• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Not really reef related, but I came home last night to find my cat, Mr. Bigglesworth, asleep in my 30g reef build's empty future sump...laid on his back paws in the air...mouth hanging open looking dead. I don't think I ever laughed so hard in my life. This cat doesn't have normal cat tendencies...I swear. I rescued him almost 5 years ago when he was small enough to fit in the palm of my hand and my pitbull was about 12 weeks old. They instantly became attached at the hip...odd I know. This cat doesn't drink out of cat sized water/food bowls...he drinks at the dogs water bucket by standing on his hind legs...front paws laying on the rim of the bucket. Also eats dry food out of a dog sized food bowl...won't touch anything in the cutesy cat sized bowls. When he gets a wild hair up his furry butt...he jumps on the dog, bites his ears, tail or legs to initiate playtime. Not really a cat person...more of a dog lover...but this cat won my heart from day one and continues doing so with his antics on a regular basis. Here is a few pics of my fur children...enjoy...:biggrin: :pimp:

Attachments

• biggs5.jpg
    biggs5.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 228
  • bigboy&biggs.jpg
    bigboy&biggs.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 223
  • bigboy1.jpg
    bigboy1.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 225
  • bigboy2.jpg
    bigboy2.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 227
  • biggs4.jpg
    biggs4.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 225
  • Biggs3.jpg
    Biggs3.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 229

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
TANK SPRUNG A LEAK IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT LAST NIGHT

So the tank itself sprung a leak somehow in the middle of the night...couldn't find where it was coming from...ran out to get a new 5.5g tank this morning and transferred everything over...hopefully I don't get an ammonia spike or mini-cycle. In regards to the old tank...it's only like 9 months old...there's no cracks in the glass...so I still don't know where it was coming from. Had to transfer everything...half-a$$ mix new saltwater and rush out of the house to work...was 2 hours late to work but the reef comes first...lmao...praying to the reefing God's that everything survives...pom pom xenia looked like crap...severely shriveled up this morning. On top of that...I grabbed a bag of chemi-pure elite, fresh carbon, 2 bags of purigen (1 in the h.o.b. & 1 in the fuge., and lots of filter floss shoved into a spare fluval 204 canister filter to clear the water asap. Yes...the filtration is nuts on this tank...but I don't want to lose anything...

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Never found out where exactly the leak was coming from! So I may have replaced the tank for no reason. I refilled the old tank on the floor and it never leaked. I'm guessing the leak may have come from the old flex tubing that I had running from the pump in the tank to the sump and since I changed that out and the tank out there haven't been any leaks. The only thing that sucks about the whole situation is the fact that I wasted money on the replacement tank and lost a few corals in the process...candy canes & xenia are no more...frogspawn is so/so. Everything else, including the nem seem to be getting better...the nem looked rough for a couple days but I left him in the sump so that I would have easy access to feed him as he had moved to the back of the rock work in the old tank. He devoured a good amount of minced shrimp last night for the first time since the incident. No pics atm b/c I'm at work...

Sad to hear about the mishap. Hope all goes well.
I got some more of the pompom xenia if you need em.
Also got a kenya tree to frag if you need one too.

Sorry just seeing this...my schedule has been insane. Thanks for the support! Will def take some more xenia & some kenya tree...just let me know price and when you're available for pickup...right now I could only come by on a Saturday...text me and let me know!

sorry to hear what happened, if their is anything i can do please call me..

Thanks! ...accidents happen...:( Will do...still in the planning stage for that 30g...decided to go w/ the beananimal overflow...if you're still interested in helping with the actual build when I've collected everything would be cool. The plumbing on that looks a little confusing.

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Thanks! ...accidents happen...:( Will do...still in the planning stage for that 30g...decided to go w/ the beananimal overflow...if you're still interested in helping with the actual build when I've collected everything would be cool. The plumbing on that looks a little confusing.[/QUOTE]

I would love to help, but is their a particular reason you want to do a ben animal set up.
I looked into that when I was setting up my tank, but didn't decide to do it, if you keep up with maintenance no need for the 3rd emergency drain.

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I actually wanted to do the beananimal b/c I always choose the fail safe option...don't really want pissed off 5th floor neighbors...especially since according to my lease I'm not even supposed to have ANY and well you see how many I have...lol. My management co/property manager's always oooh & ahhh at the tanks...but I just really want to take every precaution. Not to mention the reviews on the fact that the system is silent!

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Found some hitchhiker snails in my tank the other day and finally just found out what they are...they are too tiny to take pictures of...they're collonista snails.

They look identical to these:

http://www.cvreefers.org/showthread.php?9171-Collonista-Snails

Updating the lighting on this tank to diy chinese led's...decided to use the ones that TinyGiant used except the 4x1w version...doing 4cw & 5 blue...should be here next month...

Doing this led setup (Thanks TinyGiant):

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=267432

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Just a monthly update...lost a lot of corals after the old plumbing from the fuge leaked and switched everything over to the new 5.5g after thinking the tank itself was the source of the leak...so kind of a crappy photo update...only new thing added is a 3/4" yellow tail blue damsel...

Also found a few more baby snails in the tank...they kind of look like the Malaysian Trumpet Snails in my FW planted tanks...like these: http://www.planetinverts.com/malaysian_trumpet_snail.html

They're about 2 mm in length...anybody know if they're reef safe?

Tried to upload a couple pics of them...pulled out 2 and put them in a water jug cut in half...

Also...sorry for the cell phone pics...gotta get a new memory card old one is full for my digi...

Attachments

• 08-11-11 328.jpg
    08-11-11 328.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 197
  • 08-11-11 327.jpg
    08-11-11 327.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 200
  • 08-11-11 326.jpg
    08-11-11 326.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 199
  • 08-11-11 325.jpg
    08-11-11 325.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 198
  • 08-11-11 324.jpg
    08-11-11 324.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 202
  • 08-11-11 329.jpg
    08-11-11 329.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 197
  • 08-11-11 330.jpg
    08-11-11 330.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 193
  • 08-11-11 331.jpg
    08-11-11 331.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 197
  • 08-11-11 332.jpg
    08-11-11 332.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 189
  • 08-11-11 333.jpg
    08-11-11 333.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 193
  • 08-11-11 334.jpg
    08-11-11 334.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 194
  • 08-11-11 335.jpg
    08-11-11 335.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 195
  • 08-11-11 336.jpg
    08-11-11 336.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 184
  • 08-11-11 337.jpg
    08-11-11 337.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 187
  • 08-11-11 338.jpg
    08-11-11 338.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 189

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Sorry to hear about the mishap but glad everything is back on track.
Is that the same hairy mushroom from me?
I still have the orange skirt zooanthid on rock.
The pompom xenia frag are gone already. I might be able to cut you a 2" portion of kenya tree if you want.

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Sorry to hear about the mishap but glad everything is back on track.
Is that the same hairy mushroom from me?
I still have the orange skirt zooanthid on rock.
The pompom xenia frag are gone already. I might be able to cut you a 2" portion of kenya tree if you want.

Ugh...what can you do? Part of the hobby...I mean we're in this through the good, bad and the ugly...and that was ugly so some good has to be coming my way with this tank, right? Yes, it has pretty much stayed small since that incident so hopefully it'll come back...do you think I should put it on the sandbed...or leave it on the rocks? Will definitely take the zoa's and Kenya tree and the ric you mentioned...see ya tomorrow! May stop by Manhattan Aquariums on the way home...tired from work and can't sleep...sore throat and congested...that's what I get for sleeping in the a/c. :(

Sent from my PC36100 using Reefs

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Ok...so a couple of updates...have decided this is going to be a combined thread for all of my tanks (my 5.5g & 30g in the works & 10g which is my boys' tank)...and if there's any interest I'll post pics of my fw tanks.

My boy's...especially my 8 yr. old has been bugging me for a Reef tank since I set mine up and well since he is so amazing...and also b/c my neighbor threw out a brand new 10g tank, filter, heater Friday night...my son got his wish...so the 10g is currently set up with a 24" t5 w/ 10,000k & 1 actinic, 8lbs of live rock and 20lbs of live sand, used water from my 100% water change (to start the cycle) and fresh sw...he's on his way...will post pics later. Also, painted the back of the tank w/ krylon...patriotic blue.

On another note...the 5.5g has had amazing growth since upgrading to the diy led's in the last week and a half...will try to post pics later...

On the 30g build...I painted the back of the tank w/ blue krylon...this is going to be a very slow build until I've gathered all of the parts...

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
for the 30 gallon if you need any items i might have some stuff laying around.

Just let me know what you want to get rid of that would be good for the setup and the price and we'll go from there...

Was going to get the glass for the baffles for the sump and for the bean animal at a little glass shop by my job but they went out of business a couple weeks ago... :(

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I think I need to decide on and find a skimmer first and foremost before I can move on with anything else right? I almost jumped on a coralife 220 but was advised against it as I've heard that they have mediocre reviews...so far I've been busy working on the other tanks so still haven't done anything with the 30g besides paint it...lol. I have tank, stand, light, sump tank...that's it...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: