D

DEEPWATER

summer is coming up ,so :bump:ing up this thread for ppl to read :)

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Great thread.
icon14.gif

jgiordano

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question on the Ranco; I set mine to 78, 78 and it keeps it more stable. The one degree difference turns on the heater @ 78 and the fan at 79.6

Do you see anything wrong with doing that long term? When I had t set to 78 and 80 the fan wouldn't turn on until it was one degree over 80 (about 81.6)

PalmTree

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Good solid advice Ronen! I use a chiller set at 79 and it does come on even when the lights are off. The problem is that my co-op has a lot of old people that like it HOT in the winter. I have to open my windows in the winter cause its so warm.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Question on the Ranco; I set mine to 78, 78 and it keeps it more stable. The one degree difference turns on the heater @ 78 and the fan at 79.6

Do you see anything wrong with doing that long term? When I had t set to 78 and 80 the fan wouldn't turn on until it was one degree over 80 (about 81.6)

Hmm ,,nope ,i keep my tank the same way ,My chiller would go on only if my tank reached past 81 .

I now keep a reefkeeper 2 instead of the ranco,,,its was cheaper in the long run ,,,,,My fans are set to turn on at 80 D and shut off at 78.9 ,,my chiller will go on at 81.5 and turn off at 79.5 ..my heater is set at 78 ,so it will only go on if it drops below 78.Ive been doing this for the past 4 years .My corals and fish are 1000% fine with this

here is a pic,,this works great for me :)

Attachments

• Tank shot 004.jpg
    Tank shot 004.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 208
  • Tank shot 006.jpg
    Tank shot 006.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 203
D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Good solid advice Ronen! I use a chiller set at 79 and it does come on even when the lights are off. The problem is that my co-op has a lot of old people that like it HOT in the winter. I have to open my windows in the winter cause its so warm.

my window are wide open and its still 90D in my apt ,,the heat is blasting as i type :banghead: but when its below 5 D outside im freezing go figure :smash:

pEEshEE

STEELERS
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Sorry to get off topic, but Ronen, your tank is looking HOT... no pun intended.

Love the DEEP purple all over. Pun intended. lol

Eznet2u

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in the Central Valley of California. Our summers are VERY HOT!
Last summer the temps were in the 110's with 85% humidity. We are
not used to the humidity. We have swamp coolers. These work great
when the humidity is in the 10%-20% range or lower. The problem is
that they saturate the air with water, so fans stop working to cool a
tank. Last year in a desperate hope I built this...

First Picture...20g Ice Chest...25' of clear tubing...
25# of Ice...1 gal of water...2 cups of rock salt.
1001877wk3.jpg

Thin sheet of styrofoam with cutouts for hose...
one leads from a Maxijet1200 in my sump...the
other returns to the sump.
1001876wr5.jpg

Put stock lid back on and fire up the pump.
This kept my tank @78 all summer. With times
that the heater kicked on. It was a great fix.
And It would last about 20 hrs.
1001875xx7.jpg

This year I'm hoping for a Chiller. :D

D

dylanjs

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eznet2U...I bet your cooler is a lot quieter than a chiller! There's something really great about the design. It sorta speaks to the design-nerd within me because it is so straightforward and effective, too.

BTW...I just put a fan on my sump because I took the chiller off my tank, and even on the lowest setting (it's a dinky little CVS clip-on fan), I was able to lower the tank's temp by 4 degrees. I was amazed. After reading all the hype on certain other sites (not MR), I didn't think I would ever be able to run a reef tank w/o a chiller. Go, fans!

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eznet2U...I bet your cooler is a lot quieter than a chiller! There's something really great about the design. It sorta speaks to the design-nerd within me because it is so straightforward and effective, too.

BTW...I just put a fan on my sump because I took the chiller off my tank, and even on the lowest setting (it's a dinky little CVS clip-on fan), I was able to lower the tank's temp by 4 degrees. I was amazed. After reading all the hype on certain other sites (not MR), I didn't think I would ever be able to run a reef tank w/o a chiller. Go, fans!

The fan will only work on day like this ,In the summer when its 90D and 110 %humidity out side the fan will just blow hot air.JMO
with a fan you canlower you tank even more the 4 D depends on what temp is out side and in your place :) HTH

Ronen

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Eznet2U,
thanks for posting your cooler, the fact it worked with the heat you had is impressive. I have a 1/2hp chiller and now I'm thinking of setting up a cooler for the hotest days to help lower the chillers work load.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 99.4%
166   1   0
Please enlighten me what the rocksalt was for.....

water and ice make cold water ,,water ,ice and salt ,makes water cold faster and longer ,some with the chemical reaction ,i forgot what exactly it does ,but i know that it will get cold fster and longer

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: