Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Question: we have two clownfishes. They have gotten blotchy/black spots like some pictured here in this thread. I thought it was possibly because they are hosting corals and the corals are aggrivated by it and stinging them causing these markings. Though upon looking at them it seems as if their black may be growing into more black.

I will have to get a pic and post to see if this is possible. Okay.. Anyone know how common this occurs? Can they get these black pigments around their mouths? (One of ours entire lips have turned black, I thought it was from him tasting the coral (hammer and zoas they are hosting) or is it that he is changing) Is there anyway to tell or time will tell?

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I think you are right on Pinkheine. Even though some clownfish will develope more darkness with age. Hosting in stinging corals can cause them to get black spots. My clownfish have pink lips from the RBTA they suckle at.

The spots are a form of Melanism and are most likely caused by the the corals they are hosting and nothing to worry about.

There is a slim chance it can be dietary imbalance. Make sure you are feeding a variety of meaty foods as well as a bit of greens.

Good luck,
Chris

Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I think you are right on Pinkheine. Even though some clownfish will develope more darkness with age. Hosting in stinging corals can cause them to get black spots. My clownfish have pink lips from the RBTA they suckle at.

The spots are a form of Melanism and are most likely caused by the the corals they are hosting and nothing to worry about.

There is a slim chance it can be dietary imbalance. Make sure you are feeding a variety of meaty foods as well as a bit of greens.

Good luck,
Chris

Alright I really wasn't sure. These clownfish are taking pellets, flake and a large variety of different foods. An entire shelf in my freezer in dedicated to fish food :lol: I have spent more money on food than corals for sure.. if that makes any sense. Though that is why my skimmer works overtime because I like them to be fed happily.. HAHAHA

I really have no knowledge on the subject only from reading an article here or there... I also don't know if these are tank raised or wild caught clownfishes, I didn't even ask. :eek: Thanks for the input. :)

nycpassat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
220   0   0
I feed them Formula Two pellets. In the past, I've had frogspawns, BTAs, and other branching corals host my clownfish and they developed black spots as well. But this one does not. He mostly swims and hangs out at the top of tank and i've never seen him get near any of my corals. When I had first got him, he was almost entirely orange and I now see new black spots on him everyday :)

Last edited:

autoponicz