Oddomatic

Reef Enthusiast
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I'm new to the reefing scene, so any help from you guys would be much appreciated! I am going to be setting up a new 28 gallon nano reef in the coming months and I was just wondering if some of the veterans out there can give me some pointers / tips when choosing my layout and building the overall centerpiece structure in my tank. I plan to use either Fiji or Atlantic live rock and will be using live sand as well. I want a lot of caves and crevices for good water flow and am going to try to center the rock pieces in the tank, rather than just build a wall against the rear panel. Thanks for your help!

Juggernot55

Renegade Reefer
Rating - 100%
216   0   0
If you plan on keeping coral you should drill 3/8 or 1/2" holes in the rock it helps when placing frags. I personally like natural stacking. I dont like using epoxy or glue, theres no one using epoxy to stack in the ocean. Plus it helps when you wanna pull a rock out to frag something. Just my $.02

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
If you don't have a personal vision just search photos on the net and find things that you like and just replicate.

Like you already mentioned, keep rocks off the wall and make sure you have good flow.

I always like to play around and try to create depth. i can draw or email you some rock formations if you like.

Try to get something you like before introducing livestock. Many people build a scape, add livestock and continuously have there hands in the tank changing things. [thats what i did when i started] The less your in the tank - The better.

Since this is a new setup and you seem new ill give you a little advice i wish i received.

Try to find some really porous rock, I would buy extra if you dont have the chance to cherry pick and start from there. Your in no RUSH. Find rock with crevices caves and strange formations. This will ultimately help you scape. Find it, then start your cycle. If i were you i would look for some really nice coraline seeded rock. Just examine it and look for pests... Aiptasia and other nuisance algae. If you buy here, check the members feedback and ask them about the rock. Try to stay away from any rock that has no crevices and really heavy. You can always chisel and break rock to make your own formation just be careful and wear goggles.

Live sand isn't necessary but in a small tank its fine. I only say this because to buy dry sand for a nano it will almost definitely be to much sand. Live sand is more expensive than dry sand and its debatable if its even "LIVE" - any sand will become live.

Get a grip on waterchanges - matching salinity / temp etc. Practicing good habits are important. Your doing a nano tank, they have much larger swings and chances for things to go wrong but they are great once you get the hang of it.

Keep your livestock and Feedings to a minimum till you get a grip on what your tank can handle. Which will take time. Choose your purchases carefully. Stuff is not easy to get out without causing destruction!

Last edited:

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Not to threadjack but what are your thoughts on using egg crate on the bottom. I don't really see what benefit it would really have but have seen it done. I have a couple of big sheets here and am cleaning my sand as we speak. Next comes the aquascaping.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Not to threadjack but what are your thoughts on using egg crate on the bottom. I don't really see what benefit it would really have but have seen it done. I have a couple of big sheets here and am cleaning my sand as we speak. Next comes the aquascaping.

I wouldn't mess with it. Traps detritus and doesn't allow critters to move freely.

To the OP... Check out the minimalist aquascape thread on RC. Good stuff there.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Cycle your live rock fully before adding sand. That way the sand does not absorb the crap leeching out of your rock.
I would actually cycle the rock in a large Rubbermaid tub. When it is complete transfer it to the tank. If you want you can get some live rock rubble from an established tank and it will help with some bio diversity.
If you are near Westbury you can get some from me.

Last edited:

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
Def look at pix online and use epoxy, rods s d whatevr else u can.. I did it without a d it's no where near as nice e using these tools.. It gets all covered in coralline and looks amazing...
No one uses half the stuff we use in the ocean.. That's why our reef tanks look better...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: