50.5 KB · Views: 642
  • Picture 038.jpg
    Picture 038.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 629

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I want to nominate Witold's pic. Look at the teeth on the six-line....I'm a sixline owner so I'm partisan :)
Wrasse_small.jpg

ulmo

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Jonathan,

I think that's a great idea, but we need to have some rules, such as no photoshopping, unless it's for pictures like the one posted by Rich. :)

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
hey peter,

I have to say I photoshop every picture I show these days.
You have to, to make a digital shot look halfway decent.
I view photoshop as just an extension of the old darkrooms I used to work in, the new term is now lightroom :)

I'll admit I like more natural looking shots, but if someone has a cool shot they have spent time tweaking with some cool effects we should not dismiss it.

fyi, did you know every single image you see these days has been through the photo chop shop, including commercials, tv shows and movies. nothing is really real anymore.

ulmo

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Hey Jonathan,

I don't mind using photoshop to touch up or crop pictures. But you have to admit it gets difficult to know what is real and not real when you can change the color of corals, anemones, etc. with just a click of a mouse. It might be misleading because someone might assume that these might be different color morphs. I admit that I love the different artistic effects you can create with photoshop, but the pictures should be labeled as so. Just my thoughts. :) Yes, I admit it's confusing to know what is real anymore.

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Ja Ja, what color morph is that?

I agree with both of you. As for photoshop, as Jonathan stated, almost all images go through some kind of Post Process. The problem is when it's done beyond the normal tweaks (contrast,usm,levels) , and presented as natural. Of course if the author presents it as being photshopped, then there is nothing wrong as that is his level of creativity.

But for the most part, i am against tweaking images beyond the normal. Most definately, my nature ones.

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Wow! Thanks for choosing mine as the first one!

Details:
canon digital elph (s400)
Custom white balance
spot meter
-2 EV
Picture taken through an 8x loupe over the lens

I used corel to sharpen and darken, then to add copyright.

No color pushing at all.

B

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
bad coffee said:
Wow! Thanks for choosing mine as the first one!

Details:
canon digital elph (s400)
Custom white balance
spot meter
-2 EV
Picture taken through an 8x loupe over the lens

I used corel to sharpen and darken, then to add copyright.

No color pushing at all.

B

that's cool B, through a loupe? that's what gave it that painterly quality.

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Yeah. I use a cheapy plastic $5 loupe from B&H. it fits over the canon's lens perfectly. (if you look at the pic there's even some vingetting going on) The only bad thing (some of the time) is that depth of field drops to ZERO. I've got some killer close ups of some of the favites? I have. There's just one line of crests in focus and the rest is out.

I'll dig them up one of these days. . .

And If I quit gambling so much I might actually buy a new digital. My canon crapped out on me and won't do anything. I might just get a 20 D or even the rebel xt. (if I go the rebel route I can get a nicer piece of glass.)

B

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
:Thinking: heres 2

Attachments

• th_CONTEST3001.jpg
    th_CONTEST3001.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 543
  • th_CONTEST3003.jpg
    th_CONTEST3003.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 544
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: