fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
I've got the mother of all cyano outbreaks going on right now. (Yes I ordered an RO/DI, it's just not here yet!) I brought my alk up high enough to keep my PH around 8.8 for a week and the cyano hasn't slowed down a bit. I've been running phos pads and still nothing.

Just added 5 spoons of chemi-clean.

:tank:

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
What is it with people and chemicals. NOTHING replaces good old fashioned husbandry. Provided that you started your reef right (RODI) water etc you will never have these probllems. Never in my life did I ever have to resort to Chemicals. Chemicals just supress the problems. You need to fis the cause to get the right solution.

Please list your tank equipment and we will be able to give you a right course of action.

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
nanoreefer22 said:
How can you even recommend this if you don't know what his current water parameters are? That's the second time you recommended this and the second time I had to ask this same question.
-Kris
Well obviously my advice is not dose a ton of alkalinity. Test and dose with intelligence, keeping alkalinity on the higher side will slow / kill the growth and cyno.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Improve the circulation over the areas where you have the Cyano, Siphon some of it out and try to get your water back in check. PH needs to come down a tad, but it has to be slowly or that jump will shock the hell out of your livestock. Tell us what your water params are.

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
aaron23 said:
Well obviously my advice is not dose a ton of alkalinity. Test and dose with intelligence, keeping alkalinity on the higher side will slow / kill the growth and cyno.
My point was to one, second nanoreefer's point and two to point out that an insanely high alk, in my case, did nothing to slow the growth of the cyano.

A skimmer won't remove phosphate which is the number one cause of cyano.

What I love about forums is it's where hobyists (not marine biologists) talk about what has worked for them. In the not so distant past hobyists were growing SPS and the scientists were explaining why SPS could never be kept in captivity. The spread of this "what worked for me was..." is what leads to our new inovations.

On forums people post the equivalent of "I have a Chevy Malibu and my alternator broke! How do I change it"

A helpful response is not:
"Only own a Honda. Go buy a honda."

Sometimes people don't have your "perfect" setup and need help. In this case telling them what was worked for you can be helpful. Last week on one of the vidcast sites was a guy with a 65 gallon low flow NO SKIMMER SPS tank that was sick!!!! No fuge, and Barebottom!! It's been up for 5 years and it looks great. HE HAS a sick SPS tank with NO SKIMMER!!!!!!!

Of course we would all have some advise for him but aparently we still don't know everything that there is to know about this hobby.

My advise on cyano:

1. Get rid of the problem, not the symptom. Your levels are off, most likely you have high phosphates. Figure out where it is coming from and correct it (often tap water or not thouroughly rinsed frozen food).

2. Use chemi-pure if after a week of doing everything you can to remove phosphates you still see no imporvement. (This treats the symptom and not your problem)

Last edited:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Fritz, um, there are plenty of oddball examples of a tanks that look great with minimal equipment....that's not the point. You say a skimmer will not remove phosphates??? I'm not sure if it does or not, but it sure does contribute to low phosphates somehow. I mean, I have 23 fish and feed a ton of food daily any my po4 is .02 on a hanna meter. I don't use GFO's or any other po4 removing media.

Dennis hasen't even replied. I'm sure if his cyano is everywhere, his system is flawed or is possibly a very new setup. A reef setup doesn't have to be perfect but as a responsible hobbyist, a reef system should be able to provide a proper environment for its inhabitants, by whatever means.

Dennis before you take any advice, please list your entire setup equipment + water parameters that you test for etc...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: