BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
I have a home depot in expensive light right now clamped on the side of my sump set to turn on opposite the lights on my DT. A fellow reefer suggested that it was dangerous to have that light. The wires might get corroded from the salt creep.

What do you guys think about me replacing it with a 24 LED waterproof strip off ebay? Will it provide enough light for my macro? It doesnt specify how many watts it would be.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I have the clamp type construction light laying on top of egg crate with the center cut out. I dont trust the clamp but you would be fine with this setup.
I bought a CF Par38 from 1000Bulbs.com that produces 6500K.
You could also use a LED Par38.
Do you have a lot of salt creep? That would be a hazard you should look to reduce regardless of the light unit.

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
I have the clamp type construction light laying on top of egg crate with the center cut out. I dont trust the clamp but you would be fine with this setup.
I bought a CF Par38 from 1000Bulbs.com that produces 6500K.
You could also use a LED Par38.
Do you have a lot of salt creep? That would be a hazard you should look to reduce regardless of the light unit.
well a fellow reefer stopped by to give me tips and he noticed i had the home depot clamp light and no cover on my sump and expressed his concern. i dont want any fires or anything. so i figured a waterproof strip would be safest. i dont think theres much salt creep but still. what kind of hazards?

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Salt creep around electricity should be avoided at all costs. Any water that splashes will create airbourne salt spray that coats all the equipment.

You would be fine with a cover on your sump as a low cost fix, unless you want to replace the light with a new one.
When I get home I will add a picture to give you an idea of what I did. It is simple and cheap.

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
i guess im getting some splash since my overflow line isnt in the water. theres a little bit of splashing. so changing the light is looking like something to do.

now does anyone know if 24 leds is enough light?

al0ha

The Inked Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
i believe this is just for moonlight effect.... ur better off with a PC or par38 bulb....as for my experience with the hobby....prices that seem too good to be true are usually bad

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
How about the LED PAR 38 from Wingo?

I actually designed a special Fuge Light which is waiting for a good name.
Standard configuration is 13" with 18W and thus should be able to directly lay on top of the Fuge. It's low voltage, so even if the whole light is dropped in the tank, it should cause no electrocution at all. In fact, I drop the beta tester couple times in various tanks and still functioning.

I am announcing it somewhat end of week after I took enough pictures and par data. Plus putting a 25" demo in Tropical Island and a 13" in Pacific Aquarium Manhattan for you gusy to play around with.

Even better solution than the PAR bulb for that application.

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0

You can forget about it.

1)The strip you indicated is way too low in power to be of any good for growing things.

2)The so call water proof material is used for outdoor rain situation which will dry out basically without a trace when the sun is back up. But when used in saltwater tank environment, salt creep will occur and eventually corrode the circuit inside(the material is actually water permeable-worse than acrylics). I tested this type of LEDs for 4 years already and constantly monitoring them whenever the supplier tell me they have a new material for them. So far, none works in saltwater tank environment with that configuration(without a separate splash guard)!

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: