• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Thanks edge.
Now for your questions

1. Do you have added heat from that Odyssey fixture?
Probabaly a degree or two but not too much. My temps are usually at 78F.

2. Are those corals hard to maintain? I have no idea where to start with corals. I only have my lights on for about 4 hours right now. I supposed that is OK for 1 fish.
The corals I have are somewhat easy to maintain. I started off with some zoas and palys. I dose seachem fusion 2 part to keep up with the demands of the corals.

3. How long has your tank been setup? Mine has been running for about 1 month and I already have 1 fish. I am not sure if I am moving too fast but I would love to add some more life to the tank
I had it set up since January this year. I cycled the tank (fishless) with live rock, live sand for about a month. Added clean up crew, then a few starter frags and lastly the fishes.
Patience is key here as nothing comes up right when rushing thngs in reefing.

Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Thanks for your quick responses. Your information was very helpful.

I will leave my tank as is and let it continue maturing for another month or so before I attempt any corals. The tank is already so small and require a lot of monitoring so I don't want to mess it up in its' infancy stages.

I will definitely seek advice on this forum..

Edge

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Some new stuff in tank.
Torch coral
P1100452.jpg

P1100433.jpg

Tequila Sunsrise
P1100449.jpg

P1100441.jpg

Pinoy Valentine
P1100450.jpg

Pink and Gold Paly
P1100442.jpg

Not so new stuff
Acan
P1100445.jpg

P1100446.jpg

Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Great additions..beautiful setup!!!
I am thinking of making a trip to MA tomorrow to look at the corals..I still have the one clownfish..I actually had to leave the country for a few days for an emergency and was expecting the worse when I came back.
To my surprise the fish survived 5 days with no food and water barely evaporated..

Tank is operating well. Doing first water.change tomorrow..wish me luck..

Edge

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Hey edge how was the trip at MA? Haven't been there for quite a long long time already.
How did theis your tank doing now? Hope all's well. Patience is key to this little tank.

So I got a green chromis and a couple of sexy shrimps from nanoaquatic yesterday.
I'll be posting these new inhabitants in the tank when I get the chance to snap some photos of them.

Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Hi Jeff,

I actually did not make it to MA yet. Tank is doing great so far. Water parameters seem stable and my clean up crew and clownfish are doing great.

I am going to check out Kissena Aquariums in queens tomorrow. I may buy some small frags for the tank. Zoas, mushrooms and xenias were recommended for the Edge.
I will also take your advice on dosing with seachem..Do you feed your corals anything? I was reading about spot feeding corals but I guess that depends on what corals you have.

So much to learn but so far, I think I am off to a great start.

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
So I was about to check and snap some pics of the new green chromis and sexy shrimps in the tank that I got from Ryan of nanoaquatic. As I was looking for it, i saw it upside down on the sandbed.
It was a bit inactive even before and after my more than an hour drip acclimation before transfer into the tank last night.
I thought it was just a bit shy being new to the tank as it was not swimming about when introduced.
The sexy shrimps are a bit hard to locate as they seem to have found the torch coral in one of my tank corner.
Bummer as I was excited with the chromis and the nice color it adds to my tank.

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
@edge2011 - I do drip acclimation on fishes and inverts but I am guilty of not doing so for corals. I just let temps equilibriate but no drip methods for corals.

@MVS - Thanks for the frogspawn colony. I had the bigger colony still intact and waiting for it to open up. The smaller pieces I fragged. I used my dremel to cut the dead heads off and ended up with 3 1 head frags.

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Since you asked, here are pics of the purple tip frogspawn colony.:biggrin:

P1100652.jpg

Side shot
P1100656.jpg

My clownfishes immediately expanded their home.
I cut off a couple of small heads from this colony. Let me know if you need some purple tip frogspawn edge2011 for your tank.

Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
WOW! Just when I thought your tank could not get any better. :)

I picked up some zoas, a torch coral and a small ricordea over the weekend.

Would love to add frogspawn. Is it safe to add since I just added some corals over the weekend? I know, with fish, you have to give it time before you add more.

Can you PM me price and location?

Edge.

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Just an update on the full tank shot of the edge
P1100678.jpg

A little more closer.
P1100679.jpg

One of my acans seem to have shriveled up for an unknown reason as my other acans and an acan head of a different color morph in the same rock are doing well.

My GSP also hasn't opened up fully eversince I had the PC light installed but I see a few open up but not fully in the last few days.

Some red slime is appearing on the sand and some rocks so I cut back the light to 7 hours and already plopped in a new bag of chemipure elite in the filter. Hope this fixes everything up.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: