jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Pretty sure it wasn't cyanide used in collection, these fish came from the Red Sea and were MAC certified fish from what I know, besides most fish collected with cyanide waste away in roughly 6 months not within 2 days, plus there are a few signs associated with cyanide.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Pretty sure it wasn't cyanide used in collection, these fish came from the Red Sea and were MAC certified fish from what I know, besides most fish collected with cyanide waste away in roughly 6 months not within 2 days, plus there are a few signs associated with cyanide.

you said 2 weeks in the last post not 2 days and yes a lfs out here on LI sold me 2 blue throat triggers around 3 years ago and within 2 weeks they were both dead. eating and swimming around like any normal fish even ate the day before they died. well a couple weeks later my friend who works there told me everyone who bought that clutch of triggers all died and they returned there money and found out they were all caught using cyanide and they never dealt with that exporter again

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I meant 2 weeks sorry for that, but as I said there are a few signs associated with cyanide and also being Mac certified, cyanide collection is not used. And I have never heard of cyanide being used in the Red Sea. It could happen but with these 3 variables highly unlikely.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
No, it was the blotches as you describe above... they came and went the first day or so. Had them when I brought them home from being transported and they were gone by later that night. Yes, this is for Nasos! Sorry ;)

Now this make sense. Blotches not spot. Sometimes, even hippo does this but not as much They may even lay flat on the sand looking like dead PROBABLY(I am guessing this part) try to lower hostility from others.

Oh did you see any rotting fin or fighting marks?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Now this make sense. Blotches not spot. Sometimes, even hippo does this but not as much They may even lay flat on the sand looking like dead PROBABLY(I am guessing this part) try to lower hostility from others.

Oh did you see any rotting fin or fighting marks?

They weren't laying flat but were hiding in the rock work in tight spaces the day before they died. I even tried feeding one seaweed while it was in that spot but it didn't touch it... guess it was already gone at that point.

No signs of fighting...

What would a simple QT system consist of? I don't really have the room but could try to squeeze one into my apartment. Would I need a QT for each fish or could I put a few in a single QT?

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
They weren't laying flat but were hiding in the rock work in tight spaces the day before they died. I even tried feeding one seaweed while it was in that spot but it didn't touch it... guess it was already gone at that point.

No signs of fighting...

What would a simple QT system consist of? I don't really have the room but could try to squeeze one into my apartment. Would I need a QT for each fish or could I put a few in a single QT?

I am truly sorry for your losses!! The tangs that you speak of I've known to be a bit more difficult then others. Naso tangs stress very easy, beautiful but delicate especially the smaller ones.

A simple QT would consist of a water tight vessel such as a glass/acrylic tank, or rubbermaid bucket, power head, heater, a few pieces of pvc or anything else that you can put in there just to give the fish places to hide when they want, a hang on filter would be very helpful as well, and a top of some sort to keep fish in.;)
No, you do not need a QT for individual fish. How many you can keep in the QT at one time would depend on the size of the QT, and the size of the fish.

Hope this helps... My very best in the future with happy healthy animals.:hug:

BTW, please do not beat yourself up behind this. We have ALL been there at some point.
I can't tell you how many fish I lost when I shopped at FT USA.

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
This is why I tell everyone to qt fish ,,, At first I didn't believe In it ,,, now I put. Every fish in there no Matterhorn healthy they look. It's not worth the risk to the fish u bought or the fish in ur display system. Everyone qt your fish no matter what ...

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
My qt. 30 breeder and whatever left over equipment I had

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByReefs1349354278.221780.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1349354278.221780.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 76

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
Have you ever quarantined a jumper, or escape artist? I have, hence my recommendation of a top! Fish need to feel safe so they don't stress out so why not give them hiding places?

Yes I made a cover with screen , just the fish I have did not require a cover , that's the reason I forgot to mention it but yes a cover of some kind is crucial. For those fish that love to surf the carpet

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
Have you ever quarantined a jumper, or escape artist? I have, hence my recommendation of a top! Fish need to feel safe so they don't stress out so why not give them hiding places?

I use to have a cpl of PVC pieces in there for the fish that like to hide , but once again I took them out

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: