Attachments

• DSC_0395.jpg
    DSC_0395.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 143

sambo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
if you're going to spend that much loot on a g10 or sx model, you may as well go a bit farther and get a entry level SLR with a real sensor in it. even if you never buy another lens the pictures will come out much better with truer color and less noise than the others because the sensor is larger and pixel density is much lower. just my .02

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
It really all boils down to how much you want to learn about the camera and taking the pictures and the time you want to spend taking them. Base your camera on that more than the cost of the camera. You can buy a really expensive SLR with 1500-3k$ lenses but if your not taking the time and the effort to set the camera up for each shot and learn how to use it your pictures are going to look like they were taken on basic settings on a bad point and shoot. When you descide on how you want to go, there are a bunch of proven point and shoots people had great success with, and if your going SLR it all depends on the lenses you buy like Jabol said. There are a bunch of different lense types and then those get broken down further to price and quality/manufacturer and require alot more research and comparing to buy. Descent lenses start at 450$ for SLR's and lenses add up quick. Also, your going to want/need more than 1 type of lense.

It sort of works the same way as keeping a reef tank. You can spend ALOT of money on a setup that monitors and controlls everything for you but to get a beautiful and successful tank relies completely on the knowledge and knowhow about the animals, water chemistry and the equipment and the husbandry/maintanance you do every few days. With the same amount of know how and work you can set up a bare bones 5g mini reef and make it look amazing also. Sort of the way bob has done with his point and shoot.

To give an example of the work and studying involved, I've been playing/learning with my SLR for about 30 hours total time since i've gotten it and i barely scratched the surface of the basics. Im not a slow learner and completely understand how each setting works and their affects on the shot. Im learning through using it with alot of reading and researching online. My research and reading just on the basics has run me about the same amount of time i spent playing with the camera so far. I am exagerating a bit but it gives you an idea of what your getting into before you spend the 1k$ on a basic setup and are dissapointed after your first shot.

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Get a powershot... I'm still waiting on an expensive camera to post a pic I can't.. I'm someone can, but until I see it I'm incline to believe that it's not that big of a difference.. Unless your buying the $2000 macro lense(high end model)..

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Get a powershot... I'm still waiting on an expensive camera to post a pic I can't.. I'm someone can, but until I see it I'm incline to believe that it's not that big of a difference.. Unless your buying the $2000 macro lense(high end model)..

Its a big difference between a powershot macro shot and the 500$ 60mm or 100mm macro. Clarity, color, sharpness, ect... Just takes time to get it set up right. =0)

I just got myself the 60mm canon macro lense this weekend that i have yet to try. Maybe one day soon when i get time.

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
So the real problem I'm thinking is learning how to use the camera... My camera has a lot of settings that I have yet to learn how to use but the settings I know about already are shooting some pretty good shots without $1000 lense changes.. I'm still not a believer in the DSLR.. Most of the macro pictures I see seem to blur off on the edges,, why is that..

I like the powershot to me it's hanging with the big boy's on a smaller budget,,lol...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: