• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Made a crappy youtube video of the tank. It's impossible to get clear photos/video with this camera b/c of the LED's...

Here's the link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-s93zQIRPg

I am loving these GU10 LED's over the tank...growth and coloration of the corals is amazing...just wish I could take a picture that accurately represents the tank.

Also, a few pics for an update...and a pic of my 20g high planted...

Not only do my kid's love the tank...but I've been catching my boyfriend sitting in my desk chair staring at the tank and talking about buying things for it...he's getting sucked in and doesn't even know it. I love this hobby! lol :smokin:

Oh and the boy's 10g had finished it's cycle...diatom bloom went away...they have a hermit crab for the time being until we go shopping...told them we have to add livestock slowly and surprisingly not one complaint. Still want to add a few more pounds of live rock to it...adding a pic of their tank so far as well...

Attachments

• 08-29-11 072.JPG
    08-29-11 072.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 220
  • 08-29-11 110.JPG
    08-29-11 110.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 212
  • 08-29-11 073.JPG
    08-29-11 073.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 211
  • 08-29-11 074.JPG
    08-29-11 074.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 214
  • 08-29-11 075.JPG
    08-29-11 075.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 262
  • 08-29-11 071.JPG
    08-29-11 071.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 276
  • 08-29-11 076.JPG
    08-29-11 076.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 205
  • 08-29-11 077.JPG
    08-29-11 077.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 208
  • 08-29-11 059.JPG
    08-29-11 059.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 210
  • 08-29-11 060.JPG
    08-29-11 060.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 201
  • 08-29-11 078.JPG
    08-29-11 078.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 198
  • 08-29-11 062.JPG
    08-29-11 062.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 263
  • 08-29-11 068.JPG
    08-29-11 068.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 223
  • 08-29-11 070.JPG
    08-29-11 070.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 212
  • BOY'S TANK 005.JPG
    BOY'S TANK 005.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 208
  • BOY'S TANK 006.JPG
    BOY'S TANK 006.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 201
  • BOY'S TANK 002.JPG
    BOY'S TANK 002.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 204
  • BOY'S TANK 003.JPG
    BOY'S TANK 003.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 205
  • BOY'S TANK 004.JPG
    BOY'S TANK 004.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 232

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Small update for the 10g that belongs to my boy's...3 1/2lbs. more live rock for a total of 11 1/2 lbs., 6 hermits, 2 snails, an anemone crab, and 3 free purple mushroom hitchhikers on the live rock...yay! lol

Pics...tell me what you think of the scape...

Attachments

• IMAG0405.jpg
    IMAG0405.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 195
  • IMAG0406.jpg
    IMAG0406.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 259
  • IMAG0409.jpg
    IMAG0409.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 213
  • IMAG0407.jpg
    IMAG0407.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 210

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Woo hoo! NEW FRAGS!!! Had a very bad day...someone completely turned my afternoon around and I decided to go on a mission to Manhattan Aquariums to treat myself for my very first visit with my kid's...(NEVER GO FRAG SHOPPING WITH FAMILY!) The kid's drove me nuts with the "Mommy, can we go yet?" Came home with 5 frags from Manhattan Aquariums tonight...omg...I'm in love with that place...it looks like they'll be robbing me of a lot of my income for the foreseeable future...lol. D@mn it! They are drip acclimating at the moment and will post pics once they're settled into my tank...also got my first acro, blasto merletti, favia and chalice tonight. 5 amazing looking frags for $39...can't beat that with a stick.

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Ok...so a couple of updates...have decided this is going to be a combined thread for all of my tanks (my 5.5g & 30g in the works & 10g which is my boys' tank)...and if there's any interest I'll post pics of my fw tanks.

My boy's...especially my 8 yr. old has been bugging me for a Reef tank since I set mine up and well since he is so amazing...and also b/c my neighbor threw out a brand new 10g tank, filter, heater Friday night...my son got his wish...so the 10g is currently set up with a 24" t5 w/ 10,000k & 1 actinic, 8lbs of live rock and 20lbs of live sand, used water from my 100% water change (to start the cycle) and fresh sw...he's on his way...will post pics later. Also, painted the back of the tank w/ krylon...patriotic blue.

On another note...the 5.5g has had amazing growth since upgrading to the diy led's in the last week and a half...will try to post pics later...

On the 30g build...I painted the back of the tank w/ blue krylon...this is going to be a very slow build until I've gathered all of the parts...

Getting them in to the hubby while there young is good. Cant wait to see he's tank thread soon on MR ^_^

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Getting them in to the hubby while there young is good. Cant wait to see he's tank thread soon on MR ^_^

Lol...I didn't have much choice about getting them into the hobby...they nag me to the point of no return to be involved...they LOVE working on the tanks while at home...but the despise running around the city frag shopping/going to fish stores! :frown: :irked: The 10g belongs to my boy's...my daughter has a 10g freshwater planted Red Cherry Shrimp tank and is now begging me to go salt. So I told her she's going to have to earn a 2nd tank/reef tank with good behavior. We're sharing my thread at the moment since it's 3 builds going on I don't want to deal with 3 threads.

Good news...just put the 5 new frags in the tank after drip acclimating and all of the polyps extended immediately on the acro and the feeder tentacles are out on the favia. The hard work/upkeep is definitely paying off. :biggrin:

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Lol...I didn't have much choice about getting them into the hobby...they nag me to the point of no return to be involved...they LOVE working on the tanks while at home...but the despise running around the city frag shopping/going to fish stores! :frown: :irked: The 10g belongs to my boy's...my daughter has a 10g freshwater planted Red Cherry Shrimp tank and is now begging me to go salt. So I told her she's going to have to earn a 2nd tank/reef tank with good behavior. We're sharing my thread at the moment since it's 3 builds going on I don't want to deal with 3 threads.

Good news...just put the 5 new frags in the tank after drip acclimating and all of the polyps extended immediately on the acro and the feeder tentacles are out on the favia. The hard work/upkeep is definitely paying off. :biggrin:

Pictures of the new frags that you got would be nice to show on MR if you dont mind ^_^ and yea Tell me about tanks i have a 55G saltwater tank and 29G freshwater tank that i will turn into saltwater soon and 20G that a friend of mine is currently using at the moment and my other tank is a 5G thats sitting my dresser in my room.

Last edited:

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Pictures of the new frags that you got would be nice to show on MR if you dont mind ^_^ and yea Tell me about tanks i have a 55G saltwater tank and 29G freshwater tank that i will turn into saltwater soon and 20G that a friend of mine is currently using at the moment and my other tank is a 5G thats sitting my dresser in my room.

Just finished taking pics, uploading, resizing and was just about to post...lol...so here you go. Mind you the colors on these kick @$$ in real life. Please keep in mind that my photography skills are lackluster. :irked:

Pics of the new frags...polyps/feeder tentacles extended on everything immediately...except the zoas...placed on sand bed for the moment to acclimate to LED's as they were under t5's @ the store...

The tanks at the moment I have 9 sitting in the house...I have a 55 planted w/ 2 discus...2-30g that were fw planted that is part of my slow reef build (display tank/display fuge), 20g high planted w/ RCS & Otto's, 10g FW planted RCS (daughter's), 10g Reef build (sons'), my 5.5g reef w/ 2g acrylic hex gravity fuge, and another 5.5g that I just tore down that was FW planted. I have an addiction and it's the aquatic hobby...period. I have to stop...I have a problem and I need help...lol. There I said it! I just find it all even the maintenance end to be incredibly relaxing/rewarding. Someone tried to offer me a biocube 14 today...had to resist the temptation!

Attachments

• My 5.5 Reef 001.jpg
    My 5.5 Reef 001.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 194
  • My 5.5 Reef 005.jpg
    My 5.5 Reef 005.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 189
  • My 5.5 Reef 004.jpg
    My 5.5 Reef 004.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 195
  • My 5.5 Reef 003.jpg
    My 5.5 Reef 003.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 193
  • My 5.5 Reef 002.jpg
    My 5.5 Reef 002.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 248

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Just finished taking pics, uploading, resizing and was just about to post...lol...so here you go. Mind you the colors on these kick @$$ in real life. Please keep in mind that my photography skills are lackluster. :irked:

Pics of the new frags...polyps/feeder tentacles extended on everything immediately...except the zoas...placed on sand bed for the moment to acclimate to LED's as they were under t5's @ the store...

The tanks at the moment I have 9 sitting in the house...I have a 55 planted w/ 2 discus...2-30g that were fw planted that is part of my slow reef build (display tank/display fuge), 20g high planted w/ RCS & Otto's, 10g FW planted RCS (daughter's), 10g Reef build (sons'), my 5.5g reef w/ 2g acrylic hex gravity fuge, and another 5.5g that I just tore down that was FW planted. I have an addiction and it's the aquatic hobby...period. I have to stop...I have a problem and I need help...lol. There I said it! I just find it all even the maintenance end to be incredibly relaxing/rewarding. Someone tried to offer me a biocube 14 today...had to resist the temptation!

Damn!!! You mightiest well just open up a store in your house lol

Last edited:

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Lmao...it drives my boyfriend nuts but I clean the tanks on Saturday's while he's at work...and have been really trying hard to give him more attention than the tanks! Having to deal with the stress of dealing w/ anal hobbyists wouldn't be worth the headache in setting up a store...lmao...the hobby is my stress relief...don't need the added stress...it would take the fun out of it for me. However my boyfriend was pushing me last night to start trying to find work that is hobby related...aaahhh...men...smh.

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Lmao...it drives my boyfriend nuts but I clean the tanks on Saturday's while he's at work...and have been really trying hard to give him more attention than the tanks! Having to deal with the stress of dealing w/ anal hobbyists wouldn't be worth the headache in setting up a store...lmao...the hobby is my stress relief...don't need the added stress...it would take the fun out of it for me. However my boyfriend was pushing me last night to start trying to find work that is hobby related...aaahhh...men...smh.

Yea this hobby really does help out the stress get out your head.

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Darn it. I wanna upgrade my lights too now that I see how the acan you got from me looks and all your other frags. Makes me think of ditching the edge and go with an 12g long Mr aqua or ADA for better lighting options plus I love the lengthy shallow tank.

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Darn it. I wanna upgrade my lights too now that I see how the acan you got from me looks and all your other frags. Makes me think of ditching the edge and go with an 12g long Mr aqua or ADA for better lighting options plus I love the lengthy shallow tank.

It's crazy I know...do you know how many people talked trash about these GU10'S stating that they wouldn't work, too weak, etc.? I would love a long shallow rimless...hmmm...really considering something like that instead of going further with the 30g build...I love the shallow/long tanks. Don't forget the wife will murder you...lol. You could always have the bulbs shipped to my place and I could "gift" them to you...lol. :wink1::Up_to_som:scratchch

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Transferred tank over to an ADA 45F...

The colors look so washed out...and the pics look grainy...but here's a couple more of what I took. Oh and that one rock with the hair algae had the algae on it when I got it...scrubbed it off with a toothbrush and it came back. It's the only rock in the tank with it...hasn't spread elsewhere. Please excuse the clump of cheato sitting behind/kinda on top of the rock work...lol. Do you know how to change the title to the thread...since it's not in the 5.5g anymore? How's your new frags doing?

Attachments

• DSCF1100.JPG
    DSCF1100.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCF1098.JPG
    DSCF1098.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 202
  • DSCF1099.JPG
    DSCF1099.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 179

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
They are actually doing good.
I just got a frag rack from limpit's reef last week and cut it smaller to fit the edge. I wanted the sand bed to be neat and take the frag plugs off it.
You'd be surprised that the tiny edge also has a frag rack in it.:biggrin:
The my clementine zoas did'nt make it out of the swap without being fragged.
Reefs creations traded a nice mini colony of cat's eyes and another zoa frag for a polyp of it.
I got some pics up im my thread for the new additions.
As for title change, I think we can't change the original title of the thread but I may be wrong. I tried it before and t doesn't seem work.

Your ADA tank looks good. I'm really controlling myself in getting that 12 gallon long rimless from Mr Aqua.
I'm tempted to start packing up my figure collection wall and break down the edge to make space for that tank.:Up_to_som

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: