Brian65901

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Try the Sigma 70mm Macro

Unless you are using a full sensor digital camera the 70mm will behave like a 105mm. Nikon makes an excellent lens and it has VR which stabilizes the camera shake but since you will be doing most macro work with a tripod its not mandatory. The Sigma 70 has been rated as one of the sharpest lenses (Sharper than the 105 Sigma and Nikon) available and you can get it for under $400.00

http://www.popphoto.com/Reviews/Lenses/Lens-Test-Sigma-70mm-f-2.8-EX-DG-Macro-AF

http://www.nikoscope.com/pages/resu...157"&auxQuery=sigma+70mm++review&startSearch=7

I did a lot of research at nikonians.org and I also looked at the Tamron 90 mm and the Tokina 105mm all 3 lens were top rated but the Sigma was the sharpest If I had the extra $600 to get the Nikon I would probable do it as it is a great lens but not worth the extra money when the Sigma is sharper according to my research
I just got it at Electronics Expo at a great price around $375

Last edited:

Melt

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
i got one a couple weeks from JR.... and i am very happy with it ...and most of all the resale value is great on nikon lens..just incase you need to upgrade.

MO~IDOL

I Work Hard For Color!
Vendor
Rating - 100%
643   0   0
well a good lens value r always there WYPIWYG. tons reviews on the net. and most importantly how much you know the cam! most ppl(including my self)think that if they get a nice DSLR the picture will be awesome which is a HUGE mistake!

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
well a good lens value r always there WYPIWYG. tons reviews on the net. and most importantly how much you know the cam! most ppl(including my self)think that if they get a nice DSLR the picture will be awesome which is a HUGE mistake!

AGREED.

as I still don't even know how the fluorescence works on a camera nor any master has writen a simple tutorial for beginners.

However, when I use it for my other application like the low budget wedding shoot and stage photography, it makes huge difference between my older Lumix and the D90 or the D600(do i miss a digit here-i do not own this one.)

Last edited:

Brian65901

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Nikon or Sigma

As I said before I love the Sigma but if I had an extra $600.00 free I would get the Nikon. You won't go wrong with either one you'll just save money

Remember a good photographer can take better pictures with a cheap lens and extension tubes that a beginner with the best equipment and only you know your level of expertise.

Brian65901

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Distance to subject

Remember the following when you are doing 1:1 shots (lifesize) distance to subject

Nikon 60mm about 7"

Sigma 70mm 10.1"

Nikon 105mm 13.8

In a fish tank 7" is not enough

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Remember the following when you are doing 1:1 shots (lifesize) distance to subject

Nikon 60mm about 7"

Sigma 70mm 10.1"

Nikon 105mm 13.8

In a fish tank 7" is not enough
Thanks for the ino.

Was considering about the distance before as well and the trade offs of each.

Sigh....Just wish to have a little bit more money, then I don't have to think so hard.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: