Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Nice pic Tony! No, mine is not a blue ring although I had one like 10 years ago. After you mentioned that, it does look like the Octo has blue coloring in the pics Lissa took.

My Octo is O. Aculeatus. Actually yours looks like a younger version of mine. Do you know what species yours is? I bet it is also an O. Aculeatus.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Had him a week so only been feeding him frozen krill/prawn and whatever cleaning crew crab wise he could get in the tank. Threw in some pests i had hanging in the sump too. He's well fed.

Going to get some mussel and anything i could find in a day or two when i hit up the fish market.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
DSCN1999.jpg

DSCN2004.jpg

DSCN2005.jpg

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Interesting article. I'll try and search down the original scientific publication of the data - I have found that media sites tends to: a) get facts ever-so slightly (yet importantly) wrong; and b) anthropomorphize the animals so much that it's hard to tell where the facts end and their imagination begins. :lol2:

edit: here is the abstract for the article: http://www.springerlink.com/content/2x868ll35802146q/
I'll see if I can download the pdf at work tonight.

Last edited:

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Interesting article. I'll try and search down the original scientific publication of the data - I have found that media sites tends to: a) get facts ever-so slightly (yet importantly) wrong; and b) anthropomorphize the animals so much that it's hard to tell where the facts end and their imagination begins. :lol2:

edit: here is the abstract for the article: http://www.springerlink.com/content/2x868ll35802146q/
I'll see if I can download the pdf at work tonight.

LMAO :splitspin

This is actually a paper I read a while back when I got my Aculeatus and learned their natural behavior. I have the PDF on another computer so if Lissa can't download it I will attach it. The authors are members of Tonmo. Thales probably knows them pretty well.

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Stop taking those good pics I'm getting jealous... Staten Island is not that far away... And I might have to "BBQ&Beers" to get a good camera out here...lol and it's getting warm:scratchch No more good pics, mods please close this thread...:kidding:

Last edited:

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I just saw this thread, here are some octopus babies I hatched years ago. The bottom picture is a Japanese shore crab from Long Island
Octopusandcrab.jpg

Very cool Paul! The crab you have pictured is actually a common shore crab (Carcinus maenas). The Japanese Shore Crab or Asian Shore Crab (Hemigrapsus sanguineus) looks like this (I'm sure you have seen millions of these guys too!):

ASC.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: