D

DEEPWATER

It been only a couple of weeks and ive been reading pleanty of threads about this .Well read on and look at the pics ill post ,these are ways to keep your tank cool for the summer time .

1st pic is a good oll AC ,Keep you room and tank cool during those hot summer days .Not to mention you will enjoy the cold room as well
Cost of this ,Priceless at 110 degree weather and 100% humidity

2nd pic .that my super duper powered fan ,on cool nights when its not as windy out side ,i kick this baby on to keep the air moving in my room ,allond with the next few pics ,this baby works great ,also kep the room somewhat cooler .you dont have the hot air just sitting around .

3rd 4th and 5th pics are of my fans that are on my tank and sump ..they are connected to a ranco controller .They really do a great job at keeping my tank cool .so far my chiller has not gone on and i have a 90 gal tank .

6th pic is my chiller and dual ranco controller (controller is for chiller and heat ,Thus dual controlller)

my controller is set to turn on my chiller at 81 and turns of at 79.(note ,,if you keep your AC on ,your chiller made just be a back up that what i have it for ) Summer is weird you never know what can happen

7th pic is my other single ranco controller>This controller is connected to the fans on my sump and tank ,its set to turn on when my hits 80 and turn off at 78.6 ( note that its set 1 degree les then the chiller ,this way i control my temp in my tank at any given point )

Now the last way but its a Pain in the A$$ is the freeze RO water in a plastic bottle and float it over your tank ,you may need alot of bottles of a few ,all depends on the size of your tank ,but its not the best way and you are not home all day ,the bottles will melt fast so you wl lhave to change them often

Hope I got everything down right ,Please correct me or add an Ifno to help out our fellow reefer buddies

Ronen
Deepwater Extreme

Attachments

• HEAT 001.jpg
    HEAT 001.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 1,226
  • HEAT 002.jpg
    HEAT 002.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,234
  • HEAT 004.jpg
    HEAT 004.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 1,229
  • HEAT 005.jpg
    HEAT 005.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,227
  • HEAT 006.jpg
    HEAT 006.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,221
  • HEAT 007.jpg
    HEAT 007.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 1,216
  • HEAT 003.jpg
    HEAT 003.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 1,224

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
i use option #1. i don't see why i should pay an electric bill to cool my tank and one to cool my room. is it cheaper over the long run to use an ac and chiller or just the ac? i leave my ac on 19-20hours out of the day.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
scarf_ace1981 said:
i use option #1. i don't see why i should pay an electric bill to cool my tank and one to cool my room. is it cheaper over the long run to use an ac and chiller or just the ac? i leave my ac on 19-20hours out of the day.

me too ,,but i have the back up for the just in case ,also ,sometime ther is no need to run an AC all day to keep your tank cool ,so far i didnt have to turn mine on only fans

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
DEEPWATER said:
Now the last way but its a Pain in the A$$ is the freeze RO water in a plastic bottle and float it over your tank ,you may need alot of bottles of a few ,all depends on the size of your tank ,but its not the best way and you are not home all day ,the bottles will melt fast so you wl lhave to change them often

Good advice overall, Ronen. But why does the frozen water need to be RO, if it's in a sealed bottle :scratch::flower:

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
194   0   0
:wink1:
Deanos said:
Good advice overall, Ronen. But why does the frozen water need to be RO, if it's in a sealed bottle :scratch::flower:

i always say ,better safe then srry .what if there is a leak in the bottle ,,tht a big IF thou :wink1:

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 98.6%
145   2   0
barebucta said:
cool thread. thanks for the pictures....say a million words.
Also i forgot to mention Ceiling fans ,they work to move the air around as well,

I need to find a way to rid of humidify my room ,as soon as the rain started my tank went to 81.6 and my chiller kicked in (main tank in my living room ),i wasnt home ,and thank
g-d i have my controllers so everything is fine ,My selling tank doesnt have a chiller ,so the AC was left at 79 degrees and tanks stayed at 80 :wink1: ,I also have fans over the tanks ....over all im safe either way ,unless my controller malfunction

sporty

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Hey Deepwater,

Can you make your controller kick in at 80 to cool to 79 and stop ,or even 80 to 79.5?
The chiller that I got has a build in controller and it has this 2 degree fluctuation and I'm a bit worry about my fishies.What do you think?.....

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
sporty said:
Hey Deepwater,

Can you make your controller kick in at 80 to cool to 79 and stop ,or even 80 to 79.5?
The chiller that I got has a build in controller and it has this 2 degree fluctuation and I'm a bit worry about my fishies.What do you think?.....

Mine seems to turn on and off on .5s for some reason,,i have a digi temp reading and they are all on point ,go figure

jenniebutterfly

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
i find the best way is to run lights at night. i hate doing it because i don't get to see my tank in all it's glory, but i turn on lights around 7 or 8 pm and let them run till about midnight. i also use clip on fans during the day since i try not to run my ac unless it is super hot out.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
My larger tank is in the basement, so I get the benefit of subgrade cooling. It does heat up though. When it does, all I use is two fans. One is a clip on fan I have mounted to a stud that blows between the tank and the lights. The other one I put on the floor to blow across my sump and fuge.

So far evaporative cooling has worked fine. My temp fluctuates from about 80 - 84 in the summer. This will be the third summer for it. There have been no ill effects from the fluctuation in temp.

My upstairs tank is another story. This will be the first summer for it. However, I have A/C upstairs. I'm hoping this works. I don't see why it wouldn't.

Jennie, I was going to run reverse light cycle like you describe. Then I decided, I am not keeping a reef like this just for the sake of keeping a glass box of water with coral and fish. I want to enjoy it. I scraped that plan after about 2 days of not getting to see my obsession. :biggrin:

Ronen, good thread btw.

swimmer

Last edited:

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
I run my tank overnight for both temp cooling, and the Off-peak rates on my electric bill. I enjoy it better as i get to see my tank at night and in the morning (when i am home) rather than have the lights on all day when i am at work.
my lights are on from 7pm (when i get home) to 9am (when i leave).

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
well that is just the VHO. the MH are only on from 10pm-2am.

i want the off-peak rates because i run 3 400W bulbs and 2 140W bulbs.
thats about 1500W/hour for the lights.

i also run my Air-Condition stronger during those times which helps keep the lights from heating the tank up.

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I run my AC primarily at night brings down the temp to about 77 from 80-81....Than i run a small turbo fan on the top of the canopy until nightfall does the trick for now....it does occasionally get to hot even with the fan on and i have to run the ac earlier in the day but so far so good, my ac always come through!!!! .....

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thx house ,,,

One more way ,if you have a Refig that you dont use ,you can drill 2 hole going in and 2 going out have your return and drain hoses pass throught the refig ,Instant chiller ,but you must not want the refig or a have a wife in that case ,or your a die man

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
The dorm room refridgerator "DIY Chiller" is overwhelmingly wasteful when it comes to cooling your tank. Fridges run at very low BTU's... think about how long it takes to cool a single bottle of beer. Warm water constantly running through it will not cool it much at all and the fridge will constantly run. Just so you know, the refridgerator is by far one of the highest energy consumption items in your house. Why run 2? You will see after one summer using this method, that buying and running a chiller the entire summer would work out to be cheaper after looking at the electric bill.
I'm not taking a cheap shot at those who are posting very useful information on this thread. All of the info is pretty solid, this technique however seems cheap up front, but is much more expensive in the long run. Not to mention the ineffectiveness.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: