Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I know what your going through just went through the same process i ended up picking the AI sol blue for my 120 gal 5' long tank and i have to admit I'm very happy with the amount of light it produces and also i like that its modular so i can add more if i feel the need to and also if i get a larger tank i can just add more units to accommodate

jsvokowest

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Bought two... first one smoked up after the first five minute as the capacitor blew up. Second one took a week for a ceramic resistor to heat up till the heat shrink melted around it due to a poor voltage regulator. PM if you need more images or info. Or if you guys are cool with me posting it here let me know..

Attachments

• IMG_1156.jpg
    IMG_1156.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_1157.jpg
    IMG_1157.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_1160.jpg
    IMG_1160.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_1152.jpg
    IMG_1152.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 216

CristianD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Bought two... first one smoked up after the first five minute as the capacitor blew up. Second one took a week for a ceramic resistor to heat up till the heat shrink melted around it due to a poor voltage regulator. PM if you need more images or info. Or if you guys are cool with me posting it here let me know..

What lights are these? I'd be furious I'd this happened to me. What did u do with it? I had one of my ballast not go on for a few days (good now) but I feel like my corals def felt it. Color def faded for a lil.

vinnymang

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dang, we'll I guess those OCReef's are out of the picture for me. I'm assuming you don't recommend them after this mishap on both units.
I've been trying to get as much info today on Maxspect's new LED's coming out in a couple weeks, the R420r's. They seem interesting.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0

Can you show me a close up pic of the resistor and a wider angle pic so that I can see how the LED PCB is designed. It looks just like CAD Lights I have fixed.

jsvokowest

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What lights are these? I'd be furious I'd this happened to me. What did u do with it? I had one of my ballast not go on for a few days (good now) but I feel like my corals def felt it. Color def faded for a lil.

These were ordered from Greenstar Lighting which is the original factory which later became Houyi or something like that. They are now on AquariumLEDLIghting on ebay and doing OEM manufacturing.

Anyway when i got to the company they wanted me to return them to China at my cost for warranty service. After i told them I was not going to spend anymore on this the guy Karry Sun (who later became Ken Sun) at Houyi told me i was then on my own. So i got to the boss named Carl Lin (who later became Mike Lin) at Houyi who gave me the same nonsense so i filed a complaint on the site. Naturally to now avail.

These were 88 x 3watt LEDs with a 3 year warranty. Since then they lowered the power to some level you really cant do much with as well as the warranty. Which are the ones you find now. So i packed them back in the box and they sit in the basement until i find the time to work on them. In the meantime i went back to my T5 8 bulb Nova extreme.

Since then, i had a buddy of mine who went to Hong Kong to visit family meet up with them posing as a buyer. The guy Mike told him they can offer "false crees with certifications" I knew then i was screwed even though the units i got were Bridgelux. He tried to buy the parts for me to repair but they refused. So basically now they sit useless. And yeah i am furious but what can i do? Just chalk it up as a lesson learned.

jsvokowest

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Dang, we'll I guess those OCReef's are out of the picture for me. I'm assuming you don't recommend them after this mishap on both units.
I've been trying to get as much info today on Maxspect's new LED's coming out in a couple weeks, the R420r's. They seem interesting.

Not gonna knock OC but i am sure these are the same. Would never knock a reef shop but for the lights yeah i wouldnt recommend at all.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: