jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
still experimenting with the new camera.
I used a mix of studio strobe and on camera strobe for these shots.
I had a 1500 watt strobe pointed over the water with no attachments I let the water diffuse the light. This worked well but when the strobe hit the white stripes on the clown they became like reflectors sending light back onto the clowns body and created a ghosting around the stripes. the small on camera flash was easier to use, but it is no where near as powerful.
With the studio strobe I was able to shoot at f32 - 100ASA setting if i wanted to.

clown2.jpg

clown3.jpg

clown1.jpg

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
two other hard to catch fish in the tank. both the damsel and the psudochromis are rarely out.

damsel.jpg

pseudo.jpg

these were both shot with the on camera flash

T

twinreef

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
the camera flash did a very good job. you could us the strobes when you shot the corals at a about f16 or higher. that should give you a nice dof.

Jorge

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Jonathan. Nice pics!

Did you try shooting the pics at -1EV? sometimes that will correct the overexposure on the whites.

Also, can you stop down your strobes? That might do it as well. Either using flash compensation or a manual switch on your strobe box.

I didn't know you had an orchid dotty. has it bothered any other tank mates?

B

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
:arg: I had all the strobes set up, and my camera batteries charged. I waited for the sun to go down to avoid ambient glare, I look in the tank and it's cloudy.
The snails have foiled me again, :bunnies: I'll have to wait for tomorrow and the water to clear, poor :fish:

twinreef said:
the camera flash did a very good job. you could us the strobes when you shot the corals at a about f16 or higher. that should give you a nice dof.

yep, I like being able to shoot the coral at f32!

bad coffee said:
Did you try shooting the pics at -1EV? sometimes that will correct the overexposure on the whites.

Also, can you stop down your strobes? That might do it as well. Either using flash compensation or a manual switch on your strobe box.

I didn't know you had an orchid dotty. has it bothered any other tank mates?

yes the dotty has killed a couple of wrasses and some anthias he will go when ever i can catch him.

I'll have to play around with the strobes I'd like to put three head across the tank and see how that works, right now I was just using one strobe head.
If I took the hood off I could use one long soft box, but i don't want to go to that trouble.

I'll have to try the -EV1 trick later when the water clears...

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
one from before the snails got busy, shot with the strobe head
anthilia at f32/60

anthelia.jpg

anybody want some? it's growing on my glass again.

here's the shooting data,

Nikon D200
2006/08/16 19:33:33.6
JPEG (8-bit) Normal
Image Size: Large (3872 x 2592)
Color
Lens: 90mm F/2.8 D
Focal Length: 90mm
Exposure Mode: Manual
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
1/160 sec - F/32
Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 100
Optimize Image: Vivid
White Balance: Auto
AF Mode: Manual
Flash Sync Mode: Not Attached
Color Mode: Mode III (sRGB)
Tone Comp.: Normal
Hue Adjustment: 0?
Saturation: Enhanced
Sharpening: Medium high
Image Comment:
Long Exposure NR: Off
High ISO NR: Off

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Damn, that damsel looks like a blue oscar.

Nice shots Jonathan. The last one looks a tad oversaturated on my monitor.

I like shooting around f22. When you go higher the lens tend to lose some sharpness. The poor fish must have been cursing you out. Putting a 1500 watt strobe on the tank, LMAO.

Keep shooting away. Look forward to more!

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
bad coffee said:
when you going to dig out that grey scale card?

lol B, I'd have to put the gray card under water.

my strobes are on the yellow side, I tried everything, in the end auto worked best :headache:

I know they make waterproof gray cards :screama:

I was concerned about the fish and the strobes, they did not seem to mind.
Maybe they thought it was just a storm? They did not freak out at all and continued
to swim around like normal.

Wingo you really want more anthelia? come and get it :P

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: