am not sure if I am moving too fast but I would love to add some more life to the tank

Thanks for any advice!

Edge

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: